GDT: #23| New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | November 28th 5:00 PM | F/L 5-2

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
As predicted, a complete stinker, starting with the goaltender.

Also tomorrow is a good game to activate Grabner. Scratch Bailey or Cizikas.

If both Viz and Johnny B. are out, bring up Pulock to man the PP tomorrow. Its one thing to replace deHaan and Hickey for a game with Strait and Donovan. Its another to use those two guys as replacements for Viz and JB. :shakehead

You mean as you predicted for the last 5 or 6 games or so?
Congrats on getting it right for once...

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Washington fans are basketball fans. They do not know hockey.
They are a very big team, 14 of the 18 skaters tonight were over 210 lbs. So they play a grind game in the corners and they slow it down.

Meanwhile, Grabovski hasn't scored in 14 games, Frans in 8 games, Okposo is not finishing and is playing more perimeter hockey, and Tavares s only scoring lay ups into open nets between turning the puck over every other touch.
They have to realize that they have not been playing as well as they can and have been getting away with it.
Time to go back to playing a good 60 minute game tomorrow.

I'm wondering if their style of play might be wearing the guys down a bit? They just didn't look to have much jump either tonight or Wednesday. Is this style of play sustainable over and 82 game season?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
As predicted, a complete stinker, starting with the goaltender.

Also tomorrow is a good game to activate Grabner. Scratch Bailey or Cizikas.

If both Viz and Johnny B. are out, bring up Pulock to man the PP tomorrow. Its one thing to replace deHaan and Hickey for a game with Strait and Donovan. Its another to use those two guys as replacements for Viz and JB. :shakehead

Hey, welcome to the nhl and btw, man the PP. With little regard for the other dman on the team. Brilliant idea...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm wondering if their style of play might be wearing the guys down a bit? They just didn't look to have much jump either tonight or Wednesday. Is this style of play sustainable over and 82 game season?

Its a problem with 6 games in 9 games, good for us the Devils played tonight...they also lost Henrique and Zajac during the games to injuries and they did not return...this could be 2 depleted lineups tomorrow.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
I didn't catch the whole game, but it's so refreshing to see these guys have a bad game and be like "they were due for one" instead of "well that's Islander hockey."

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Team just didn't have it tonight, looked slow and our fore-check was non existent. Props to the Caps though, they played a solid game.

Johnson needs to be better, letting in way too many softies, regardless of the rest of the team not having it tonight. The issues with our special teams need to be addressed, we won't go far without them getting better.

Hope the injuries to Vis and Ham aren't too serious.

Need a quick bounce back game against the Devils tomorrow at home, put this one behind us and get back to playing Islander hockey.

TW

Apr 4, 2013
I didn't catch the whole game, but it's so refreshing to see these guys have a bad game and be like "they were due for one" instead of "well that's Islander hockey."

Yeah, it's weird honestly blowing off a loss. I'm usually mad with a loss but tonight it's "our backup goalie wasn't very sharp" and "they not on their game tonight". I'm OK.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, it's weird honestly blowing off a loss. I'm usually mad with a loss but tonight it's "our backup goalie wasn't very sharp" and "they not on their game tonight". I'm OK.

Same. Could care less right now, we been spoiled. Joking around with the boys saying it's ok, we will just win the next five.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
CJ stinks on ice; pretty much all the goals were savable--no traffic in front--shots. Strait wasn't good on the Johansson goal, but its not like he hung him out the dry either.

I'm not completely annoyed with the loss; the guys played well, and you have to get the scrubs in every once and a while.

Glad the debs are playing detroit tonight, so there isn't any type of day off advantage for them

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
You mean as you predicted for the last 5 or 6 games or so?
Congrats on getting it right for once...

Last 5 or 6 games? That is his MO. Check his past posts. That is his game...negativity. I think it helps him become the fan that he is. I get that we have all been beaten down a few too many times, but he immediately feels that we are going to lose.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Last 5 or 6 games? That is his MO. Check his past posts. That is his game...negativity. I think it helps him become the fan that he is. I get that we have all been beaten down a few too many times, but he immediately feels that we are going to lose.

yeah, i was trying to go easy, but you're right. there are some here who almost seem to get off on being negative. i get negative as well when it's warranted, but some of these guys are just over the top. if you hate everything about the organization, then just do what trottier did and leave. at least trottier is a man of his word as well as gives credit where it's due.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I appreciate what Martin does, but he is one of our worst heavyweights ever. Wins MAYBE half of his fights.

I don't even really consider him a heavyweight. Boulton/Carkner are our heavyweights... if those guys fought Martin they would destroy him.

the last 2 fights were frustrating but on the same token he's a non-visor fighter fighting visored fighters... He should own them on skill/experience but they don't really leave much to punch at aside from an uppercut.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I was admittedly wrong on Halak during his early season struggles, so take my goalie evaluations with a grain of salt but I would like to be done with Chad Johnson.

Maybe TB would trade us Nabokov for him straight up since both are struggling.

I'd say send him to BPT and call up Poulin but i'm guessing that would mean he would have to clear waivers?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Devils blowing their load right now over in NJ, 3 goals in the first, we want them to put up 5 or 6 tonight...also Schneider is in, I think we may get Clemmensen tomorrow.

As far as I know, Schnieder has started every game except 1 vs Calgary. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in net tomorrow as well. DeBoer is going to run him into the ground

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
yeah, i was trying to go easy, but you're right. there are some here who almost seem to get off on being negative. i get negative as well when it's warranted, but some of these guys are just over the top. if you hate everything about the organization, then just do what trottier did and leave. at least trottier is a man of his word as well as gives credit where it's due.

The fact of the matter is that I am a huge fan of the team and while certainly glad they are finally playing like a NHL caliber team, historically this team has been a disappointment going all the way back to the late 1980s (with the exception of 92/93, 01/02 and 12/13 seasons). They have lost games they should have won this year and vice-versa.

With respect to last night's game, Johnson was awful and has been all season. When your backup G has a GAA near 4 and a SV% of 88% that does not instill confidence when he plays. With those numbers, may as well have DiPietro - they are paying him anyway.

This team, while certainly improved, does have its flaws. Besides the backup G, when Boychuk is out it really puts a gaping hole in the D. If Viz is going to be out too, you cannot get away with Strait and Donovan as part of the top 6. Also Kulemin is miscast as a 1st line LW. I would try Grabner there when he returns, or as crazy as it sounds, even Martin there to open some ice for 91 & 21.

Tonight's Devils game can go either way. These are not the neutral-zone trap Devils of old. I predict a back and forth affair, not predicting winner but score 5-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad