Post-Game Talk: #3 - Sharks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's amazing how my excitement for a prospect has dwindled based on the coach's decision making. I love Skjei as a prospect, he's got top 4 upside for sure, but he has a super long leash compared to McI and it's annoying.

You don't think a coach should give a 2nd year pro prospect more leeway than a 5th year pro prospect?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
You don't think a coach should give a 2nd year pro prospect more leeway than a 5th year pro prospect?

One was a project from the start who also sustained a few major injuries and slowed down his development..and who cares about "pro" experience..how about NHL experience which is at a completely different level than the AHL? Not everyone develops the same...shame on Sjkei for not leaving college after his second year to turn pro..see how silly that is? Players take different development routes.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The Vesey-Stepan-MZA line is on the verge of breaking out ala the Zib line. You can see it. They are all tenacious on the forecheck and are starting to gel. They all pay a similar game and thrive at turning pucks over.

Kreider-Zib-Nash

That should be the 1st line. Nash played well there

Miller-Hayes-Buch

Ryan Mc. created perfect wall passes to hot Kreider, and then Nash.
Ryan Mcdonagh had a huge game last night with 2 important assist. :)
I agree, I think Nash should be on the top lines with either Step or Zib.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
We have 2 lines that really seem to work well in Kreider-Zbad-Buch and Vesey-Stepan-Zuke, why mess with that? I don't see why JTM-Hayes-Nash won't work if we just give it time, they're 3 very good players. Nash can also carry a line by himself when (if) he gets going. If they get it to work then we would have 3 very good scoring lines, how is that not preferrable?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
so, if we are gonna send Nash to partner w/his budd Thornton, who is coming back? Preferably we take less to gain cap....

SJS has almost 0 cap space. We either have to retain, or they have to send the same amount in salary back.

Something like Dillon/Braun + Bødker for Nash (1m retained) with some small assets added to even things out.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Why would we want Bödker back? He's not good at all, it would be a massive downgrade without saving cap space.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Bottom line, and this is what this non-stop back and forth seems to reflect, is that there are two camps. One camp wants McI to get a consistent chance, and thinks the problem is with AV. The other camp loves AV and thinks McI is his own biggest problem.

Neither side seems likely to convince the other, but if you ask me, you should be far more concerned about the foot of real estate at the top of Vigneault's frame than the one at the top of McI's.

AV has a loooooong track record for making the wrong decisions about defensemen. He's shown the door to three d-men who he insulted, thought "didn't fit his system," or thought were being carried by a partner who was dearer to his heart. All three are now first pair defensemen for other teams.

This isn't an issue of McI in isolation. This is McI as one in a series of AV screw ups, and at least to me, I'm sick of seeing AV's incompetence lead to lost resources for this team.

Every season, this team loses more resources and gets diminishing results. Fire him now before we look like Vancouver when they finally wised up.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I thought Skjei had 3-4 really good plays in the game where he was able to defuse some really tight situations. I must have had my head down during the bad plays everyone seems to be talking about (SJ goals maybe?).

McI looked so slow out there. If we are supposed to be a the fast and dynamic offensive team, Dylan needs to develop his speed and play smarter. His penalty was pretty numb skulled.

I thought Holden was equally up and down. Had a few good passes but noticeably more botches.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
:handclap:

This is a major reason why Skjei has a longer leash, so to speak. More is expected from McIlrath.

And a whole lot more was delivered from him when he was with Yandle but then G "got healthy" aka only had a cracked kneecap and McI was benched.

Mci was better in his stretch with Yandle than Skjei has ever been at this level, that's understandable since Skjei had played less, but this idea that mci would be rewarded with consistent playing time if he just played well is a joke because he played very, very well and was then benched. The coaches explanation was "it's the right thing to do," in other words "I just want to do this and there is no hockey reason whatsoever."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And a whole lot more was delivered from him when he was with Yandle but then G "got healthy" aka only had a cracked kneecap and McI was benched.

Mci was better in his stretch with Yandle than Skjei has ever been at this level, that's understandable since Skjei had played less, but this idea that mci would be rewarded with consistent playing time if he just played well is a joke because he played very, very well and was then benched. The coaches explanation was "it's the right thing to do," in other words "I just want to do this and there is no hockey reason whatsoever."

If McIlrath can only play decent when he is paired with Yandle, trade him to Florida. That just shows you it's Yandle and not so much McIlrath which made it work on that pairing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Bottom line, and this is what this non-stop back and forth seems to reflect, is that there are two camps. One camp wants McI to get a consistent chance, and thinks the problem is with AV. The other camp loves AV and thinks McI is his own biggest problem.

Neither side seems likely to convince the other, but if you ask me, you should be far more concerned about the foot of real estate at the top of Vigneault's frame than the one at the top of McI's.

AV has a loooooong track record for making the wrong decisions about defensemen. He's shown the door to three d-men who he insulted, thought "didn't fit his system," or thought were being carried by a partner who was dearer to his heart. All three are now first pair defensemen for other teams.

This isn't an issue of McI in isolation. This is McI as one in a series of AV screw ups, and at least to me, I'm sick of seeing AV's incompetence lead to lost resources for this team.

Every season, this team loses more resources and gets diminishing results. Fire him now before we look like Vancouver when they finally wised up.

You make two wrong assumptions. One is that I'm trying to convince anyone of anything. The other is that I'm at all enamored with our coach.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
If McIlrath can only play decent when he is paired with Yandle, trade him to Florida. That just shows you it's Yandle and not so much McIlrath which made it work on that pairing.

Nobody said he can only play decent when paired with Yandle. That just happens to have been his partner when he got his only extended look. We're saying we can only know what we have in the player by giving him an extended shot, particularly since he never "lost" the spot he won last year. He was benched for no reason and then got spot opportunities few and far between, including as a freaking winger.

And, as I mentioned earlier, the fact that Yandle/other partners were never as good as Yandle/McIlrath makes it pretty clear that McI had a hand in that pairing's success as well.

You make two wrong assumptions. One is that I'm trying to convince anyone of anything. The other is that I'm at all enamored with our coach.

Then I'm fairly well baffled. Based on what I saw in preseason and even in this game, McI played better than a couple other guys at least. Throwing away an asset for peanuts when that asset, when actually deployed properly, is something this team desperately needs, seems rather stupid. AV has done it three times now, with McI looking like the fourth. Barring blind loyalty to AV, I literally see no logical reason why anyone would support benching McI in favor of Holden (a journeyman who has played brutally at times), Girardi (who is physically a shell of his former self and has never played well in this system), or Skjei (a player who desperately needs a half season or so of work in the minors and who cost this team dearly yesterday).

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Rangers win by 3 and McIlrath is the number one topic of discussion?

Two empty net goals mask the fact that this team almost gave away the win thanks to Skjei's giveaway and AV's willingness to throw the d-pairs into chaos to send a "message" to a player he doesn't like.

Some of us haven't forgotten the start to last year. Winning is great, but winning should never make you ignore serious problems in personnel and/or strategy. The deployment of the D almost cost us a game. It's a concern.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Rangers win by 3 and McIlrath is the number one topic of discussion?

Pretty much, because it could very well have been his last game as a Ranger unfortunately. His last play as a Ranger...defending the goalie. Feel so bad for the kid...works his ass off to get better every year, had it tough with injuries but continued to improve, heart and soul player..and he gets ****ted on by the coach and some fans. Probably a few of the same fans who cried when nobody did anything to defend Lundqvist when he was run over the years...It's sad.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Two empty net goals mask the fact that this team almost gave away the win thanks to Skjei's giveaway and AV's willingness to throw the d-pairs into chaos to send a "message" to a player he doesn't like.

To me, the far bigger story is that the Rangers put up 7 goals against a very good San Jose team.

I saw a lot more to be happy about than to be worried about. This is the best group of forwards since 1994.

They need to make a trade for a top 4 dman sometime this season. I can't imagine they won't do that.

Some posters appear to be more concerned about McIlrath than the team.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
To me, the far bigger story is that the Rangers put up 7 goals against a very good San Jose team.

I saw a lot more to be happy about than to be worried about. This is the best group of forwards since 1994.

They need to make a trade for a top 4 dman sometime this season. I can't imagine they won't do that.

I'm excited about the forwards as well. Last year, I was excited about the team's amazing record and Henrik's absurdly good numbers. We thought the team would figure it out eventually last season as well. Except they didn't. Now I'm more concerned about major strategic blindspots with this team.

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head in a lot of ways. By benching McIlrath and throwing the pairs into chaos, AV seemed to be more concerned about punishing McIlrath than he was about the team.

I want to be excited about this Rangers team. The forward corps leaves a LOT to be excited about. After several seasons of the same bullheaded mistakes though, I just don't trust AV to do the right thing. Our defense is a mess, both in terms of personnel and strategy. AV ran several top-pair quality/potential defensemen out of town in favor of guys like Staal, Girardi, Moore and Holden. He then insists on using a system that is quite possibly the worst kind of system for his preferred kind of D-man.

Until AV is gone, I just don't see this team making it out of the first round unless Henrik drags them there kicking and screaming.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Agreed. Funny how so much of the team looks good, and so many people are so hung up on defending the few guys who were mediocre at best because of personal agendas.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
My personal agenda is that I want to see young Rangers players doing well. On balance so far that's going well. Kreider especially so since he is showing for real what many of us thought he had the potential to deliver. This is exactly what I've wanted from him since he first stepped on the ice in our jersey. On the other side of that is McIlrath. Who is a player with the kind of toughness I've felt the organization badly needed. But I understand that is just an opinion on my part. It's also my opinion that toughness is a dirty word to some around here. He's a good kid with lot's of heart who's worked very hard and played very well last year. But now he's having a difficult time adapting to our current system. Love the system. Hate that he's probably all but left behind. It is what it is. Take the good with the bad and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad