Post-Game Talk: 3/17/18 | Sharks 5 @ Canucks 3

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
Go browse the GDTs in 2011 and see the same complaints about soft goals in regards to Luongo. Goldfish memory in here. We heard a lot about how our D didn't trust Luongo which is why it seemed they were out of position.

As for first goals, I mean these guys are paid millions but eventually it's business as usual to them. I'm sorry but I bet you a ton of NHL players would have trouble getting up for a game on this team. Markstrom seems to get hotter as he gets into a game, and if we had a decent roster it might not be an issue.

Is Price the problem in Montreal? Posting a significantly lower save percentage than Markstrom must be extremely deflating to the team.

Evaluating players based on what they might return in a trade is dreadful. If I had to evaluate your post history based on that comment it would likely return a more accurate result. Did Eriksson and Seguin really have comparable value? Was Lucic a player who was worth a 1st rounder?

I'm not just blindly defending goalies. In the roster thread, I think, I was arguing that paying for a premium goalie in today's NHL isn't worth it. I believe good NHL goalies are a dime a dozen. However, the statistics are pretty clear. Markstrom is about average for goaltenders in the NHL behind a terrible team. Not only that but it's a terrible team with Gudbranson in the top 3 and Granlund - Gagner on your 3rd line behind the Sedins who get outscored badly at ES.

It's an absolute joke that anyone can look at this team and genuinely think goaltending is one of the primary issues. It's a question mark at worst.

I never said goaltending was the primary issue, and it is mind-boggling if anyone thought so. Benning has constructed the worst Canucks team I have ever seen, and I've watched for 30 years. I doubt he accidentally got the goaltending right when he screwed up in absolutely every other area. What a mess. I think the entire operation stinks, outside of Horvat, Boeser, Tanev, and Edler. Benning wanted to trade the Boeser pick and Horvat wasn't his draft. What a dumpster fire.

Reactions: pomorick

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
So despite all these perceived weaknesses, he is doing fine statistically!

Statistics presents us with the body of work so far. It doesn't care about the perceived "value" or "timing".

"Mrazek was 8-7-3 with a 2.89 goals-against average and a .910 save percentage this season for Detroit while playing behind Jimmy Howard." He was traded for conditional 3rd and 4th (could be 2nd/3rd).

Howard is .909 with a 2.87 GAA. When doing my search he is coincidentally the goalie ranked directly after Marky when sorted by save percentage.

So a goalie with worse stats on a slightly better team has already been traded for more than you claim Marky would get. Also, Mrazek is 26 so their ages are similar.

That's a pretty similar argument to Vanek's value. I figured the market would be cold on him. Statistics don't tell the whole story. Anyway, I do think it's probably useless to try to evaluate the goalie on a team that's rotten to the core, all I know is that the Canucks being down 1-0 within the first 60 seconds this year has happened so many times I almost expect it to...

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
That's a pretty similar argument to Vanek's value. I figured the market would be cold on him. Statistics don't tell the whole story. Anyway, I do think it's probably useless to try to evaluate the goalie on a team that's rotten to the core, all I know is that the Canucks being down 1-0 within the first 60 seconds this year has happened so many times I almost expect it to...
Oh, and by the way, us former goalies do NOT stick together, we do NOT stick up for all goalies, and what a ridiculous post you made concerning this. We were having light-hearted fun before your ridiculous post.
Lighten up my friend.

Reactions: geebaan

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
Oh, and by the way, us former goalies do NOT stick together, we do NOT stick up for all goalies, and what a ridiculous post you made concerning this. We were having light-hearted fun before your ridiculous post.
Lighten up my friend.
haha, you're the one who needs to lighten up. I thought jokes about goalies being crazy were a very common thing? Everyone jokes about it. Wow. Maybe you took a few too many pucks to the mask.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
haha, you're the one who needs to lighten up. I thought jokes about goalies being crazy were a very common thing? Everyone jokes about it. Wow. Maybe you took a few too many pucks to the mask.
Here's the secret to joking: do it at the time, not the next day to cover up...

Reactions: geebaan

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
Here's the secret to joking: do it at the time, not the next day to cover up...
I didn't realize you were a mind-reader? I thought that hyperbole, by saying something like, "You goalies are pathological", among other colorful crazy-words, might tip you off. Anyway, it was a joke, you can't tell me what my intent was, only I know that. You seem to take yourself way, way too seriously, so please kindly leave me alone now.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I didn't realize you were a mind-reader? I thought that hyperbole, by saying something like, "You goalies are pathological", among other colorful crazy-words, might tip you off. Anyway, it was a joke, you can't tell me what my intent was, only I know that. You seem to take yourself way, way too seriously, so please kindly leave me alone now.
Awwwwwww....poor baby.

Reactions: Ozone

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Lastly, although I made mistakes, no one ever ever put snow in my face again..
Woot Woot.

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
Awwwwwww....poor baby.
I'd rather defuse a situation than get into a waste of time internet hate-war, and you're going to criticize me for wanting a peace treaty? You'd rather read two people spit insults back and forth at each other over a misunderstanding? Grow up.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Not only did I not say that, but you are looking further weird.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I'd rather defuse a situation than get into a waste of time internet hate-war, and you're going to criticize me for wanting a peace treaty? You'd rather read two people spit insults back and forth at each other over a misunderstanding? Grow up.
You do realize that you can send private messages.....

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Last edited:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
edit

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I never said goaltending was the primary issue, and it is mind-boggling if anyone thought so. Benning has constructed the worst Canucks team I have ever seen, and I've watched for 30 years. I doubt he accidentally got the goaltending right when he screwed up in absolutely every other area. What a mess. I think the entire operation stinks, outside of Horvat, Boeser, Tanev, and Edler. Benning wanted to trade the Boeser pick and Horvat wasn't his draft. What a dumpster fire.

I said a primary problem not the primary problem. As far as problems on this team go goaltending really has to be dead last or near the bottom.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
272+ minutes without a 5-on-5 goal, worst team the past 230 games, third last on the way to last place and goaltending putting up average numbers is the issue? Ya not even close to the issue.

This is a bad bad team that no goaltender is going to save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->