Prospect Info: #28OA - Hurricanes select C Ryan Suzuki

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ryan Suzuki - C Barrie Colts
25G - 50A - 75PTS in 65 games

Brother of Nick Suzuki.

Was ranked 15th by The Athletic, 14th by Future Considerations, 18th NA Skater by Central Scouting, #20 by Bob's scout panel, #26 by Hockey Prospect Black Book

Hockey Prospect rated him as one of the most skilled players and best skaters of the draft. Some of the scouts have him as the best pure playmaker in the draft outside Hughes, but the talk is that he needs to work on getting to the tough areas.

Total boom or bust pick but that's what we need. If he pans out he's going to make a lot of other teams look REALLY bad in the long run.

Oh, and his familiarity with one particular Russian definitely helps.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
for those here who don't hate us
giphy.gif

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Well, a boom or bust pick feels a lot better at 28 than it does at 5. So there's that.
There was that time when we selected a boom or bust #27 overall Philippe Paradis. Hopefully, this year turns out to be a better story
It's unfortunate we passed over the sure thing at pick #28.

Who were those guys again?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
So when does the cheap message start again? Tomorrow we don’t have Suzuki signed because we supposedly offered him half the normal signing bonus. Plausible or no?

I hope Jordan Staal's got some Greyhound points saved up to get the kid here from Japan because you know Dundon's just going to tell him to hitchhike

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So far Ive seen his knocks are passing too much and lack of break away speed.

Boom or bust? Really?
There are some concerns about his compete level as well, but I question if that's a compete level thing or if he's just simply a pure playmaker and getting to the dirty areas isn't the right use for his skillset.

I will say I don't have the same work ethic concerns with him as I do Kaliev.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He sounded soft by the men in the know, especially in comparison to his brother. Sounds like a compete issue, which won’t go well with the coach....

If the kid wants it he’ll get past it. He’s skilled enough for sure. I like the pick. This is clearly not a deep draft going in, lots of eyebrow raising picks. Doesn’t mean the kids won’t get it done, just means it’s even more of a crap shoot than normal. Good year to be late in the first round.

Welcome aboard Suzie. :)

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad