Post-Game Talk: #3 - Sharks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Look, I disliked the McIlrath pick when it was made, but since he became part of the team, I've rooted for his success, since after all, there was no way to go back and undo the mistake. I've watched him a fair bit in Hartford in addition to his play with the Rangers, and when he's been good, I have said so. He improved in HFD. He did a fairly respectable job during his extended run last year. He was one of the better defensemen in the first preseason game when both squads included a ton of invites and AHLers. But outside of that, he's been bad too - including every game this year AFTER the first PS game. And while he does have good aspects to his game (subtle passes in the d-zone, bomb from the point, straight ahead speed, size & strength), he also has his issues (pivoting, covering forwards 1-on-1 on the rush, lateral movement, decision making, awareness of game situation), which are significant and which, whenever they seem to improve, constantly regress once again. He's 24 1/2. He isn't some special bundle of talent (maybe he was and was derailed by that first injury, but if so, it is what it is), he's a middling prospect who right now is looking like a bottom pair D, IF he makes it at all. And he's on the cusp of no longer being a prospect. Maybe a change of situation and a new start will help him. But as it is, this is a guy who's not working out here and who is responsible for his own short leash, because he keeps screwing up when given a chance. The angst over him when the rest of the team is playing well (including other defensemen like McD, Staal, Clendening, and Skjei in his first two games) is incredibly frustrating, and honestly is building into an echo chamber, so if I'm "on a high horse" about it, that's why.

As long as you can admit that every part of this analysis is completely subjective and can't be proven, then yeah, it's fine to have this opinion just like it should be fine that other people's opinion is that McIlrath needs to play consistently to be a productive NHL player.

Deleted member 23124

Losing Del Zotto was a blow to the Flyers down the stretch. He's been a key player for them, even on the PK. But I don't plan to fight that fight again. People here despise Del Zotto, and most refuse to even consider the fact that he was only truly bad under AV.

Considering what the Flyers defense has been over recent years, this is hardly a ringing endorsement to him being a high end defenseman.

Correct me if I'm wrong....wasn't he benched and sent to the minors under Torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad