Player Discussion #21 - David Schlemko

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I don't even need to see how Schlemko plays to know he'll suck. Every MB summer signing sucks. Even Sergachev is outscoring Drouin.

I have no expectations in regards to Schlemko. None.

He's a journeyman in the NHL, the only guys who think that he's good(A top-4 d-man) are MB's lover(I wonder why...). Because nothing suggest that he's more than a #5/6D. He's 30 years old, never played a full season, always played at bottom-pairing, we got him for a 5th round pick.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Did they replace his hand, is that the delay in healing? Because I've seen torn MCL's and ACL's heal faster than this butthead's injury.

Reactions: Pointed Finger

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Before the last 2 or 3 seasons he was a 7th dman so yes often healthy scratched.

He's a fine 6th, 7th dman but anyone expecting more than that long term will be disappointed.

Do you know his injury history. Is this something new, or is he another Hemsky?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Do you know his injury history. Is this something new, or is he another Hemsky?

I don't know honestly. He was injured a couple of time last year. Before that he was pretty much a nobody. He's certainly not a guy used to play top 4 minutes at this level for 82 games. Usually when you ask a ~30 years old player to do more that what he is used to do injuries are more likely to happen as the player is getting tired.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don't know honestly. He was injured a couple of time last year. Before that he was pretty much a nobody. He's certainly not a guy used to play top 4 minutes at this level for 82 games. Usually when you ask a ~30 years old player to do more that what he is used to do injuries are more likely to happen as the player is getting tired.

The reason I have a slight hope in him is the NHL has been changing year by year. And with the new rules for stick checks to the hands, the could open up more and more, putting more emphasis on mobility and puck skills, and less on size. For example, a player like Ellis in Nashville has been better in recent years because of the way game has changed.

So, I am curious about Schlemko's game, but not expecting anything more than a bottom pairing dman.

I'm also starting to see Joe Morrow's potential. He can skate and has a good shot. But can he consistently be in position, make plays to move the puck out of the zone, etc...

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
The reason I have a slight hope in him is the NHL has been changing year by year. And with the new rules for stick checks to the hands, the could open up more and more, putting more emphasis on mobility and puck skills, and less on size. For example, a player like Ellis in Nashville has been better in recent years because of the way game has changed.

So, I am curious about Schlemko's game, but not expecting anything more than a bottom pairing dman.

I'm also starting to see Joe Morrow's potential. He can skate and has a good shot. But can he consistently be in position, make plays to move the puck out of the zone, etc...

To be fair, Ellis always had some upside to his game as we was drafted 11th overall and had a great junior career as well as a gold medal with the Canadian U20 at the WJC (if my memory's right). His main concern was his size. Same concerns were said about Torey Krug or even Victor Mete. I'm not expecting anything from Schlemko but the fact that he's signed for 2 more years after this season makes me wonder a lot about this ghost. The only thing we know is that he had a hand injury at the beginning of the camp. He then started playing in the AHL so he could get a conditioning stint and he got hurt again. How? No one knows.. like how we haven't heard of him lately. I found a link that said he would be out 3-4 weeks. Well.. it's been 30 days.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Is he practicing with a prosthetic hand?

hqdefault.jpg

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It was reported earlier that he left practice and didn't return. So speculation was that he got hurt again. Finally, it was because he will play tonight with Laval against Utica. At the Friday scrum on TSN690, they said that they wouldn't be surprised if he plays tomorrow against Buffalo, as well.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I expect him to set the league on fire the first 10-15 games. Some players across the league will start to wear down soon and he is as fresh as a daisy. Everything will be fine and MB will be a genius again. Then reality will kick in later in the season.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

It was reported earlier that he left practice and didn't return. So speculation was that he got hurt again. Finally, it was because he will play tonight with Laval against Utica. At the Friday scrum on TSN690, they said that they wouldn't be surprised if he plays tomorrow against Buffalo, as well.

Or require another operation after the game. Isn't that what happened last time he played in Laval?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When interviewed he said he was feeling rusty. Takes awhile to get back to game pace when you are sitting out. I am interested to see him play. He was a bottom pairing defenseman most of his career. But the coaching of Larry Robinson may have helped. San Jose drafts and teaches good defensive positioning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad