GDT: 3/19/24 9pm Hawks @ Kings NBC sports Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Why would you not extend Anderson? He's +7 on a god awful team and has been good with Dickinson whether with Foligno or Blackwell.

1.38 even strength points per 60 is 282/446 amongst NHL forwards that have played in at least 20 games and his shooting percentage is way below his career average. I think the Hawks should extend him on a cheap two year deal.
They are going to keep Raddysh IMO hes close with Bedard off the ice and is good enough for that 13th spot at league minimum.

Bedard
Kurashev
Folgino
Dickinson
Donato
Anthansiou
Reichel
Slaggert
Hall
Raddysh

That leaves 3 spots open. Blackwell? Celebrini? Dach? Nazar? Free agents?

There is not much room next year for Anderson, Entwistle, Johnson.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
They are going to keep Raddysh IMO hes close with Bedard off the ice and is good enough for that 13th spot at league minimum.

Bedard
Kurashev
Folgino
Dickinson
Donato
Anthansiou
Reichel
Slaggert
Hall
Raddysh

not very player they sign has to be in the NHL. some can be signed as insurance against injury and start the year in the AHL

Probably need to outbid the KHL for him, which doesn't make sense for a 7th DMan. I don't see it happening.
there are only 3-4 players making over a mil in the KHL and they are just over. IE about $1 mil even

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Bedard
Kurashev
Folgino
Dickinson
Donato
Anthansiou
Reichel
Slaggert
Hall
Raddysh

I’d renounce Entwistle and R. Johnson. Re-sign Raddysh and Anderson for peanuts. Give yourself about 16 forwards that you’re ok with, to leave a couple of room for injuries. If you have perfect health, start the waiver exempt guys in the AHL unless they make themselves impossible to send down and go from there.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
there are only 3-4 players making over a mil in the KHL and they are just over. IE about $1 mil even
This list of three years ago shows around 80 players making enough to be around $1 million usd and it’s not taxed. With Zaitsev’s nhl experience and the fact that prior to a few years ago, khl teams were outsourcing a lot of DMen to euro imports that left the league, I think he’d be in demand. The lack of tax is effectively a forty percent boost on his salary. If tie goes to playing at home in top of that, I think he’d be looking at around $2 million to stay in nhl. Given his age, there is no incentive to take any lower and hope for a bigger deal next time.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
not very player they sign has to be in the NHL. some can be signed as insurance against injury and start the year in the AHL

Yes different story if you are signing him to a 2-way. Fine with that.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So this was game #69...Only 13 more remaining before our doormats hit the golf course.

Howver very dangerous in range to catch the Ducks...only 6 points back of them.

Since SJ is so lousy that should beca win the game after we plat the Ducks...So very important we lose to the Ducks if we want to stay 3ndvlast ..Otgerwise 4rd last and worst case is only 5th pick overall.

Unless a team drafting 2nd orc3rd tales a dman for need ,then if we drFt 4th orv5th after very bad lotto luck pushed us down 2 pots then we will not get our pick of Lindstrom (best need fit) or Demidov(best BPA after Celebrini)..

So LR needs to pull out all the stops to lose to the Ducks next game..Play Megan and Kk and Tinordi a lot!!!

This game isxa big huge 4 point swing game..

Have got to lose i because no guarantee teams picking 2ndborc3rd will take a dman in this high spots..

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
This list of three years ago shows around 80 players making enough to be around $1 million usd and it’s not taxed. With Zaitsev’s nhl experience and the fact that prior to a few years ago, khl teams were outsourcing a lot of DMen to euro imports that left the league, I think he’d be in demand. The lack of tax is effectively a forty percent boost on his salary. If tie goes to playing at home in top of that, I think he’d be looking at around $2 million to stay in nhl. Given his age, there is no incentive to take any lower and hope for a bigger deal next time.

Three years ago they weren't actively fighting a war. The KHL fell off hard.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

But when I said it? I had an agenda.

I don't recall anyone ever saying you had an agenda when it came to him. I imagine most would have agreed with you that he needs to be a more physical presence, and meaner. He does. That comes with experience in the NHL, and confidence. I only ever said I thought you were overly critical of him at times.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
How about his partner?

And....it no longer has talent coming from outside Russia to play there, which has a huge impact on pretty much everything.
If anything you'd think it would inflate the price of talent if you're pulling from a smaller pool and that's been the topic of conversation.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
But they're all Russian, with no options to go to other leagues to make more. So the KHL can pay them whatever they want.
I believe they can play wherever they want, the KHL just pays better than every league that isn't the NHL outside of maybe the Swiss and it's home.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I believe they can play wherever they want, the KHL just pays better than every league that isn't the NHL outside of maybe the Swiss and it's home.

There are huge travel restrictions for Russians in most of Europe.

Keep in mind the KHL lost Jokerit and Dinamo Riga as a result of the war in Ukraine, as well. Those were two of the bigger draws.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't recall anyone ever saying you had an agenda when it came to him. I imagine most would have agreed with you that he needs to be a more physical presence, and meaner. He does. That comes with experience in the NHL, and confidence. I only ever said I thought you were overly critical of him at times.
Yeah someone did I honestly can remember who. I think it was Chelly. Anyway, all in good fun anyway. You didn’t say it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Keep in mind the KHL lost Jokerit and Dinamo Riga as a result of the war in Ukraine, as well. Those were two of the bigger draws.
Pro athletes get work visas much quicker than normal citizens. Russians aren't playing in western Europe because they can't they're playing in Russia because it's home and it pays better. I could be totally out to lunch on this but that's my understanding of the situation.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Pro athletes get work visas much quicker than normal citizens. Russians aren't playing in western Europe because they can't they're playing in Russia because it's home and it pays better. I could be totally out to lunch on this but that's my understanding of the situation.
That’s exactly right. There is no reason for a Russian to play in the SHL or Liiga. KHL has always offered better salaries. NLA for imports is the only comparable. Russians will leave the KHL for the NHL, and prospects will often play in the AHL, but other than that, will play in Russia. They are free to leave, there just isn’t reason for it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Losing the crown jewel of Finnish hockey is a loss but Latvia is nothing. The KHL offering crazy money was sports washing.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Many countries in Europe have completely closed their borders to Russians... Finland, Norway, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Slovakia....and probably some I have forgotten.

I realize Russia invading a sovereign nation has become an afterthought to a lot of people here in the US, with a certain segment of the population actively sabotaging efforts to help Ukraine, but that is not the case for Europe. The majority of countries in Eastern Europe actively hate Russia. To think these countries are just going to welcome Russian hockey players with open arms is rather silly. Even if it was easy for Russian hockey players to get visas to play in other countries, do people really think the Russian players are going to go to countries where they are hated and considered enemies? They're at war with their neighbor, and in an active proxy war with most of Europe...

People in the US really have no grasp on the severity of this situation in Europe.

This has had a profound impact on the KHL and Russian hockey. The KHL especially, with no influx of former pros coming in, has had the talent diluted... With no international competition involving Russians, and limited NA scouting in Russia, I'm not sure how you can even properly gauge Russian prospects.

P.S. KHL players are paid in Rubles. Anyone want to take a guess on how big a hit the value of the Ruble has taken since the war started?

Last edited:

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Anyone want to take a guess on how big a hit the value of the Ruble has taken since the war started?
i don't have to guess. it's down about 23% from 0.013 rubles on the dollar at the beginning of the SMO to 0.01 now. for context, that's up 23% from where it bottomed out at 0.008 almost exactly 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad