'23-'24 Central Division Predictions

Where do the Jets finish in the Central?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
You don't think the vastly improved forward depth makes them better?

Really, no team in the division is without its flaws. I can see Dallas and Colorado being 1/2 but it's a crapshoot after that

The one thing that concerns me is that Bones is already on record as saying that they want to play that "pressure style" again. It worked great in the first half of the season last year, but I still believe that part of the reason for the second half collapse was that it's a grind to play that way over the entire 82 game schedule and guys got gassed and injured. Hopefully with the added forward depth, Bones rolls all four lines and spreads the ice time out to keep everyone fresh
Cancel winter vacation after the allstar break. They come back and its like they completely forgot about hockey

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Jets
Stars
Avs
Wild
Yotes
Blues
Hawks
Mustard Tigers

Might be a little bias here. Really do think we'll have a good season if we keep the gang together, that the Coyotes will improve and that the Blues and Thundercats will be trash.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hard to say on Dallas's support group. Benn and his line had a crazy high on ice shot %. I expect there to be some regression there.
Regress to what?
Do you expect it as low as the Bowness years? Seems like poor finishing fwd lines follows Bowness. His linemates were much better this year vs those seasons too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Regress to what?
Do you expect it as low as the Bowness years? Seems like poor finishing fwd lines follows Bowness. His linemates were much better this year vs those seasons too.

Probably somewhere between the two extremes. But no disagreements on Bones offensive schemes, he doesn't seem to know what to do there.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Probably somewhere between the two extremes. But no disagreements on Bones offensive schemes, he doesn't seem to know what to do there.
I can see his pp sh% holding a bit if he's pp1 with Robertson again for high minutes.

At 5v5 last season, not really far off his career average and evidently even closer when considering the seasons prior to the Bowness droughts.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
WPG shows up 15th on the athletics projections

Edit: change to 14th now as TBL was adjusted a bit lower.

Would put them 7th in the West and 4th in Central.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
WPG shows up 15th on the athletics projections

Would put them 7th in the West and 4th in Central.
With all of the talk here of being in the mushy middle, I got a kick out of this comment.

For most teams, it’s not difficult to find strengths and weaknesses up and down a team’s roster. For the Winnipeg Jets, it’s a lot trickier: it’s basically Connor Hellebuyck and then a whole bunch of “middles.”
Top of the lineup? Meh. Middle of the lineup? Meh. Bottom of the lineup? Meh. Forwards? Meh. Defensemen? Meh. Offense? Meh. Defense? Meh.
The Jets have the distinction of being the league’s most middling team where there just aren’t that many extremes in either direction — aside from Hellebuyck.

Also took a good swipe at both Scheifele and Pionk.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
With all of the talk here of being in the mushy middle, I got a kick out of this comment.

For most teams, it’s not difficult to find strengths and weaknesses up and down a team’s roster. For the Winnipeg Jets, it’s a lot trickier: it’s basically Connor Hellebuyck and then a whole bunch of “middles.”
Top of the lineup? Meh. Middle of the lineup? Meh. Bottom of the lineup? Meh. Forwards? Meh. Defensemen? Meh. Offense? Meh. Defense? Meh.
The Jets have the distinction of being the league’s most middling team where there just aren’t that many extremes in either direction — aside from Hellebuyck.

I’m not surprised Dom describes the guy who was voted 5th for the Norris last year as “middle” because a year ago he called him one of the worst defencemen in the league…

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He does appear to have a dislike for the Jets.
They call Morrissey a #1 dman. I think it's The collective group they label middle of the pack. Idk why ppl say they dislike the Jets? They were one of the firsts calling for their breakout In 2016 and had them one of the best teams in 2017 and 2018. Their projections have been closer than what most probably want to admit

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's a little ridiculous. Scheifele was a ppg+ player for 6 straight seasons before falling a little short with poor wingers last year - and only scoring 42 goals. KFC also had a bit of an off year. All he did was come within a hair of repeating as a ppg player and lead the team in scoring with 31 goals & 49 assists. That 49 assists was nice to see. And he scored over 30 G again. That is 5 out of his 6 seasons in the NHL. The one he missed was the Covid shortened season of just 56 games. He scored at a 38 G pace that year. Yeah, just meh top to bottom. Ehlers' advanced stats say he is better than either of them but he isn't even meh. Injured too much. Morrissey should have been a Norris nominee last year, but he hasn't done that often enough so, meh.

The middle of the lineup is middling. That's what middle of the lineup is supposed to be. The bottom is mostly pretty middling too, which is a plus.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
yeah those are the main drivers along with old geezer Pavelski lol. Robertson, Oettinger and Heiskanen could very well be Hart, Vezina and Norris finalists this year. Just last season they were 4th, 7th and 5th. Other than NYR, COL or perhaps TBL, idk if there are other teams have that strong of a singular Fwd-D-G combo.
Ehlers, Morrissey, Hellebuyck

(dammit, Nicolaj, play 80 games and PP1 and repay my faith in you!)

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like this Jets team better than last season's team, Scheifele and Helly are playing for new contracts, usually means a good season. Valardi and Iafallo together i think makes us better than with Dubois and for the first time ever i think we have 4 good lines with everyone healthy. The Dude says 1st place man .

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I’m not surprised Dom describes the guy who was voted 5th for the Norris last year as “middle” because a year ago he called him one of the worst defencemen in the league…

IIRC the claim was that JMo's was one of the worst D contracts by the stats, in terms of The Model. Don't think he ever called him one of the league's worst D.

They've said a ton of times that the Jets are tricky because The Model has found their historical combo of high scoring, crap D and elite goaltending hard to make sense of and/ or gain predictive value from.

There's an argument that if The Model consistently can't account for outlier teams like the Jets, then it's a model that needs some tweaking.

The Jets outscoring and/or out-tending their roster unevenness and defensive woes has been a familiar and frustrating theme over the years.

"Middleness" sounds even worse than that.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad