GDT: #30 | Maple Leafs at FLYERS | Tue., Dec. 12, 7:00 pm ET | TVAS, NBCSP, TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As others have said, it's probably not the greatest idea to match up Patrick with top lines. I feel like Filppula is such a zero anyway that I'd like to try the 0.1.

Patrick hasn't been given much opportunity to succeed. PP2 is bogged down by players that are too indecisive--Filppula--or too green/unsuited for NHL PP usage--Provorov. That unit is such a slow developing, perimeter bound clusterfluck.

Side note, a big frustration: Last night, Hakstol sent out PP2 1st as the Flyers were trying for their 4th goal. I really think if he'd put out PP1, the final 15 minutes of the game wouldn't have been such a gutcheck. Hakstol's like the manifestation of Timonen's comment a couple of seasons ago that the Flyers should be playing for more 2-1 victories. Just such a tight anused, nonsense approach. Fluck Hlakstlol

I think a couple penalties occurred after the first line had a full shift, so he want to sit them at the beginning of the PP to rest them.
Two of the penalties were drawn by Couts.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Wait... I thought Gudas wasn't eligible until the Sabres game? Good point, though--Alt got Gudas minutes last game.

I hope Hakstol finally decides to ice a center between Raffl and Voracek. Best two forward line in the league. But, I guess with that sort of chemistry, some balance is required to prevent ice combustion.

Passable GDT, Dave-o. (Gotta temper the lovefest ;) )

lol passable, my new favorite word ever since a few days back

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Patrick > Filpulla and having strong possession drivers will put him in situations to utilize his elite puck skills far more often.

I think the Coots line had just had a long shift to draw that penalty and that’s why PP2 started.

Agreed on your first point!

I forget if the Flyers had used their timeout yet? Would've been a good spot to use it

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wonder how many of those people on Hak's glad handing tour coated their hands in foul substances before shaking his hand.

But of course Hakstol is a man of the land. Feces does not scare him but only makes him stronger. And his vast experience with domestic hoofed animals has made him immune to most pathogens. So by foul substances I mean various moisturizers, hand creams, and perfumes.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Positive for Hak that they've gotten some wins prior to the best time for a coaching move. If the ties are wins they are in good shape. Most ties were wins until the team went into a complete prevent mode.
The slight change in how they are lining up to protect the blue line in the 3rd is a good move but still creates no offense. When we go to dump and defend it is an easy decision to remove their goalie for an extra attacker because we aren't threatening. Some pressure has to continue.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Great game thread. AWESOME !!!!!!!!! Captain ftw.

Seven more to go to be a .500 team the last 20 games .... :help:

Since Hakstol is penciled in as the HC for the next decade I couldn't care less if they bring over the spirit from the West Coast but they better make sure Komarov remembers what he did. Show some damn pride you suckers.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Positive for Hak that they've gotten some wins prior to the best time for a coaching move. If the ties are wins they are in good shape. Most ties were wins until the team went into a complete prevent mode.
The slight change in how they are lining up to protect the blue line in the 3rd is a good move but still creates no offense. When we go to dump and defend it is an easy decision to remove their goalie for an extra attacker because we aren't threatening. Some pressure has to continue.

Exactly. Those lost 7 points are huge. We’d be in first place before last nights games.

When the coach attacks a question of what’s up with the loses by saying we got the games to OT, now we have to figure out how to win OT, there’s a problem. It’s clear his thinking is we need to hang with teams. That leads to players thinking they are completely fine by blowing a lead and going to OT, which they have done a lot.

I will say it’s an improvement that he puts scorers out with the opponent goalie pulled. That’s payed off a few times. Now he has to realize it’s not about matchups at that point in the game. It’s aboit flow and momentum and the push another team will always give. If you don’t want to play sanhiem late in the third, at least play him earlier to gain more of a lead. Same with TK. Really EVERY successful coach plays this way.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Despite this "conservative" system, Flyers are on pace for their best ES scoring season since 2011-12, and they had a lot more offensive fire power that season.

2017-18 - 178 (prorated)
2016-17 - 154 (with Schenn)
2015-16 - 155
2014-15 - 149
2013-14 - 167
2012-13 - 159 (prorated)
2011-12 - 188 [Giroux, Hartnell, Jagr, Simmonds, Voracek, Briere, Read, Talbot, Couts, JVR]
2010-11 - 194 [Giroux, Briere, Carter, Richards, Leino, Hartnell, JVR, Zherdev, Nodl)

The scoring problems seemed to be talent, not scheme related, as the talent need to field a good 2nd line and decent 3rd line eroded, so did scoring.
The problem this season is special teams, They are -7 on special teams this year, if they had just broken even they'd be playoff eligible.

Last edited:

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Multiple players are going to be weised on Tuesday.

During a Bundy intermission interview: "We are playing weised up hockey . In the next period we need to play without weise-ing. If we do that we should win some board battles and score a couple of goals to get back in the game.

Jonesy: Boy that was a weised play. They cannot get away with passing through the neutral zone while going east-west. They need north-south without those weise-type passes.

Clement: Boy that was a great game. They came out fired up, won the board battles without weise-ing things up.

..........................Sign Man: " NO WEISE-ING TONIGHT"

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2017-2018 - 18th*
2016-2017 - 27th
2015-2016 - 22nd
2014-2015 - 24th
2013-2014 - 16th
2012-2013 - 20th
2011-2012 - 6th
2010-2011 - 2nd

That’s the 5v5 scoring ranks amongst the league in those years which are more telling than raw numbers as scoring rates can change league wide over time.

Reactions: TheKingPin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still makes the same point, the decline in scoring was primarily due to talent, not coaching, the decline started under Lavi, continued under Berube and is finally reversing itself under Hakstol.

And for all the hand wringing over the Schenn trade, we're scoring more without him than the last few years with him.

Even if we weren't adding additional talent, just getting Patrick, Sanheim, Konecny, up a tier could substantially improve scoring next year.
Add Lindblom, MV, NAK, maybe Vorobyev and Myers, and scoring could really jump next season.
In a couple years, we should be able to roll out 4 lines all capable of scoring goals.

Now if we could just fix those special team units, we'd be a legitimate playoff team.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
What's the clients name?

My girlfriends uncle played on that same team.

Going to the game Section 101 row 11. Going with a client who played Junior A, Tier II for the Ottawa 67s in the mid 70s. Denis Potvin was on the team. Denis cleaned his clock in training camp. Saw stars......knew at that moment he was not going to be a NHL player. He is now a chaired professor at UPennMedical.

Great GDT.....Captain!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
2017-2018 - 18th*
2016-2017 - 27th
2015-2016 - 22nd
2014-2015 - 24th
2013-2014 - 16th
2012-2013 - 20th
2011-2012 - 6th
2010-2011 - 2nd

That’s the 5v5 scoring ranks amongst the league in those years which are more telling than raw numbers as scoring rates can change league wide over time.
ES also includes 4v4, 3v3 pond hockey, and 6v5.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Still makes the same point, the decline in scoring was primarily due to talent, not coaching, the decline started under Lavi, continued under Berube and is finally reversing itself under Hakstol.

And for all the hand wringing over the Schenn trade, we're scoring more without him than the last few years with him.

Even if we weren't adding additional talent, just getting Patrick, Sanheim, Konecny, up a tier could substantially improve scoring next year.
Add Lindblom, MV, NAK, maybe Vorobyev and Myers, and scoring could really jump next season.
In a couple years, we should be able to roll out 4 lines all capable of scoring goals.

Now if we could just fix those special team units, we'd be a legitimate playoff team.
I agree more goal production would make a big difference. Comparing our scoring stats to leading teams shows that we're deficient so now how do we increase that production? I think we saw a difference in puck movement on the PP last couple games so maybe we are moving in the right direction and I agree that is a big part. I saw some of the defenders getting into the play deeper which has risk but creates opportunity. Ultimately we need more goals. Since I am lazy (actually my wife is looking at me with that look since I am supposed to be decorating), do you have stats on how our 3rd and 4th lines compare to the rest of the league?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Basically wait for Patrick and Sanheim to grow up.
Patrick will eventually be the 2C and give us a second top scoring line.
Sanheim will be our third puck moving/offensive D-man.
Lindblom, MV could give us a boost at some point this year, eventually NAK and Vorobyev.
Myers will also provide more scoring from the D-core at some point next year.

This is all before the next wave hits, starting in LHV in 2018-19 and pushing for PT either by the spring or 2019-20.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Despite this "conservative" system, Flyers are on pace for their best ES scoring season since 2011-12, and they had a lot more offensive fire power that season.

2017-18 - 178 (prorated)
2016-17 - 154 (with Schenn)
2015-16 - 155
2014-15 - 149
2013-14 - 167
2012-13 - 159 (prorated)
2011-12 - 188 [Giroux, Hartnell, Jagr, Simmonds, Voracek, Briere, Read, Talbot, Couts, JVR]
2010-11 - 194 [Giroux, Briere, Carter, Richards, Leino, Hartnell, JVR, Zherdev, Nodl)

The scoring problems seemed to be talent, not scheme related, as the talent need to field a good 2nd line and decent 3rd line eroded, so did scoring.
The problem this season is special teams, They are -7 on special teams this year, if they had just broken even they'd be playoff eligible.

B. Schenn. He was our PP weapon. He is +24 leading the league in +\-

I hate that trade a lot. Imagine Patrick and Schenn together.

This could have been A dope 1st line.

Giroux--Couturier--Schenn

Reactions: Rebels57

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Today’s Eagle game sure gonna put the spotlight back on the Flyers for me. Hope they can stay on this run

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
B. Schenn. He was our PP weapon. He is +24 leading the league in +\-

I hate that trade a lot. Imagine Patrick and Schenn together.

This could have been A dope 1st line.

Giroux--Couturier--Schenn

Frost might be on the Flyers in 4 years though..

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And Schenn would be 30 at that point.

Frost fits into this teams timeline better. Especially when people finally remember what Schenn is actually like.

What hes actually like is still a 25-30 goal scoring, 55-60 point physical winger.

I hope Frost bucks the trend of 70% of all late 1sts and surpasses that type of production..and I hope next year or the year after while Frost still isnt here we arent a team that is one quality winger away from competing.

Reactions: Umphreys Mcgee

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
That sting hurts a lot less with the way Morgan Frost is playing right now. He might not be ready the next couple of years but when he makes the Flyers, he'll be a difference maker on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad