Post-Game Talk: 3/17/18 | Sharks 5 @ Canucks 3

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Canucks Game Day: Will the Canucks ever score again?

The Vancouver Canucks will be desperate to score a goal, any kind of goal as they host the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, having gone three straight games without finding the twine.
TV: CBC. Radio: Sportsnet 650, 7 p.m.

THE BIG MATCHUP

Canucks offence vs. history

It’s been 212:09 minutes since the Canucks last scored a goal. If they go one more period and an additional three minutes Saturday without putting one in the net, it will set a new franchise record for playing time without scoring. In other words, they need a hero to escape a historic run of futility. Who will step up? Who is capable? Bo Horvat has 18 goals and Daniel Sedin has 21. After that, their next highest scorer in the lineup is Jake Virtanen with eight.

More

CANUCKS’ GAME-DAY LINES
Brendan Leipsic—Bo Horvat—Jake Virtanen
Daniel Sedin—Henrik Sedin—Sam Gagner
Darren Archibald—Brandon Sutter—Tyler Motte
Reid Boucher—Nic Dowd—Nikolay Goldobin

Defence pairings
Alex Edler—Chris Tanev
Michael Del Zotto—Troy Stecher
Alex Biega—Derrik Pouliot

Starting goalie: Jacob Markstrom

SHARKS’ LINES
Tomas Hertl—Logan Couture—Mikkel Boedker
Evander Kane—Joe Pavelski—Marcus Sorensen
Timo Meier—Chris Tierney—Kevin LaBanc
Barclay Goodrow—Eric Fehr—Melker Karlsson

Defence pairings
Joakin Ryan—Brent Burns
Marc-Edouard Vlasic—Justin Braum
Brenden Dillon—Dylan Demelo

Starting goalie: Aaron Dell

POWER PLAY
Canucks: 20.9% (12th)
Sharks: 21.2% (9th)

PENALTY KILL
Canucks: 77.5% (24th)
Sharks: 85% (1st)

SICK BAY

Canucks
LW Loui Eriksson (upper body) out for season
LW Markus Granlund (ankle) out for season
LW Brendan Gaunce (lower body) week to week
LW Sven Baertschi (shoulder) out for season
RW Brock Boeser (back) out for season

Sharks
C Joe Thornton (knee) week to week
RW Joel Ward (shoulder) week to week
LW Evander Kane (undisclosed) day to day
LW Joonis Donski (upper body) day to day

CBC Livestream

This GDT is a designated No Tank Zone

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Leipsic ends Canucks drought before the game's 8-minutes old; they push SJ to OT before losing 3-2.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'd have liked to see Tanev shutdown. There is no point at this stage of the season to play him besides the excuse coaches say about playing meaningful games to end the season or whatever is.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Tanev back in tonight (all Canuck fans can cringe in unison when he gets crunched in the corner boards)...Obviously,he'll make a difference on the back end,but its hardly going to help the Canucks score.

Having said that,I have a gut feeling that Canucks might pull this one off...which doesn't serve anybody at this point.

Evander Kane..4 goals last night..Yikes.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gonna be ugly. 4-0 Sharks no goals by OUR guys

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What’s the point of this game again?

As soon as we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs last game, I lost all interest :surrender

;)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A trap game for the Sharks after a big win in Calgary last night?.....so after his four-goal explosion last night in Cowtown, Kane is a game-time decision with some kind of injury?......Jimbo will be disappointed that he won't be able to scout his big UFA signing on July 1st.....Sharks are still desperate for points, and the Canucks are dusting off the golf clubs......do the Canucks set a franchise-futility record for scoreless minutes, and on HNC , no less?.....oh the drama of it all.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think by game time we will be all drunk and can give 2 ****s about this game

Ya feel me
I was last night. Woke up today and was pleasantly suprised i didnt post here last night :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
A trap game for the Sharks after a big win in Calgary last night?.....so after his four-goal explosion last night in Cowtown, Kane is a game-time decision with some kind of injury?......Jimbo will be disappointed that he won't be able to scout his big UFA signing on July 1st.....Sharks are still desperate for points, and the Canucks are dusting off the golf clubs......do the Canucks set a franchise-futility record for scoreless minutes, and on HNC , no less?.....oh the drama of it all.

No Evander Kane fits in the Bay Area, hes with the Home boys so it fits his lifestyle

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tanev is more injury prone than Sami Salo lol.

Salo in his 7 prime years in Vancouver averaged 67 games per season. Ages 28-36

Tanev since hes been a regular in the NHL, prime years age 24-29, is averaging 61 games per season.

and this is me adding 11 games on his total this year so im assuming he finishes the season healthy.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Hopefully he goes to the world championship, kills it, gets traded for a top 15 pick, we win #1, pick Dahlin, Evan Bouchard falls, we get him, his game translates, Tryamkin comes back over, stecher takes a step, Juolevi lives up to his draft position, and our defense suddenly looks promising.

Reactions: billvanseattle

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Tanev is more injury prone than Sami Salo lol.

Salo in his 7 prime years in Vancouver averaged 67 games per season. Ages 28-36

Tanev since hes been a regular in the NHL, prime years age 24-29, is averaging 61 games per season.

and this is me adding 11 games on his total this year so im assuming he finishes the season healthy.

The thing with Salo wasn’t so much the amount of games missed as it was the sheer number, variety, and comedy of injuries. Dude got bit by a venomous snake. Dude tore his Achilles starting off to run playing floorball. Ruptured testicle.

Also, I’d wager that the team itself played more games in those years so the numbers might be different if it was games missed rather than games played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad