GDT: 3/20/18 @ San Jose Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Its just not true.

Why hasn't the defense been a problem for Kinkaid? At least it hasn't the same way it has for Cory.

Keith is 9-3 with a .928. Cory 0-9-2 with and .868. Relatively during the same period of time.

There is no rationalizing this. The Defense/team can't be credited for one set of 11 and blamed for the other.

This is 100% Cory.

it's obvious when we're outplaying other teams but our chances don't go in but every one of the other team's chances go in. head to head he's being outplayed by the other goalie consistently

Reactions: mtnet

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Its just not true.

Why hasn't the defense been a problem for Kinkaid? At least it hasn't the same way it has for Cory.

Keith is 9-3 with a .928. Cory 0-9-2 with and .868. Relatively during the same period of time.

There is no rationalizing this. The Defense/team can't be credited for one set of 11 and blamed for the other.

This is 100% Cory.

Defense was a problem last game, and also was last night.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
PA-leeeze.

The Severson talk is solely to distract from the fact that Cory is costing us the season and still has 4 years remaining at 6 million per...

Reactions: Csonked Out

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's having a real problem with the butterfly since he came back, outside of maybe that first game when he looked the best he's looked since he came back.

That's gotta be the groin acting up or tender or something.

He kind of looks like a broken ball joint when he goes into the butterfly and sometimes he can't even get into the butterfly, which shows with the high number of 5-hole goals. He kind of looks like a car when the wheels come intact from a broken ball joint or something.

Don't ask me why I use so many car analogies. I like cars, but I'm not like an old antique hot rod owner or anything.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Defense was a problem last game, and also was last night.
Not as big of a problem as a goalie that can't make a stop...did you see the chances Jones stopped on the other end? We didn't give up as many like that. We just didn't a single freaking stop.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Do you think it's lazy or dumb? I am going with dumb. They are both skill players that try hard. It's just that their risks keep burning them.
Mostly dumb, but Severson definitely outright quit on a couple of those goals last night.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How about that sequence (it was still the 1st) where they were doing the 5 man skater goalie firing squad thing? It was almost like they were playing scared and were afraid a puck was gonna go in any time someone in teal even dared to pretend to fire a puck. I wish I remember what skaters were on the ice. Maybe Lovejoy and Butcher were the defense pairing? Maybe it was Severson and Moore? I don't think it was Greene.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Its just not true.

This is 100% Cory.

What's the excuse for Keith prior to his streak though? The defense has been bad all season with regards to giving up good looks too frequently. Kinkaid just had a ridiculous streak recently where that didn't matter. Of course we'd like for Cory to do something similar but that shoulnt be considered the norm for Kinkaid.

And we shouldn't expect our goalies to play like Kinkaid has recently. Not only because they haven't shown they can sustain that play over long stretches recently but because it's unfair to play such poor defense and expect the goalies to bail us out time and time again.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
What's the excuse for Keith prior to his streak though? The defense has been bad all season with regards to giving up good looks too frequently. Kinkaid just had a ridiculous streak recently where that didn't matter. Of course we'd like for Cory to do something similar but that shoulnt be considered the norm for Kinkaid.

And we shouldn't expect our goalies to play like Kinkaid has recently. Not only because they haven't shown they can sustain that play over long stretches recently but because it's unfair to play such poor defense and expect the goalies to bail us out time and time again.

I think the major factor is that while both of our goalies haven't had very good seasons, Keith has managed to stick to his fundamentals and perform when the situation got desperate for his team on a crucial late-season road trip that many of us were worried we wouldn't win three let alone still having a chance to win four. That goes a long way in appeasing fans dying to watch playoff hockey again.

Cory hasn't done this.

Reactions: mtnet

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
This is the night that the playoff picture went from MORE likely to LESS likely in my eyes. I think you have to acknowledge that there is a better chance of the Devils missing the playoffs than making it no matter how rosy red your glasses are.

Right now its all hands on deck desperation. Schneider is done. At least for the season. There is something very clearly wrong with him. There is no time to figure it out... there really never was in retrospect. He should go away from the team at this point... back on IR with a reoccurance of the groin injury and bring Lack back up to be Kinkaid's backup and just go with it. It's not a good situation at all, I am not suggesting that Lack is a good goaltender (although I do believe he has as many playoff wins as Schneider career or close to it)... but the point is this is now a toxic situation and needs to be removed from the team for this home stretch. Deal with the fallout - which is significant - later.

Reactions: New Jersey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

It was never bad. Go look at the game logs. Not sure why people refuse to admit this. Your backup playing 3 times a month is 5-1 at one point and 10-7 at his absolutely worst he's doing an awesome job. 3 games after he was 10-7 he was 13-7.

I broke down Keith's season numerous times...he never had a losing month except for December and he only played 2 games that month. Keith has been winning all season. He had 3 bad games in row and besides that stretch his season has been solids winning games all season. And he's not that good. Cory is just that bad.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
It was never bad. Go look at the game logs. Not sure why people refuse to admit this. Your backup playing 3 times a month is 5-1 at one point and 10-7 at his absolutely worst he's doing an awesome job. 3 games after he was 10-7 he was 13-7.

I broke down Keith's season numerous times...he never had a losing month except for December and he only played 2 games that month. Keith has been winning all season. He had 3 bad games in row and besides that stretch his season has been solids winning games all season. And he's not that good. Cory is just that bad.

Never bad? Didn't he have a save percentage in the .880s and a GAA of over 3.20 at one point? Sorry this isn't 1980 where that was Vezina worthy. That is bad. Wins or not. He's definitely improved since then, but to suggest that wasn't bad is ridiculous.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
We essentially need to win out and hit 100 points at this juncture. You can't rely on Columbus and Florida to drop points.

It's getting bleak.
If we get in, I think it is as likely it's at the Flyers' expense than it is the other two.

We're going to be the team that is chasing very soon.

Let's see if it spurs some pushback from the boys...

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Never bad? Didn't he have a save percentage in the .880s and a GAA of over 3.20 at one point? Sorry this isn't 1980 where that was Vezina worthy. That is bad. Wins or not. He's definitely improved since then, but to suggest that wasn't bad is ridiculous.

The team scores lots of goals for Keith, that's a massive factor.

Now if we want to meander into sports psychology and hypothesize about how Cory's lack of confidence is infectious, that's a whole separate discussion, but I'm beginning to think it's somewhat plausible.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Hynes should have left Cory in last night. He's been sitting enough already, getting pulled there does not save his confidence. He needs to battle through this.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You really have to be utterly insane to suggest that goaltending isn’t the number one reason why we’re going miss the playoffs. Insane.
If we end up missing by a few points, it will either be goaltending or getting jobbed by officiating decisions in 3 or 4 games that will be an easy culprit.

Reactions: Bleedred

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If we get in, I think it is as likely it's at the Flyers' expense than it is the other two.

We're going to be the team that is chasing very soon.

Let's see if it Spurs some pushback from the boys...
It’s gonna take a team going well below .500 in this last stretch. The Flyers are the only team that could do that considering their pathetic goaltending which may be worse than ours. The Jackets and Panthers simply aren’t going to. This team is gonna have to win 7 or 8 of 9 otherwise. Lol good luck.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
According to Jim's logic a goalie who gives up 4 goals every night and wins 55% of his games would be superior to a goalie who gives up 2 every night but only wins 48% of his games.

Before Kinkaid's 9-3 run he was 10-7-2 and had given up 3 or more goals 13 times. So please don't tell me Kinkaid has been "just fine" all year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The team scores lots of goals for Keith, that's a massive factor.

Now if we want to meander into sports psychology and hypothesize about how Cory's lack of confidence is infectious, that's a whole separate discussion, but I'm beginning to think it's somewhat plausible.

Does the team score a lot for Keith or does Cory kill momentum?

Seems like the team 5 years ago the team miraculously scored a lot for Brodeur too...and nobody is the same except for Cory on those teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad