Post-Game Talk: #3 | FLYERS 3 at Ducks 2 (OT) | Sat. Oct. 7, 10:00 pm ET

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I was away from a TV all weekend, so I apologize if this has been talked about. When is the last time the Flyers have gotten 4 points out of the California trip??!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
After seeing how they handled Laughton, I think they'll give Morin his chance, however long it takes. I'm sure they love the kid and his character and want him to succeed.

My guess is, barring an injury, they make a determination on one of Gudas/MacDonald this summer. Next year we're talking Ghost year 4, Provorov year 3, Hagg and Sanheim year 2.....that's a lot more experience where you can part with a veteran (though they are so wary of that). But then you have Myers who could push at some point next year, which further clouds Morin's future. I said a few months ago that Hagg or Morin could be a determination long-term. Hagg certainly has the edge on Morin right now, and his side versatility is a bonus. Morin's value probably can only go up with NHL time, so I'm not sure they're hitting the panic switch this year or need to. I could see Morin fully starting next year and potentially being traded by the deadline. But maybe they feel confident in their evaluation of Morin and make a big package deal this summer.

I could see a big packaged deal. I know there are two players I would be interested in. Seguin and Duchene. Dallas beat reporter last year stated that if the team struggles again with all that fire power that they may look to deal him with one year left.

We have assets. We have big time assets. First rounders+ prospects. The only worry is the price tag for Seguin. It’s going to come in at 10 million most likely. The cap would need to keep rising for us to secure him long term. Or trade a highly paid player.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If and when Morin gets into the line up he will not be traded in the future or showcased.. Smh (Not only is he fn good he'll be a fan favorite.) I do think however he is being groomed to take Gudas's spot. Gudas has value and has done well playing a top 4 role for the Flyers. On the 3rd pair playing less minutes that is likely to dissipate.
Nope.

Gudas plays on the right, Morin exclusively on the left.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I could see a big packaged deal. I know there are two players I would be interested in. Seguin and Duchene. Dallas beat reporter last year stated that if the team struggles again with all that fire power that they may look to deal him with one year left.

We have assets. We have big time assets. First rounders+ prospects. The only worry is the price tag for Seguin. It’s going to come in at 10 million most likely. The cap would need to keep rising for us to secure him long term. Or trade a highly paid player.

As if Dallas would ever trade Seguin. He's a 1C. Their problem has always been D and goaltending. Thye wont trade a young star in some knee jerk reaction. Even if they did they would be stupid to trade seguin for Patrick +. Patrick will likely never become what Seguin is

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks MSE! Great trip. I only saw highlights, but it looked like Patrick had at least 2 slick passes, one for a goal!

This article could be of interest, written prior to last night's game. And, by the way, he was the Flyers best faceoff man at Anaheim.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...on-nhl-seems-smooth-sean-couturier/743112001/

“I like the way he thinks the game. He’s pretty smart,” Couturier said. “Even without the puck it’s huge as a young guy when you’re coming into the league and you know you have the offensive skills to make a lot of plays with the puck. Sometimes guys have a hard time without the puck adapting and not costing the team. I think he’s doing a really good job being in the right position all the time, supporting all the guys and once he gets the puck you can see he knows what to do with it and controls the play.”

The toughest tweak, he said, has been faceoffs. He’s been last on the team in that category at 41.2 percent.
“When you’re going strength on strength against a guy on faceoffs, being a younger guy it’s tough to win it that way,” Patrick said. “You just use speed to try and win and do different things.”

Taking draws can be especially difficult for young players. Veterans have had the time to build relationships with linesmen and get away with a little bit more. And during the preseason this year the league made a conscious effort to crack down on the new “faceoff violation” rule, which keeps centers from cheating on draws and moving their sticks before the puck has been dropped.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
As if Dallas would ever trade Seguin. He's a 1C. Their problem has always been D and goaltending. Thye wont trade a young star in some knee jerk reaction. Even if they did they would be stupid to trade seguin for Patrick +. Patrick will likely never become what Seguin is
I’m just stating what the best reporter said. And I don’t think it’s that far fetched. They do need defense and goaltending but how are they going to get that? Both take a long time to develop.

And no package for Suguin would ever include Patrick. Have to build one around prospects and high high picks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

After spending 3 years digging out of cap hell, I doubt Hextall wants to dive back in.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Re: Travis Sanheim and Robert Hagg and the Ducks' first goal:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...-appears-paying-off-win-over-ducks/743921001/

“Both D were in a pretty good position,” Hakstol said. “We got beat in a 2-on-2 on the wall. One of their players spun off of that battle and ended up catching Sanny in between. Really there’s not a lot I’d ask him to do differently on that play.”

Young players not looking over their shoulder after every mistake is something that can go a long way. Last year it didn’t seem to do well for the players’ psyche to sit because they made mistakes.

“Does that mean they’re going to get an opportunity the very next night or the very next shift? Not always. Not always,” Hakstol said. “But guys need to have the confidence to know they’re going to have another opportunity to go back and do the things that they need to do well.”

Reactions: BernieParent

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I’m just stating what the best reporter said. And I don’t think it’s that far fetched. They do need defense and goaltending but how are they going to get that? Both take a long time to develop.

And no package for Suguin would ever include Patrick. Have to build one around prospects and high high picks.
Think about the proposed deal and tell me you believe it isnt highly unlikely. They wont trade a young star in his prime who produces at an elite level. A true 1C is the 2nd most valuable asset to have. The Flyers dont have a 1D to trade. That deal is some dead in the water ****. Even if Nill called up Hextall and put Seguin on the table do you really think he would trade him for Sanheim + picks? GTFO. It would be Patrick + Sanheim realistically and thats a non-starter on our end. Hence no deal

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Think about the proposed deal and tell me you believe it isnt highly unlikely. They wont trade a young star in his prime who produces at an elite level. A true 1C is the 2nd most valuable asset to have. The Flyers dont have a 1D to trade. That deal is some dead in the water ****. Even if Nill called up Hextall and put Seguin on the table do you really think he would trade him for Sanheim + picks? GTFO. It would be Patrick + Sanheim realistically and thats a non-starter on our end. Hence no deal

What did Seguin get traded for from Boston? We all think the package to get players are always more than they usually are.

I understand that he has developed since arriving in Dallas but Boston traded a young star who just came off a 67 point full season.

He will also be a UFA after next year. It hurts Boston’s potential in getting multiple assets like a Sanheim and Patrick because they are under control for the next 6+ years.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The biggest difference this year is that, even when they aren't playing well (like all those horribly sloppy passes last night), they're still fast as hell and getting scoring chances.

The improvement between this year and last year is massive. So much more entertaining now.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ok Morin, I have released you from the shackles of my avatar. I am sorry I jinxed you. Hopefully you start soon and show them the beast you are.

You could use this one - it's more of a triumvirate than a tripod, but it could work, since they are your favorite guys:

booLMMr.jpg

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I think the Flyers will make a big trade next summer but I think Doughty will be the target. Hextall has been rumored to want a big time right hander since he got to Philly.

The Flyers already have a lot of money tied up in veteran forwards with the possibility of Simmonds being added to that mix and very little in defense. Looking at 2nd contracts for defensemen, Hextall could keep the rest of the defense corp cheap for the foreseeable future. The young forwards will also be cheap because without PP1 time, I doubt any would put up huge numbers enough to justify giant 2nd contracts.

Reactions: Prongo

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm usually saying more needs to go out, but Patrick + Sanheim for Seguin is just not how it works anymore. We've seen a recent trend toward 1-for-1 trades, but if they elect to seek a package, these deals just aren't structured around 2 huge prospects, especially with the primary asset being a pending UFA. If Dallas wants to rebuild and wants to diversify, it's one premium prospect and add a first, then the negotiations start. Take one or two of another pick, a solid prospect, a young NHLer, eating a contract, etc.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad