GDT: #23 New Jersey Devils @ Montreal Canadiens: Help Us, Baba Yetu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
OK, its been too long since that gif came out and I got to ask.

Who is face immediately dancing in front of Shero. Is that Zajac?

And who is behind Shero.

I know Gionta, Henrique, Palmieri, Larsson, Elias, Greene, Shero, Cammalleri and Schneider.

I would of thought John Hynes should be in there somewhere.

Stempniak is in there too.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
OK, its been too long since that gif came out and I got to ask.

Who is face immediately dancing in front of Shero. Is that Zajac?

And who is behind Shero.

I know Gionta, Henrique, Palmieri, Larsson, Elias, Greene, Shero, Cammalleri and Schneider.

I would of thought John Hynes should be in there somewhere.

Its Zajac and then behind Shero is Stempniak I believe.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's a tough conference and all the three point games make it difficult to gain any separation from the other teams, however, NJ has proven themselves to be a pretty solid team. I'd be extremely surprised if they just went away, barring any major injuries, of course.

Atlantic is rather shallow right now which helps us. Metro is where the tougher teams lie.

We seem to be able to hang with the Isles, Penguins, and Wings which are the teams around us. Boston as well since I expect Tampa to get on track and take that third Atlantic spot from Boston.

We keep passing all the measuring stick games against the top teams in the league. We just need to be more consistent against the weaker teams.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate to bring up the bottom 6 again, but everyone in that gif is pretty much our team.

Off the top of my head you have Cammalleri, Stempniak, Henrique, Elias, Palmieri, Zajac, Cory, Greene, Larsson. That's pretty much all of our top 6 players, our top defense pair and the true workhorses we have back there, and the only goaltender that's been worth a damn on the the team this season.

Of course Shero too, but I was only listing the players.

Then you have Gionta on the outside. Aside from a couple more defensemen and the coaches, I think it's safe to say that everyone else belongs on the outside where Gionta is.:laugh:

Nothing against Gionta, I think I'm more of a supporter of his than most on here. He's a decent 4th liner, we just have an overabundance of them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would also argue that Palmieri is a dark horse for this team's MVP. Sure Rico and Cammalleri have amazing, but they would have been here on this team anyway if that trade wasn't made.

Without Palmieri, we'd be significantly worse. There's no way there'd be a better player than him in that spot.

There was no one on the UFA market this year as good as him and any other player we could have acquired through trade in that spot would have costed a lot more than what he cost.

Schneider and Palmieri trades were absolutely horrific and terrible deals on the Vancouver and Anaheim sides of things.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleed you definitely don't hate bringing up the bottom 6. It's all you ever talk about anymore.

The horse is long dead. Stop beating it.

It's not all I've been talking about now! I've been talking about how much I hate the Flames and James Reimer on the mainboard for the last hour.:laugh:

I was going to bring it up about the gif right when it was posted, I figured let's enjoy the win for a few hours though haha.

But it is the truth that every guy in that gif in the main circle is pretty much the main components to this team.

I'm not sure why those particular guys were all put in there in the beginning, I'm not sure why Tootoo and Josefson were left out of there originally, I know it was made a while ago. Same with guys like Kinkaid and Gelinas. I know there wasn't room for all of them.

But it's funny how every guy in there in basically the vehicle of this team. Not just the forwards, Cory and Larsson and Greene being in there too.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I would also argue that Palmieri is a dark horse for this team's MVP. Sure Rico and Cammalleri have amazing, but they would have been here on this team anyway if that trade wasn't made.

Without Palmieri, we'd be significantly worse. There's no way there'd be a better player than him in that spot.

There was no one on the UFA market this year as good as him and any other player we could have required through trade in that spot would have costed a lot more than what he cost.

Schneider and Palmieri trades were absolutely horrific and terrible deals on the Vancouver and Anaheim sides of things.

And the scary thing is, Rico and Palms are both in their mid-20s. We could possibly have them both on the team for another decade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And the scary thing is, Rico and Palms are both in their mid-20s. We could possibly have them both on the team for another decade.

I think Palmieri is the closest replacement to Parise we've gotten. He hasn't proven over a stretch to be as good as Parise obviously, but he's the closest we've gotten to this point.

Some people have said Cammalleri and that might have been true coming into last season after we signed him, but Cammalleri is older and even older than Parise too, so I didn't really think of him like that.

Maybe we can come up with another Palmieri like trade this summer, it was worth the second round pick easily. Palmieri is also a first round pick from 6 years that just got lost in the Ducks depth I think. He was a 3rd liner over there, but he'd easily be in their top 6 this year. Hagelin has stunk for them. Dumb move by Bob Murray.

The closest thing we had to a replacement replacement before this was Damien Brunner.

For like 2 games at the beginning of the 13-14 season.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I think Palmieri is the closest replacement to Parise we've gotten. He hasn't proven over a stretch to be as good as Parise obviously, but he's the closest we've gotten to this point.

Some people have said Cammalleri and that might have been true coming into last season after we signed him, but Cammalleri is older and even older than Parise too, so I didn't really think of him like that.

Maybe we can come up with another Palmieri like trade this summer, it was worth the second round pick easily. Palmieri is also a first round pick from 6 years that just got lost in the Ducks depth I think. He was a 3rd liner over there, but he'd easily be in their top 6 this year. Hagelin has stunk for them. Dumb move by Bob Murray.

The closest thing we had to a replacement replacement before this was Damien Brunner.

For like 2 games at the beginning of the 13-14 season.

Murray made a lot of bad moves in the summer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He filled a gaping hole on the team and fills it really well. He definitely is the closest to a parise replacement.

Not going to get into a who is better debate but we needed a skilled winger that can play both ways and get things done. Zach did that for us and so far now Kyle is.

Rico continues to seemingly show he has taken another step as a player. He is blazing hot right now and just looks like a better player.

Both are huge pluses for the team overall.

I can't wait to add Zacha to the mix. I could see them using him at the wing to start his NHL career off until Zajac needed to be fully demoted to the 3rd line and I think that will create a very dynamic top 6.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Saad also got traded this summer (though for a better return) so GMs trading promising forwards for cheaper prices to avoid cap hits should be a trend that continues.

Tampa makes sense for us as they will have to move someone to give Stammer all the money he wants.

kiwidevil

I don't see it.

K-Palm is a range shooter with a very heavy shot who likes to mix it up and hurt people with hits.

Zach was a ball of hussle with great hand/eye, good hands around the net, with a nose for the sweet spot, but barely a shot to talk of.

Just because they are wingers with speed and seem to click with Zajac doesn't really make them that similar.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't see it.

K-Palm is a range shooter with a very heavy shot who likes to mix it up and hurt people with hits.

Zach was a ball of hussle with good hands around the net, with a nose for the sweet spot, but barely a shot to talk of.

Just because they are wingers with speed and seem to click with Zajac doesn't really make them that similar.

K Palm fills an overall hole in production that was left when Zach left.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I don't see it.

Zach was a ball of hussle with good hands around the net, with a nose for the sweet spot, but barely a shot to talk of.

Yeah they are very different. I like how Palmieri plays.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
K Palm fills an overall hole in production that was left when Zach left.

That's what I mean.

It's more of the offensive wingers thing than the way they play.

It's the productive (young) winger that we haven't really had since Zach left.

Zach was still 27 years old the last he played for us, just 3 years older than Palms.

The Brunner joke I made was actually that Brunner did look like Parise for his first couple games with us. He had a similar battle level and hustle for a couple of those games, I made a post about how he reminded me of Zach after those games. I'm semi embarrassed for making them now after the way Brunner turned out, but I did legit see it for two measly games.

We've had some productive wingers since Zach left, only they were a little older like Cammalleri or way older like Jagr.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Have to credit Hynes for switching up the forward lines when we couldn't score after 2 periods.

But I would almost pay to see DeBoer's line configurations with this roster.:laugh:

I said now is the time to move up Elias or Kennedy before the 2nd period ended, Hynes must have been reading hfboards at the intermission haha.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pacioretty looks like a Guy Fawkes mask.

I meant to comment on this earlier, but was too busy complaining about our 3rd line. Had to go back and look for this to quote it.

I keep feeling like I'm gonna pee myself every time I see the post.:laugh:

I keep looking at pictures of his face and the mask and it's too close of a resemblance.:laugh:

My sides are hurting from laughing so hard over this, and I've tried very hard not to wake up some of the family I have visiting for the Thanksgiving holiday.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
i remember one of the habs playoff games from a couple years back, cole was calling the PBP and was in his element as the game ended at home in the third, the mans voice still sends shivers up your spine. theres something about the cadence of his voice combined with the goal horn in montreal that creates one of the special things about hockey.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i remember one of the habs playoff games from a couple years back, cole was calling the PBP and was in his element as the game ended at home in the third, the mans voice still sends shivers up your spine. theres something about the cadence of his voice combined with the goal horn in montreal that creates one of the special things about hockey.

I used to associate Cole as being ''The hockey announcer'' when I was a small child. I'm not Canadian, so he wasn't on my TV every week. But he has a voice that I will always associate with as THE hockey announcer and always did from the time I heard him.

He has such an old voice too, and I don't mean old because of his age. I mean more of an old time voice, like a commentator or television host you would hear back in the 50s or possibly earlier.

I do like the goal horn in Montreal, It sounds a lot like a European car horn that got stuck and won't go off. That goal song is pretty bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad