GDT: #26 Flyers @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't mind Matteau being rewarded with PP time, but the Tootoo and Josefson stuff has gotta stop.

At least give Matteau time with guys better than them on the power play. Josefson doesn't have a power play point since the last time we played for the Flyers on October 29th, Tootoo scored a one timer goal in Calgary on the PP. Probably his only PP point/point at all of the month of November, if I had to guess.

When Hynes sent out Tootoo/Josefson/Matteau for the power play to BEGIN THE THIRD, I had visions of Lemaire saying **** it and putting Colin White on the PP, also against the Flyers in that ill-fated playoff series. There's really no excuse for that, Zajac or no Zajac.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
JJ definitely gets a lot of confidence and ice time and pretty good line mates considering his lack of production from Hynes. That's why I don't accept any more excuses for his lack of production. Hynes can't do much more to help him than he has this season (and you could argue that at times the help might have taken opportunities away from other players).

He also whiffed on a couple chances he could have possibly done something with tonight.

I'll never defend him again, unless the argument is to completely bench him. He's our best shootout guy, but I'm not sure where to rank him among Gionta, Farnham, Tootoo, Matteau, as far as offense goes.

I'd like to think he's better than all of those guys at offense, though I'm not completely sure that he is.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't mind Matteau being rewarded with PP time, but the Tootoo and Josefson stuff has gotta stop.

At least give Matteau time with guys better than them on the power play. Josefson doesn't have a power play point since the last time we played for the Flyers on October 29th, Tootoo scored a one timer goal in Calgary on the PP. Probably his only PP point/point at all of the month of November, if I had to guess.

Yeah, I don't like Tootoo and Josefson on the PP, especially as regulars. Matteau was okay on it, at least tonight, because he had scored a goal. I don't know if I would want Matteau on the PP permanently, but I don't necessarily mind a coach giving more opportunities to a player who has scored in the game. Matteau was playing the best he had all season tonight in my opinion, so giving him a chance on the PP was okay.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When Hynes sent out Tootoo/Josefson/Matteau for the power play to BEGIN THE THIRD, I had visions of Lemaire saying **** it and putting Colin White on the PP, also against the Flyers in that ill-fated playoff series. There's really no excuse for that, Zajac or no Zajac.

I gave him a pass for it early in the game, or if we were up by a few like in Carolina.

Didn't get it at all when we were trailing by 1 though.

I would also understand it more in a game where we were down by A LOT and the game was a lost cause and we weren't coming back. Maybe as a message to other guys for not getting it done, like when Capuano played 5 defensemen on a PP a few years back to send a message to his guys.

I don't think ANY of those were the case.

Tootoo and Josefson used up their PP monopoly money weeks ago as far as I'm concerned. Maybe even after the first month.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He also whiffed on a couple chances he could have possibly done something with tonight.

I'll never defend him again, unless the argument is to completely bench him. He's our best shootout guy, but I'm not sure where to rank him among Gionta, Farnham, Tootoo, Matteau, as far as offense goes.

I'd like to think he's better than all of those guys at offense, though I'm not completely sure that he is.

Josefson whiffs on so many opportunities that it's just sad, and I never can expect him to score even on golden chances.

I mean, JJ certainly has more skill than Gionta, Farnham, Tootoo, and Matteau, but it doesn't necessarily seem to translate into better offense as measured in points. It's a shame, because he has some great tools but he can't really build anything with them.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Florida has won 5 in a row now, could either be a good thing or a bad thing.

Squandered points against Colorado and Philly.

Should have gotten 2 in at least one of those 2 games, or at least one point in the Colorado game.

Both teams are seeping with trash.

Like I said, not happy with our game at all tonight, I'm just VERY happy with this point that we didn't really deserve.

Only the 3rd line was really any good IMO. It's getting to the point that if we don't get goals from Palmieri or Cammalleri, we're completely screwed.

Tonight's third line did look better than the Josefson or Tootoo piles of poopoo from the first 25 games.

Florida and Philly were behind them weeks ago...how quickly it changes.

Whatever..I need to stop getting my hopes up/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What makes me laugh is I went to two Met games this year and was 2-0. I've gone to eight Devil games so far this year, 2 wins in 8 games :P

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I knew this game would be a rough one without Travis. Zajac is one of our Flyer killers. I feel like he always on the ice for something good when we play them. I guess now we can all see how important TravTrav is to our lineup. I actually think it is somewhat of a miracle we even got the loser point, because we didn't deserve it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What makes me laugh is I went to two Met games this year and was 2-0. I've gone to eight Devil games so far this year, 2 wins in 8 games :P

Stop going to Devils games.:sarcasm:

Could be worse though. I've never been to a Devils game they've won. I've only been to 3 games and they've lost all of them. At least you get to see them multiple times a year, even if they don't win that many of them.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We got a point.

I can't believe the drama on these boards. You stop in to look for a moment, see the same people screaming that the sky is falling and everyone sucks.

Greene had his worst game in a long time. Moore sucked. No one was particularly good except Cammy and Palmieri and Matteau and the 4th line.

We got a point against a team that has won 4 in a row. We are 13-10-3 when we were expecting to be crap.

Can't we maybe take a break from the 'this guy sucks' attitude?

it's been that way for years and years for certain people. Tallinder, Volchenkov, Salvador, Bernier, Zubrus etc etc etc.

You guys need more love in your life or something.

Be happy that Matts showed some good stuff tonight. That Kennedy looks like he might be a good addition...

sheesh.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I was undefeated at Mets games this year, thanks to the Rockies!

I saw 2 games at Citifield when I was up in August, and saw all 4 in Denver the next week. Tickets to Rockies games are cheaper than a couple monster energy drinks in Jersey/New York.

The last few years in August I've been doing a week in Jersey and then a week in Denver to visit my buddy right after that. So I go from Newark straight into Denver.

It just so happened that the Rockies were playing the Mets in New York on my week there, and then the next week in Denver on my week there. There was one other year fairly recently where the Mets were in Denver the same time I was. They usually seem to go there in August, it was just by chance that I caught them in New York and then Denver.

My record in Mets games the past few years was not very good, but I usually only see one or two games at Citifield a year. This year was the year they came to Tampa, which they only come every so many years. But it just so happened that they were in Tampa during the weekend I flew to Jersey, so I just waited to see them at Citifield.

Can't wait to see the Devils in March! Aside from the October 2014 games, they've been miserable here for years. In Sunrise at the Panthers especially.:cry:

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Josefson whiffs on so many opportunities that it's just sad, and I never can expect him to score even on golden chances.

I mean, JJ certainly has more skill than Gionta, Farnham, Tootoo, and Matteau, but it doesn't necessarily seem to translate into better offense as measured in points. It's a shame, because he has some great tools but he can't really build anything with them.

Josefson may be more defensively responsible than Farnham, but I actually believe that he doesn't have as much skill. Lets just say - I trust Farnham to bury a scoring chance more than I do for 16 and that's sad.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Josefson may be more defensively responsible than Farnham, but I actually believe that he doesn't have as much skill. Lets just say - I trust Farnham to bury a scoring chance more than I do for 16 and that's sad.

I'd like to say Josefson has quite a bit of offensive skill, we never see it displayed in the hockey game though. We saw it a few times last season on breakaways and shorthanded chances, as well as scattered times throughout the seasons before that.

As I just said in the other thread, he hasn't even really taken a step forward this year compared to years past as far as offense goes. He actually seemed to look a little bit better last year, had quite a few in game breakaway goals on the PK and even at even strength. And he's been given a chance in top 6, has played no lower than the 3rd line in every game this season and has gotten significant power play time. He hasn't even recorded a power play point since October 29th, all 3 of his power play points came in the month of October. All 4 of his points on the season came in October, up until his goal in Carolina.

I can't justify a player producing at a 15 point pace as a 3rd liner, I'm sorry but I just can't for the life of me. The only team he would be a third line center on is a team that went 26 games into the season before recording an even strength goal scored by the 3rd line. Not to mention that he wasn't even a part of it for that breakthrough goal in game number 26.

He's not useless, I'll always vouch for him in the lineup due to his shootout skills and defensive/PK play. He's just not good at offense, and should be used as a 4th liner. I'm not even sure if his point total would go significantly down playing on the 4th line, as he'd be matched up facing weaker competition. He'd be lucky to produce as many points as Brylin or Pandolfo though. The washed up Pandolfo in his last year as Devil scored at a 14 point pace with no power play time and mostly on the 4th line. The 33 year old and rock bottom Sergei Brylin in his last NHL season in 2007-2008 scored 16 points in 82 games and received little to no (from what I remember) power play time and played 3rd and eventually demoted to the 4th line.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They played like ****, but I'll take 3 out of 4 points in a back to back. Especially considering we had no Zajac.

I didn't like the effort, but I'm ecstatic with the point.

Might have been the least deserved point of the year, if I had to actually think back.

All of the other losses to the cream of the crap chumps were in regulation too.

Calgary, Edmonton, Columbus X2, Colorado, were all regulation losses.

I'll consider it a stolen point and hope we come out for a MUCH better effort against the best team we've played (excluding Montreal) since Pittsburgh 3 weeks ago.

Vancouver was still in decent position when we last played them, but they've completely blown a head gasket now and have been down a cylinder or two since the start of November.

I am concerned about losing 5 of the last 8 though, with all but Montreal being a cream of the crap elite.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I didn't like the effort, but I'm ecstatic with the point.

Might have been the least deserved point of the year, if I had to actually think back.

All of the other losses to the cream of the crap chumps were in regulation too.

Calgary, Edmonton, Columbus X2, Colorado, were all regulation losses.

I'll consider it a stolen point and hope we come out for a MUCH better effort against the best team we've played (excluding Montreal) since Pittsburgh 3 weeks ago.

Vancouver was still in decent position when we last played them, but they've completely blown a head gasket now and have been down a cylinder or two since the start of November.

I am concerned about losing 5 of the last 8 though, with all but Montreal being a cream of the crap elite.

Honestly the problem was not getting points out of those bad loses, so I'll take a loser point out of a **** performance over a regulation lose which was the recent trend.

We take a couple of loser points out of the other **** teams and we are in a better spot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly the problem was not getting points out of those bad loses, so I'll take a loser point out of a **** performance over a regulation lose which was the recent trend.

We take a couple of loser points out of the other **** teams and we are in a better spot.

Yeah that's definitely the most troubling part. Losses are bound to happen against anybody, the old ''Anybody can beat anybody on any given night'' saying.

But some of the losses weren't very good ones. Tonight's loss wasn't exactly a good one, but tonight's OT loss wasn't exactly a bad one either if that makes any sense. Just because of the pretty weak effort. I thought we deserved a point out of Colorado more than tonight. Both were bad, but we were a little better against Colorado. Puck was just hitting their goalie that night and going past Neuvirth tonight. Our PP was also cashing in tonight, and not cashing in against Colorado.

One thing that was a lot better in this game was the fact that we were able to get Cory out before 32 seconds remaining or whatever it was against Colorado.

I've been making fun of Matteau a lot lately, but I've been happy with his last two games and also think he has earned some rope over the next few games to stay in. Josefson certainly gets plenty of it and while I think he should because of the shootout, I don't really think his shootout and defensive game is what's keeping him up in the top 9 and getting him a look on the top 6 with the Zajac injury. It's more lack of depth and they seem to like Josefson a lot more than Matteau or probably a lot more than they should so far.

The 3rd line was great tonight, the problem is that Josefson was in the top 6 and will probably be moved down to that line if Zajac is back soon and there's no more injuries to any of the higher up forwards. I'd like to see the 3rd line stay intact for a few more games to see if they can get rolling, and Josefson on the 4th line with Tootoo or Farnham (much preferably Tootoo) scratched.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We're now 8-4-2 against teams currently in a playoff spot and 5-6-1 against everybody else. It's nice to beat the good teams, but if we keep dropping points to weaker teams it's not going to mean much in the long run.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're now 8-4-2 against teams currently in a playoff spot and 5-6-1 against everybody else. It's nice to beat the good teams, but if we keep dropping points to weaker teams it's not going to mean much in the long run.

The Sharks of the last two years had this problem.

Cost them the division in 13-14 and a first round matchup against the Kings in the playoffs, we all remember how that turned out.

Then it completely cost them a playoff spot in 14-15.

It included so many losses to the non playoff teams around the league, particularly in the Eastern Conference for them.

Losses to Washington (the year they missed in 13-14) Carolina, Florida, Edmonton, Nashville (missed in 2013-2014) and too many others I'm forgetting. The Islanders in 13-14 when they missed the playoffs. A couple bad losses to Calgary in 13-14 when they missed the playoffs. Buffalo last year, they lose a lot to them. Did win in Buffalo this season for the rest time in a gazillion years or something. Columbus they couldn't beat last year either time from what I remember. One was a really bad loss at home against Columbus last year with seconds left in regulation. Multiple losses to a lot of these teams too. They were pretty good against the division winner Anaheim last year, think they won all but one of the games against them. Were abysmal against the cream of the crap.

And that's exactly where I coined that phrase, for the Sharks and their abysmal play and too many losses to those kinds of teams.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Matteau was really good last night. I just think he should play like Simmonds on the PP. Screening the goalie and scoring garbage goals.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
We got a point.

I can't believe the drama on these boards. You stop in to look for a moment, see the same people screaming that the sky is falling and everyone sucks.

Greene had his worst game in a long time. Moore sucked. No one was particularly good except Cammy and Palmieri and Matteau and the 4th line.

We got a point against a team that has won 4 in a row. We are 13-10-3 when we were expecting to be crap.

Can't we maybe take a break from the 'this guy sucks' attitude?

it's been that way for years and years for certain people. Tallinder, Volchenkov, Salvador, Bernier, Zubrus etc etc etc.

You guys need more love in your life or something.

Be happy that Matts showed some good stuff tonight. That Kennedy looks like he might be a good addition...

sheesh.

Thank you for being sensible.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I was at the game last night and it seemed that Matteau had a great game. I noticed him, in a good way, each time he was on the ice. Hopefully we are watching him grow right infront of us.

Palmieri and Greene had bad games (beside Kyles goal of course)

Also I get the Josefson hate but one thing people seem to forget is he is like the ONLY center on the team right now with Zajac out.

Josefson has been giving a "long leash" because our center depth is horrible. Some argue that Henrique should really be a winger. Elias has no reason to play center and i believe never should have. Kalinin is still learning the NA game and has played more games on the wing then at center.

If Shero is looking around for anything i would hope its a center. Josefson can move down and be a solid player for us.

At some point the Devils will also need to address the bottom 6 scoring, or lack there of. If some of those guys dont start putting up points you have to consider giving guys like Boucher and Blandisi a shot. I know its hard with Tlusty and Ruutu working their way back but somethings gotta give.

The other thing i find funny is the playoff talk. Everyone seems to be worried and thinking about it. We are not and were never expected to make the playoffs this season. I would love it if we did but im watching this season as if its a known fact we wont. I just want to see good fun hockey and growth. If we make the playoffs great but im not at all going to get upset by dropping points to any teams. Years we are expected to make the playoffs then yes i agree we should be beating the bad teams in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The other thing i find funny is the playoff talk. Everyone seems to be worried and thinking about it. We are not and were never expected to make the playoffs this season. I would love it if we did but im watching this season as if its a known fact we wont. I just want to see good fun hockey and growth. If we make the playoffs great but im not at all going to get upset by dropping points to any teams. Years we are expected to make the playoffs then yes i agree we should be beating the bad teams in the league.

Fair enough...my only true goal for this season is to have meaningful games in March. I don't want to be twenty points out and don't think sustained losing is fun under any circumstances no matter whether 20-year olds are playing or 35-year olds. And I expect effort most games, I don't feel we've gotten that twice this week.

That said it's human nature to try to think about the playoff race, especially while you're in a spot. There are surprise teams every year and we certainly have a shot to be one of them atm. I'm not exactly at the point where I'm watching the OOT scoreboard intently though, I don't generally get to that point till late February or March anyway.

Last edited:

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Glad to know the painful loss from last night carried over into my mood today. Just don't understand why we rarely show up for home games. Stage fright in front of the home crowd? Not sure what was up with Greene last night but he played like complete trash. I guess he gets a free pass since he rarely has a bad game. One things for sure, Schlemko is a million times better than Gelinas. What gets me is that Hynes said he was "Proud" of the teams effort. Not sure how playing 20 minutes of an entire games warrants someones praise...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What gets me is that Hynes said he was "Proud" of the teams effort. Not sure how playing 20 minutes of an entire games warrants someones praise...

Well Tom was getting a little instigator-ish pointing out on Twitter last night people ripped Pete for comments like that :laugh:

Personally I'll give Hynes the benefit of the doubt on his comments last night since he doesn't always sugarcoat it like Pete did his last couple years. Maybe he feels the team presses at home and doesn't want to make it harder on them, who knows. I don't even so much mind putting on a public front if you're ripping them behind closed doors when they deserve it. Plus it's not like he doesn't hold players accountable, he's benched multiple guys this year for different things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad