OT: 23e Mondial de la bière

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Great... "Le mondial de la bière"

emphasis on "la bière"

Yeah the "Mondial" part has been underwhelming the past few years.

Luckily for us the Québec beer scene has stepped up quite a lot in the meantime.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I really, really prefer Chambly to the Mondial anyway. Most interesting thing about the Mondial are the numerous "off-Mondial" events.

Chomsky

Aug 10, 2007
Montreal
Hey guys, sorry my list doesn't include descriptions, as I was more focused on enjoying the beers instead of taking notes. The list is a small glimpse of the many great beers that I've tried at this year's edition. I wrote down those with a well-balanced, enjoyable and complexe palate of flavors and aromas.

Brouhaha:
Sergent Ripin

Trou de Diable:
Bella Ciao (wheat oatmeal beer)

Dieu du Ciel:
Saison du Parc
Herbe à détourne

Harricana:
Champagne
Unknown - aged in Charbonnay barrel

Dunham:
Saison fleurs sauvages (****ing love this beer)

La souche:
St-Charles? (the APA anyway)
Unknown--Labrador tea infused beer

Cheers!

Chomsky

Aug 10, 2007
Montreal
Oshlag : Inca bière vapeur
4% - 4 tickets

I wasn't expecting this at all. With such a name I expected a smokey beer but it's not. I would say it's an American Pale ale? But it's definitely not pale. Also not much body. The head had hints of red which I found I interesting. But overall it's alright, nothing more.

Are you sure it's not a steam beer? Ale fermented at high temps with lager yeast like Anchor steam?

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Can we really bring our own glass? I thought we couldn't the other years.

Yes you can and I think you could in past years too (although I'm not 100% sure on that point). You're better off bringing your own or buying one there, you get more generous servings than if you take the little plastic cups at each stand you try.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Yes you can and I think you could in past years too (although I'm not 100% sure on that point). You're better off bringing your own or buying one there, you get more generous servings than if you take the little plastic cups at each stand you try.

Well yeah that's for sure. I buy the official glass every year anyway.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Porter Baltic special edition from Les Trois Brasseurs is awesome. It fills the mouth more than the regular edition, almost like a minty flavour. Other brews I was impressed about came from Les 3 frères. The Quadruple is the best beer I tasted on Friday. Their Imperial IPA is also noteworthy.

Other show stoppers I've tasted:

Brasseur de Montreal: Double IPA... Really sharp IPA taste. Very very well balanced beer.
Malédicrion from Saint-Bock really tastes like a milky ale.
Some Labrador Tea ale from Haricana was impressive.
Some "wee strong" scotch ale from Le temps d'une pinte was pretty good.

Now that all said, I'm drunk, so i have no idea wtf is going on, I'm not a pro like Seb..These were not so impressive:

Genèse: Dieu du Ciel... Usually get some good beer from them, I just chose the wrong one. Tasted too much like vinegar to me.
Rastafayan from Noire et blanche... Overkill, too many flavors in one brew.

Probably going back tomorrow, even Boreal has festival brews...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad