Injury Report: 3/5/14 Update: Steven Stamkos (broken tibia) cleared to play!!!

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Isn't the goal supposed to dislodge before something like this can happen?

With how he ran into it, I wouldn't be surprised if would've broken his leg even if the net wasn't moored to the ice at all. Those things are heavy, and the only point of contact was his shin.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I think he will be out for the rest of the season and we should in no way rush him back, it's more important that he will be back in full strength for the next season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, the main thing is getting him back at 100%, whenever that is.

Kevotron

Jan 24, 2008
Edmonton
Oiler fan here, Taylor Fedun broke his femur couple seasons ago and took a full year to rehab, I would imagine soonest Stamkos could come back from this injury would be ~6 months, just seems like anything broken with bone won't just take a few months....
heres hoping he has a speedy recovery.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'd rather him come back 100% ready to play then come back early and maybe set his recovery back. Take your time, Stammer. Team better ****ing rally.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It really, really could be. I was fearing 12 months. Tibia is bad, but not catastrophic.

Stammer's a warrior. He'll be back to his best at some point.

Definitely could've been way worse. I was fearing severe knee damage or damage to other ligaments which enters 'career-damaging' spectrum. A bone break is bad but he will eventually be able to come back and have no new physical limitations.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Oiler fan here, Taylor Fedun broke his femur couple seasons ago and took a full year to rehab, I would imagine soonest Stamkos could come back from this injury would be ~6 months, just seems like anything broken with bone won't just take a few months....
heres hoping he has a speedy recovery.

A femoral break is much worse than a tibia break

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Bruins fan just wanted to wish a speedy recovery for Stamkos.

Not sure what the time table is for a broken tibia-think Campbell broke his fibula and required surgery-his recovery was about 8 to 10 weeks.

The tibia (shin) is the major weight bearing bone of the lower leg. The fibula is the thinner, more lateral bone that provides minimal weight support. A tibial fracture MAY require 3 months or more before weight bearing is even recommended.

Slim Cognito*

From what I understand, this is more of a "pain tolerance" issue. We should see Stamkos back on the ice pretty soon.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
For those wondering if Drouin is an option:

brad ‏@baucoin19
@rinkrant can Tampa recall drouin now that stamkos is out for a while
John Moore ‏@rinkrant
@baucoin19 NHL teams can call up players on emergency recall but they may look to the AHL & the red hot Nikita Kucherov.
Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
@rinkrant @baucoin19 Emergency conditions are complicated. Suffice to say, a lot of players would have to be injured before this could apply

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
From what I understand, this is more of a "pain tolerance" issue. We should see Stamkos back on the ice pretty soon.

What? Not sure if serious. If reports are true, his tibia is broken so badly it requires surgery. This is not about pain tolerance.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Definitely could've been way worse. I was fearing severe knee damage or damage to other ligaments which enters 'career-damaging' spectrum. A bone break is bad but he will eventually be able to come back and have no new physical limitations.

I'm pretty sure Steve Yzerman, ironically, injured his knee on a very similar play when he was about Stamkos's age, and it stayed with him throughout his career until he finally had realignment surgery in his late thirties. I can't find video of it, and I could be wrong, but I think he was injured after crashing into a goal post. 1988.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Bs fan here. Hockey is a better sport with people like Stammer in the game, and Boston is forced to be a better team with him on the other side of the dot. Loss for the overall game, and every other player in the league that wants to play against the best. Speedy recovery wishes from the Hub.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I could see the team making no roster changes for tomorrow and figure out potential call-ups afterwards. Even without Stamkos, Aulie and Salo we could ice a full team against Montreal:

Killorn - Filppula - St. Louis
Malone - Connolly - Purcell
Palat - Johnson - Panik
Labrie - Thompson - Crombeen

Carle - Gudas
Hedman - Sustr
Barberio - Brewer

Bishop
Lindback

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
I'm pretty sure Steve Yzerman, ironically, injured his knee on a very similar play when he was about Stamkos's age, and it stayed with him throughout his career until he finally had realignment surgery in his late thirties. I can't find video of it, and I could be wrong, but I think he was injured after crashing into a goal post. 1988.

The mind-meld is working!

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Sens fan here, I know what you're going through. Just remember that hockey is a team sport and you guys can make the playoffs without stamkos.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Sens fan here, I know what you're going through. Just remember that hockey is a team sport and you guys can make the playoffs without stamkos.

Dear lord, I had forgotten all about Karlson.

If Ottawa made the playoffs last year with their roster and without their star player, we can with ours. If this season has taught me anything, it's how important coaching is to a team. We can make the playoffs. We can do it. Then Stammer will be back, and we'll go on a great run.

You have given me hope danish...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad