GDT: #29| New York Islanders @ Boston Bruins| December 9th | 7:00 PM | F/L 3-1

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Right, I totally forgot about that. I don't care if the team lost 1-0, it would be Halak's fault partially IF the goal was on a terrible shot.

This is another game where the Islanders goaltending got vastly outplayed. Rask was awesome, and Halak? Oh he let in a turn around shot where the rookie forward wasn't even looking.

Did the team do bad on the PP tonight? Well I would argue they might've had a couple goals on it if they were playing our goaltending. This narrative that the goaltending cannot be blamed is a joke. It is almost Christmas, this is not a "funk" anymore for Greiss or Halak.

Save the ****ing shots you are supposed to, how about that for once?
its getting out of hand

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
while we can all see ho sang is def talented ... seems like he can never make the simple play

this is exactly my gripe with him. did he play well tonight? yes he did, but I also saw a lot of poor turnovers simply because he insists on holding the puck as long as possible. Turnovers are unavoidable for any player, but there are at least 3 instances per game where ho-sang turnovers the puck at completely inopportune times.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
this is exactly my gripe with him. did he play well tonight? yes he did, but I also saw a lot of poor turnovers simply because he insists on holding the puck as long as possible. Turnovers are unavoidable for any player, but there are at least 3 instances per game where ho-sang turnovers the puck at completely inopportune times.
i think he sees the ice in such a different way than his linemates... throwing them off ....seems like beau and brock do not have real chemistry with ho sang... awesome that he can draw players to him and open up the ice but his line never seems to have high quality chances ... hopefully growing pains that will get sorted out ...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Right, I totally forgot about that. I don't care if the team lost 1-0, it would be Halak's fault partially IF the goal was on a terrible shot.

If the team loses 1-0 ,I am giving my goal scorers 90% of tbe blame
,even on a terrible shot.
I would think my goalie had done his job,given the team a strong chance to win.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Our goalie actually had a good save percentage for once and only gave up two goals. Not sure what the problem is there.

If Halak had this game all season he'd be top 3 in the league.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
If this team does make the dance floor in the spring I will be highly concerned if our PK does not get turned around. Our lunch will be eaten pretty fast if special teams are not firing on all fronts. Having said that, it's a long season, glad were in the pack by Christmas. Let's see them put their work hats on and grind out points and make this a fun. I suspect JT will heat up soon.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
One last thing. When is Doug Weight going to realize that the team’s best defense corps is to dress Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield? I know Weight cringes at the thought of having 3 young defensemen playing at the same time but it’s better than having Hickey and Seidenberg as our 3rd pairing.

And don’t you think it would be a good idea to have Mayfield in against the Bruins when they have Marchand, Chara and Miller playing?

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
That 1st goal was horrific, maybe if we scored 1st we win. People can't say after that ultra soft goal it didn't make matters worse.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
My thoughts.
Bad: PK is an abortion. PP is almost an abortion. Both goals Halak gave up were Charmin soft, which is typical for him. We’re not going to go anywhere with a goalie that has a low danger save % like that. Tavares was really bad. Seidenberg is too slow for the NHL. CdH was beyond atrocious. Honestly, I think our need is a LD that can replace him and play with Pulock or Boychuk on the 2nd pairing with Pelech and Mayfield as the 3rd pairing.

Good: Leddy-Pulock was a great D pairing again; they need an extended look together. Halak made some good saves, which has been an improvement over what he’s been doing recently. Barzal is still really good.

Reactions: norwegianislander

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That 1st goal was horrific, maybe if we scored 1st we win. People can't say after that ultra soft goal it didn't make matters worse.
Really? Do you think that goal was a momentum breaker for the Isles? We had no momentum last night! They couldn’t gain the O zone most of the night (with the exception of he first 7 minutes of the 2nd period), spent long stretches pinned in our own end. The Bruins beat us like a drum for nearly 60 minutes. When the Bruins were given 2 majors we cut those PPs short by retaliating. Yes, Halak gives up a bad goal a game. You want to see us score first? Let’s try buttoning up our defense and taking advantage of the power play opportunities given to us and kill a penalty once in a while. Maybe we won’t have to play from behind so much.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Really? Do you think that goal was a momentum breaker for the Isles? We had no momentum last night! They couldn’t gain the O zone most of the night (with the exception of he first 7 minutes of the 2nd period), spent long stretches pinned in our own end. The Bruins beat us like a drum for nearly 60 minutes. When the Bruins were given 2 majors we cut those PPs short by retaliating. Yes, Halak gives up a bad goal a game. You want to see us score first? Let’s try buttoning up our defense and taking advantage of the power play opportunities given to us and kill a penalty once in a while. Maybe we won’t have to play from behind so much.

And with all that said if Halak doesn't let yet another weak goal in last night the Islanders get at least one point.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And with all that said if Halak doesn't let yet another weak goal in last night the Islanders get at least one point.
How about actually, you know, playing well rather than putting the game in our goalies hands night after night. We don’t have Henrik Lundqvist on our roster.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
How about actually, you know, playing well rather than putting the game in our goalies hands night after night. We don’t have Henrik Lundqvist on our roster.

The problem is so much simpler was the game on Halak... no not really. Did Halak let in two soft goals... yes.

Our goalies have not stolen 1 game this season. That’s the real problem

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Right, I forgot the offense doesn't deserve to be bailed out once or twice when they run into a good goalie.

Pittsburgh: 3 goals
Tampa Bay:2 goals
Florida: 5 goals
Ottawa: 5 goals
Vancouver: 5 goals
Ottawa: 2 goals

The Islanders lost the Ottawa game, almost lost the Florida game, and lost the Pittsburgh game despite scoring 3 goals or more every time. They scored FIVE goals against Ottawa and lost. The team averages 3.67 goals for in this span and had 3 wins and 3 losses in that span of time. But keep spinning me the facts that it has NOTHING to do with the goaltenders. An extra bounce here and there and this team might have averaged 4 goals per game and they still would have only won HALF of those games. I don't care how the PP does when you almost score 4 goals per game. Give me a break.

Or if they score 1 goal with the 4 PP, they got , they get at least 1 point , see it can work both ways

It can work both ways, but when you average close to 4 goals per game you cannot just throw out the "OMFGJFJ THE PP SUCKS" quote because guess what? They are finding other ways to score. Special teams is always hot or cold and they still have one of the best PP's in the league. They lost to Ottawa despite scoring five goals, almost lost to Florida despite scoring five goals, and lost to Pittsburgh despite scoring three goals.

Let me guess, if the PP was a little bit better Halak doesn't come flying out of the net and turn the puck over against Pittsburgh right? Because that is what these excuses sound like. Maybe some of you were raised differently when you played hockey, but I was always taught that you save the easy one's and try to bail your team out on the hard one's. This is how it has gone for Halak and Greiss this season:

Let a few easy one's in and let a few hard one's in, they have been useless. Halak has a .905 save percentage this season.. And yet I see some posters acting like it actually is not his fault. The excuse last year was that he STRIVES on more shots against, but yet when he gets that his save percentage goes way down. Interesting...

I'll leave it with this: You give me five games where the goaltending just totally bailed out the offense and I'll give you ten games where the offense bailed out the goaltending. I am very fair with Halak and Greiss but they have been terrible as of late. It's like some of you just tend to look at the stats and say "well he had a great game, where was the offense?!" The offense cannot score 3+ goals every night, which is where you want your very nicely paid goaltenders to bail you out.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The problem is so much simpler was the game on Halak... no not really. Did Halak let in two soft goals... yes.

Our goalies have not stolen 1 game this season. That’s the real problem
Halak stole a win when he shut out the Caps.
Right, I forgot the offense doesn't deserve to be bailed out once or twice when they run into a good goalie.

Pittsburgh: 3 goals
Tampa Bay:2 goals
Florida: 5 goals
Ottawa: 5 goals
Vancouver: 5 goals
Ottawa: 2 goals

The Islanders lost the Ottawa game, almost lost the Florida game, and lost the Pittsburgh game despite scoring 3 goals or more every time. They scored FIVE goals against Ottawa and lost. The team averages 3.67 goals for in this span and had 3 wins and 3 losses in that span of time. But keep spinning me the facts that it has NOTHING to do with the goaltenders. An extra bounce here and there and this team might have averaged 4 goals per game and they still would have only won HALF of those games. I don't care how the PP does when you almost score 4 goals per game. Give me a break.

Stop it. We all readily admit the team has been outscoring their mistakes. Asking your goalie to steal wins for you night after night is asking for trouble.

We also allow shots by the truckload. 30 SOG allowed almost nightly. 10 times over 35 SOG, 3 times over 40 SOG. A bit loose defensively no?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Stop it. We all readily admit the team has been outscoring their mistakes. Asking your goalie to steal wins for you night after night is asking for trouble.

We also allow shots by the truckload. 30 SOG allowed almost nightly. 10 times over 35 SOG, 3 times over 40 SOG. A bit loose defensively no?

Halak gave up 4 goals on 19 shots vs the caps.....

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Who asked Halak to "steal wins for you night after night"

Pretty sure the offense is stealing wins for them by having one of the highest scoring teams in the league. Don't look at the SOG, just look at some of the key points I brought up to you.

Pittsburgh is a win if Halak doesn't play like an idiot, last night is OT at the very least if Halak doesn't let in bad goals, and Ottawa is a win if Greiss doesn't totally suck.

But somehow scoring five goals against Ottawa is once again blamed on the team as a whole. Don't let in six f***ing goals and you'll win. Even if Ottawa has 5o shots that night Greiss has a .880 save percentage. Is that still the teams fault?

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
What a crappy game and soft effort! Bad D and goalie effort again. Snow better call some GM's about defenders and a center that can play D. Defending is a team job, not only the goalie and the two guys infront of him, but we wont find a goalie right now, so that problem wont be fixed.

france62

Jun 15, 2010
Can we all just agree that Halak and Greiss are both overpaid, mediocre head cases? We’re arguing over whose **** stinks more.
The last part made me laugh, but true .....But there is something strange though, how come both goalies are having the exact same problems at the same time, you have to think it may be the defense too, so why is it always the goalies fault ?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The last part made me laugh, but true .....But there is something strange though, how come both goalies are having the exact same problems at the same time, you have to think it may be the defense too, so why is it always the goalies fault ?
Advanced statistics show that the two of them are having very different issues.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hickey on IR, eligible to come back on Saturday against LAK.

I wonder if we see Toews make a cameo? He might not play, but maybe he gets a call up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad