GDT: 3/20/18 @ San Jose Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory should be done for the season. We can't afford to play him right now.
The scary thing is that he looks worse and worse every game. With each game that he plays since coming back from that injury, he looks progressively worse. Like he didn't even look bad against Florida until he allowed that brutal goal with like 7 minutes left in the game. He was having a damn good game before that, probably his best since late December. He allowed one goal on like 25 shots before that happened and it was a borderline questionable goal to begin with, if you remember. That goal is probably goalie interference if we scored it.

Now I said back when he had lost like 7 in a row and allowed 3+ in each game, that he wasn't playing as poorly as his numbers suggested, but that he had played kinda poorer than his numbers suggested back in October and November and these were percentages getting even, but since he's come back he's been a real mess. He looked good in the Florida game, outside of the one really bad goal. He looked bad against Vegas, he looked even worse against Winnipeg, last night was the worst game I've ever seen him play, if we're going by eye test. That reminded me of Marty in Ottawa in 2013.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Blaming one player for this is as stupid as it is lazy. Our secondary scoring doing **** all while Hall kept the team afloat, or the PP failing to come up in key situations, or the team playing like complete ass in games, or the backup goalie playing poorly earlier in the year, or any other number of factors have led to this.
Of course it's a number of factors. But Schneider is definitely the largest factor.

Reactions: mtnet

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Are Severson and Moore going to face any consequences for their lazy and terrible play over the last few games? I'm guessing no.

Reactions: Take Notes

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Of course it's a number of factors. But Schneider is definitely the largest factor.
Goaltending is definitely a huge factor in this season. While Kinkaid has been good lately (and Cory was very good in December), he punted away some points earlier on. Even as recently as February. Even Lack was brutal in that Boston game he played. Now Cory's punting away the points.

Our team save percentage is below average. Kinkaid has done well for a career backup (I don't think he's good enough to be a starter) that's started 30 games this year, which is more than he probably should be playing, but with last night's game, Cory's save percentage is down where it was last year (1 point higher) and it's a trend now.

He probably doesn't need to be a .920% guy anymore, but can he at least be like a .915% guy like Rask has been the last several years, since he fell out of being a perennial .920+% guy? .915% and .908 is a huge difference when you miss the playoffs by 4-5 points, which is how many points (at the very most) we'll be missing the playoffs by if we do miss them and probably by even fewer points than that.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Schneider is not the largest factor in the loss yesterday. Not even close. I can’t believe on page 74 Schneider is still the topic of conversation and taking blame for the loss. He’s not playing well, obviously. But the Devils literally couldn’t gain the zone with possession last night and they had the worst defensive zone coverage I’ve ever seen, in addition to giving up about 15 odd man rushes.

Agreed with the above post that focusing on Schneider is as lazy as it gets.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's offensively lazy to point at one single aspect of this team and say that's the reason the season is going down the drain.

How about the awful left side of the defense?
How about the offense from our rookies that carried us early and completely dried up after January?
How about the major injuries to regulars like Palmieri, Johansson, Boyle, Gibbons, and now Zacha and Wood?
How about the terrible officiating that directly cost us multiple points in the standings?
How about the our bottom-6 guys going quiet for long stretches?
How about the fact that no one on the team besides Hall and Vatanen did *ANYTHING* during the months of January and February?
How about the PP and PK both going through terrible patches at important times?
How about the head scratching personnel decisions by this coaching staff in regards to scratches, demotions, and benchings?

And yes, goaltending was a major issue this season, both players largely played poorly this year.

This team has been a all-around clusterf*** since the Buffalo game.

Reactions: GameSeven and tr83

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just average goaltending gets the team in the playoffs easily even with their other issues. Thing is we didn’t exactly expect the seventeen non-Hall guys to keep overachieving so pointing out those issues is slightly nitpicking to me, other than the fiasco that is the PP. But we did expect the starting goaltender to eventually be better than poor.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Luckily I fell asleep before puck drop.

The Sev's criticism is on the 3rd goal I believe. But Maroon was back, he's just slow.

4th goal didn't look like a bad pinch, especially down 2 goals, he just didn't make the play.

Overall he was on for 2 goals for, and 2 goals against.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Schneider is not the largest factor in the loss yesterday. Not even close. I can’t believe on page 74 Schneider is still the topic of conversation and taking blame for the loss. He’s not playing well, obviously. But the Devils literally couldn’t gain the zone with possession last night and they had the worst defensive zone coverage I’ve ever seen, in addition to giving up about 15 odd man rushes.

Agreed with the above post that focusing on Schneider is as lazy as it gets.
Did you read my posts? I am talking about the last three months, not last night (which I did not watch).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's offensively lazy to point at one single aspect of this team and say that's the reason the season is going down the drain.

How about the awful left side of the defense?
How about the offense from our rookies that carried us early and completely dried up after January?
How about the major injuries to regulars like Palmieri, Johansson, Boyle, Gibbons, and now Zacha and Wood?
How about the terrible officiating that directly cost us multiple points in the standings?
How about the our bottom-6 guys going quiet for long stretches?
How about the fact that no one on the team besides Hall and Vatanen did *ANYTHING* during the months of January and February?
How about the PP and PK both going through terrible patches at important times?
How about the head scratching personnel decisions by this coaching staff in regards to scratches, demotions, and benchings?

And yes, goaltending was a major issue this season, both players largely played poorly this year.

This team has been a all-around cluster**** since the Buffalo game.
Some of what you are saying I agree with, some not so much. Like bottom 6 scoring? It's been very good this year. I also don't agree with the coaching criticism. Who has he benched that has been an issue? Bratt? Your saying yourself his offense has dried up(though I think your wrong on rookie scoring too as Coleman and Nico have both maintained offense).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You have to think that there is something physically or even mentally wrong with Cory.

i would agree with this...i don't think he's physically 100%. you can say it's his gonads or his confidence, but his lateral movement looks like shit.

if he's not 100% and he's playing anyway, somebody needs to be held accountable for that. that's inexcusable, especially when he's playing like absolute dogshit

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i would agree with this...i don't think he's physically 100%. you can say it's his gonads or his confidence, but his lateral movement looks like ****.

if he's not 100% and he's playing anyway, somebody needs to be held accountable for that. that's inexcusable, especially when he's playing like absolute dog****
let's not go blaming coaches for Cory's play.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it's clearly mental for cory and that's why we can't afford to play him as our starter anymore. not being able to win has definitely crept into his mind and once one goal goes in it snowballs now

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It is pretty odd how streaky we have been. Win 3, lose 3 win 3, lose 4, win 3, lose 2.
Seriously.

We have one win between two losses since mid-December. That Montreal win a couple weeks ago in between the Vegas and Winnipeg losses.

I don't even think we have one loss in between two wins since mid-December.

There's nothing isolated for this team anymore, as far as a one-off and rarely a one-off win. Every loss just spirals. The only redeeming factor is that most of the wins also spiral.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the team started slow in nashville and in vegas, but kinkaid kept them in it and they were able to find their games and win. they started slow last night and by the time they were able to start mounting sustained pressure they gave up a deflating goal

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It is definitely not 100% on Cory. But it's mostly on him. The defense has been terrible too but some of the goals he regularly allows are inexcusable and just kill the team during a game.
Its just not true.

Why hasn't the defense been a problem for Kinkaid? At least it hasn't the same way it has for Cory.

Keith is 9-3 with a .928. Cory 0-9-2 with and .868. Relatively during the same period of time.

There is no rationalizing this. The Defense/team can't be credited for one set of 11 and blamed for the other.

This is 100% Cory.

Reactions: haak84

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Are Severson and Moore going to face any consequences for their lazy and terrible play over the last few games? I'm guessing no.

Do you think it's lazy or dumb? I am going with dumb. They are both skill players that try hard. It's just that their risks keep burning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad