GDT: #28| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | December 7th | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I guess the Isles should hire you as goalie coach with all the expertise you have. Maybe it would solve the goaltending issues when you impart all your wisdom on them.

He guessed wrong, in a really bad spot. You can see he's down and has his legs extended, then pulls them in a little bit because he seemed to think Ho-Sang/Leddy were going to knock the puck away. He was getting ready to make another move, but got caught halfway. What he should've done is stayed down and as square as he could until the puck got out of harms way. He also wasn't active with his stick at all, which probably would've been enough to knock the puck out (it might've bounced to a Penguin, but that's a risk you take).

That's just a fair and honest criticism. If you're going to take the stance that my goaltending experience means nothing in terms of having insight, you should probably never offer a critique of a player or system since you've never made it to the highest level either.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He guessed wrong, in a really bad spot. You can see he's down and has his legs extended, then pulls them in a little bit because he seemed to think Ho-Sang/Leddy were going to knock the puck away. He was getting ready to make another move, but got caught halfway. What he should've done is stayed down and as square as he could until the puck got out of harms way. He also wasn't active with his stick at all, which probably would've been enough to knock the puck out (it might've bounced to a Penguin, but that's a risk you take).

That's just a fair and honest criticism. If you're going to take the stance that my goaltending experience means nothing in terms of having insight, you should probably never offer a critique of a player or system since you've never made it to the highest level either.

It was also kind of surreal as that puck seems like it was going wide right as if it had some backspin on it

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't know why the team can't play the box or diamond like 90% of the league does.

You would think we would try it, but probably the same reason why the PP passes the puck around infinitely trying to beat the box... daring to be different, if they practiced the box or diamond the PP would be better too

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
My opinion as a former goalie is that he played it pretty terribly.

Also a former goalie. He played that awfully. He didnt move at all for 3 seconds. He should'e been repositioning himself in the mean time. He left himself very vulnerable and couldn' even defend against a shot that trickleddddddd past him. My 3 year old nephew can shoot harder than that. If you aren't prepared to make a save that easy, you are doing something wrong

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I won't blame Halak for the loss, but defending him is ridiculous...

He gave up a bad goal, and the team bailed him out...and then shits on a kid because he thinks his mistake was worse than his...

This is why there was a locker room issue last year, and this is why there is 0 chance he'll be back after this year...

I hope Greiss wakes up so we don't have to see this piece of shit again...

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If you're going to take the stance that my goaltending experience means nothing in terms of having insight, you should probably never offer a critique of a player or system since you've never made it to the highest level either.

200.gif

This much is true...

Reactions: BelovedIsles

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
As frustrating as this loss was, Halak's play aside from the 3rd goal was promising.Hoping he is turning the corner because reading Snow's comments, it does not sound like the nyi are gonna shop for a goalie during the season.

And can we see more of this version of Pulock?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This team and their games are like watching the TV show Empire, just up and down and all over the place.

I loved Pulock with Leddy, Pulock looked like the real deal all game, I was in awe of his confidence. Play Boychuk with Hickey Mouse and CDH/Pelech and I think the 6 man D will be OK.

As for Halak, hated the way he exited the ice, hated it... after he gave up that horrible 3rd goal, he should not have acted that way to JHS at all. Our goalies are an issue, I just know Gibson will be the guy in the pipes for some dumb reason...

Gameplay, well Lady Jane slept through the game until that critical goal, good for him. I don't like JT killing penalties, I think it tires him out for other aspects of the game and he is not that good at it, the goals come when he is on the ice.

We are never out of a game with #13 on the ice, that is for sure

Pulock sure looked like a top 4 last night. Great to see and hopefully he wakes up today full of confidence that he can play in this league. Let's see how he runs with this. Would still like to see Boychuk and Leddy.

I agree as well, time to get JT off the PP, obviously he is not making that much of a differance. #13 just keeps on getting better and better

I was pissed and didnt get to witness Halak's hissy fit ...

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This team and their games are like watching the TV show Empire, just up and down and all over the place.

I loved Pulock with Leddy, Pulock looked like the real deal all game, I was in awe of his confidence. Play Boychuk with Hickey Mouse and CDH/Pelech and I think the 6 man D will be OK.

No, play Toews with Boychuck on the 3rd pair . . . :thumbu:

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Those of you blaming Halak for this loss have revealed yourselves as total frauds. He gave up one bad goal and it was because he mishandled the puck. He gives up four goals to Pittsburgh and he is horrible, but Greiss gives up 5 goals in half a game to Ottawa (or to pretty much any team he faces) and none are ever his fault. You geniuses should read Staples articles and mailbag from this week. Yes, Halak does give up softies, but in terms of 5 on 5 sv pct. he is 9th in the league, Greiss is 30th of 33 goalies. Wake up and get a clue.
The loss isnt all on him, but if you think he didnt have a part in it, I dont know what to tell you. Your also just making shit up... I dont see anyone here loving Greiss, they have both been bad, with Greiss being the worse of the 2 recently.

Groin of Bates, dont waste your time. These people on this board have revealed themselves tonight as either clueless or with some kind of flat out bias against Halak. If the Isles lose a game 2-1 or 3-2, on 2 power play goals, they will blame Halak for the game. If Greiss gives up 5 goals in half the game and Halak comes in and gives up 1 and they lose, they blame Halak for the game. If Greiss gives up 6 goals and loses, it is the team's fault, the defense's fault, the bounce's fault, Sparky's fault, the YESuv's fault. Greiss gives up 4-6 goals every single game, literally, and somehow he has never been at fault.
Again your just making stuff up.

Halak made the first save on a 3-on-1 and two guys are literally standing there staring at the puck and it is his fault that the rebound goes in? You are ridiculous.

More making stuff up. The goal that went in didnt even come from the 3 on 1 rush (in which JHS was the only one back and cleared the rebound).

My opinion as a former goalie is that he played it pretty terribly.
I agree... in watching the slo mo replay during the game Halak wasent even sure were the puck was, he was looking around for it.
I won't blame Halak for the loss, but defending him is ridiculous...

He gave up a bad goal, and the team bailed him out...and then ****s on a kid because he thinks his mistake was worse than his...

This is why there was a locker room issue last year, and this is why there is 0 chance he'll be back after this year...

I hope Greiss wakes up so we don't have to see this piece of **** again...
Agree with all of this. I have never heard Halak as a good guy, great teamate, or a locker room guy. We have heard of him pouting and allegations from multiple teams that he doesnt take care of himself well enough though.

thats a bold faced lie. if he gives up 4-6 goals per game, how is his goals against average under 4? thats some pretty tricky math you have there.......

The guy is just making stuff up. Its an imaginary agenda against people that dont really exist.
i never heard of any issues in the locker room last year.

It was one of the reasons he was sent down... staple flat out said the team had a problem with his work ethic. I think at one point someone from the actual team might have said it too. But yea, lets have this guy get pissed at a rookie 15 mins after literally gifted the Pens a goal.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I did not like Halak giving the stink to Ho-Sang there under almost any circumstances. 3 on 3 is so flukey with crazy up and down play and extended shifts. You need to keep some perspective. It's a point in December in OT. Those are coin flips. Chill and move on.

Ho-Sang needs to work on his game, and it's going to be worth it. But it's going to take some time. But this OTL is not on him, and Halak feeding a silly narrative doesn't help.

Halak's mental mistake with the puck, where he could've just put it behind the net a allowed a battle to occur was the biggest mistake in this game. But I don't think it would've mattered in the end. NYI would've tied it and it would've gone to OT anyway.

The contrast between Halak and Barzal from a leadership POV couldn't be more striking. Barzal gets on the ice and wills his team forward. The way NYI continued to press was all inspired by Barzal. What a kid.

Reactions: MartyC and Eberzal

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What did Halak say/do? I saw him look at Ho-Sang after the goal and then when he was heading into the tunnel appeared to say something to someone (presumably Ho-Sang) and then shake his head. Was there more to it than that?

Anyone else watch the Pens feed? I usually dislike their commentators (especially Errey) but they were actually very enjoyable. And VERY complimentary of the Isles, and Barzal and JT in particular. Said they have a team that will be competing for the Stanley Cup this year.

france62

Jun 15, 2010
What did Halak say/do? I saw him look at Ho-Sang after the goal and then when he was heading into the tunnel appeared to say something to someone (presumably Ho-Sang) and then shake his head. Was there more to it than that?

Anyone else watch the Pens feed? I usually dislike their commentators (especially Errey) but they were actually very enjoyable. And VERY complimentary of the Isles, and Barzal and JT in particular. Said they have a team that will be competing for the Stanley Cup this year.
Maybe Halak was mad at himself , everyone is speculating he was mad at Ho-Sang , but how does anyone know what was said

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Maybe Halak was mad at himself , everyone is speculating he was mad at Ho-Sang , but how does anyone know what was said
Yeah I don't know. That's why I asked if there was more to it. If there was a Halak quote somewhere or something I missed.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Whatever Halak said, he shouldn't have looked at Ho-Sang, shook his head, and raced off the ice and down the tunnel. Even if he was just pissed at himself he shouldn't have done it. Everyone who has ever played a team sport in their life knows that.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

The only thing I noticed was Ho-Sang looking up to the rafters and screaming in frustration (I'm assuming something explicit, but what do I know?), could be he was looking at him since he did that?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Also a former goalie. He played that awfully. He didnt move at all for 3 seconds. He should'e been repositioning himself in the mean time. He left himself very vulnerable and couldn' even defend against a shot that trickleddddddd past him. My 3 year old nephew can shoot harder than that. If you aren't prepared to make a save that easy, you are doing something wrong

Couldn't agree more. As a former goalie one of the first things my coach told me was to stay low and cover the low ice when the puck was in the crease. Make the player shoot it high but don't get beat low. He also need to be active with his stick. It seems at times he gets rattled and forgets the basics of good goalie play.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Our goaltending sucks but our defense is equally as bad all the way around. Call up Toews, we need a change. I think they surrendered 5 breakaways last night and Halak didnt give up a goal on any of them, and then also can't ever see the puck on long range shots, ever and cant play the puck. The more I watch of Pelech, Mayfield and Hickey the more i think that they just arent NHL caliber defenders. Pelech really isnt good at all. Mayfield tries but he is very limited and I think we all know what Hickey is lol. Losing Leddy, Boyhcuk or even Dehaan (who also is nothing special) basically leaves us with even more subpar defending. Time to give Toews a look and or make a trade. We wont keep surviving like this, we are literally a one-trick pony and teams will figure us out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad