Prospect Info: #28OA - Hurricanes select C Ryan Suzuki

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Many on here said it was a good draft to swing for the fences because of our organizational depth, and this looks like the perfect pick from what I read. smarts, vision, skill and play making abilities and can do all this at speed.

If he can put it all together, he could be s highly skilled top end player.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Many on here said it was a good draft to swing for the fences because of our organizational depth, and this looks like the perfect pick from what I read. smarts, vision, skill and play making abilities and can do all this at speed.

If he can put it all together, he could be s highly skilled top end player.
Exactly. Especially when this boom or bust kid has legit top of the draft board skill that fell into your lap.

The biggest knock against him is compete level? Do you really think Brindy, Waddell, or Dundon would be on board with drafting him if there was any concern with that to be true? We let Skinner go for peanuts because of it, there's little chance we would have willingly drafted the second coming of it.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Not everyone has to be a banger. The knock didn't sound like an effort issue, it sounded like a physicality issue. But for a high skill high IQ player, not everything has to be about initiating contact.

As he's been compared to TT a couple times, it seems like Teuvu can play a game of hockey without touching another player the entire 20 minutes, and neither his offense or defense suffer from it.

Seems like a great pick to me.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I will hold judgment until after the 2nd round. Suzuki has boom potential as an assist-machine. The Canes need to take two swings at boom goal-scorers (preferably right-shots as Necas and Geekie also lean more toward playmaker than sniper).
Maybe Brink or Leason if they are available. One of the small left-shots guys would also be good (Robertson or Hoglander). The only problem is if ends up being Suzuki/Robertson/Brink is that the Canes future is really undersized.

Reactions: Unsustainable

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I will hold judgment until after the 2nd round. Suzuki has boom potential as an assist-machine. The Canes need to take two swings at boom goal-scorers (preferably right-shots as Necas and Geekie also lean more toward playmaker than sniper).
Maybe Brink or Leason if they are available. One of the small left-shots guys would also be good (Robertson or Hoglander). The only problem is if ends up being Suzuki/Robertson/Brink is that the Canes future is really undersized.

I think he's pass first now, but based solely on his highlight video he has en elite level shot IMO. Could be a confidence thing.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The thing about drafting Suzuki + Robertson + Brink is that only one of them needs to pan out well to add an dynamic top-6 talent to the team. Not worried about all 3 making the Canes an undersized team. These are "swing for the fences" picks.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What’s the scoop in Brink? I’ve read a few times that his skating is really bad.
His agility is pretty decent, his straight-line speed isn't where it needs to be because he has a really awkward stride. Elite skill level, IQ, and compete level, so if he figures the skating out to the point that it's even average he's a complete stud.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
His agility is pretty decent, his straight-line speed isn't where it needs to be because he has a really awkward stride. Elite skill level, IQ, and compete level, so if he figures the skating out to the point that it's even average he's a complete stud.
I think I’d rather Hoglander or Robertson or Kaliev (sp?) than Brink. I don’t trust that skating can be corrected enough to make a difference.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He may not use it enough but kids got one hell of a release, and seems to have en elite sense of time and space. If he can overcome the consistency/work ethic obstacle he will be very good.

Obviously we’re missing the non highlights of his game. But what I saw there was fantastic hockey IQ, elite passing, great hands, nifty skating, good speed, and a dangerous looking shot. He’s got a little bit of everything. Love the potential ceiling of this kid, his flaws sound fixable with the right coaching. Really excited about this pick!

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
- Suzuki was a #1 Overall OHL pick
- Mattheos was a #1 Overall WHL pick
- Nic Roy was a #1 Overall QMJHL pick

So many directions to take this:
- With our powers combined...
- Gotta Catch Em All
- Canes scouts are vaporware and they just rely on junior draft ranks

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Obviously we’re missing the non highlights of his game. But what I saw there was fantastic hockey IQ, elite passing, great hands, nifty skating, good speed, and a dangerous looking shot. He’s got a little bit of everything. Love the potential ceiling of this kid, his flaws sound fixable with the right coaching. Really excited about this pick!

Agreed. It's hard to fix issues with skating and from what I've seen he's got a great stride and foot work already with plenty of speed. I'll be eager to see him in the AHL when he gets there.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Just re-watched the talking heads pontificating about Suzuki on the draft broadcast. Bobby Mac’s last words about Suzuki were “very skilled hockey player.” If that’s not 100% exactly what the Canes need more of...I don’t think they could have hoped for any better outcome out of that pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad