Pre-Game Talk: 23-24 mid season look

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Given all the data they employ..I was genuinely curious if mgt. can anticipate changes in performance and outcomes based on factors such as a new style of play and teammates, etc. He's still getting quite a bit of negative feedback online but perhaps mgt is happy?
Good question. My guess is a lot of the negative feedback online is because of his salary.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Good question. My guess is a lot of the negative feedback online is because of his salary.

Some of it is that. It’s a lot of money that will absolutely be the cause of losing a fan favorite somewhere down the line, which obviously won’t help. Some of it is still lingering from his start to the season. And it doesn’t help when he makes plays like the goal against last game. Finally, it might also be he’s seen as the “outsider” of the group. Most of the rest of the team, including every other defenseman, has spent multiple years with the club. Fans are naturally more attached to them than to players we just acquired.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Some of it is that. It’s a lot of money that will absolutely be the cause of losing a fan favorite somewhere down the line, which obviously won’t help. Some of it is still lingering from his start to the season. And it doesn’t help when he makes plays like the goal against last game. Finally, it might also be he’s seen as the “outsider” of the group. Most of the rest of the team, including every other defenseman, has spent multiple years with the club. Fans are naturally more attached to them than to players we just acquired.
In what world is Orlov going to cause us to lose a fan favorite on his 2 year deal? Signing him has almost zero bearing on losing someone like Pesce or Skjei, whose future here is entirely dependent on what they're making down the line and not what they'd be making next year. My guess is the borg had already made the decision to not hand them big long term deals in their 30s before Orlov even hit UFA. If we didn't sign Orlov and used that cap space on 1 year deal for forwards like Taranseko or Kane or something, we'd still be losing a fan favorite or two because the borg isn't going to go outside their cap evaluations to keep them. Not because Orlov is here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad