Player Discussion #21 - David Schlemko

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Nathan Beaulieu and a 5th round pick 2019 for David Schlemko and a 3rd round pick BUF 2017. (Scott Walford).

Amazing trade by Bergevin. Beaulieu is a douchbag and Schlemko is more complete than Beaulieu.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Nathan Beaulieu and a 5th round pick 2019 for David Schlemko and a 3rd round pick BUF 2017. (Scott Walford).

Amazing trade by Bergevin. Beaulieu is a douchbag and Schlemko is more complete than Beaulieu.

Let's watch how well Beaulieu does under Housely. I expect Nathan to do well. Schlemko has played on what? 5-6 teams already? Wonder why? But in Habland he all of a sudden becomes a can't miss player. Whatever

BayBye

Jul 9, 2016
Schlemko

is another reason Montreal got older...obviously he has problems or why would he play for so many teams..that usually means the teams get rid of him. We are doomed with no PMD...too much concentration on adding players that play in Bergevin's image..

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Let's watch how well Beaulieu does under Housely. I expect Nathan to do well. Schlemko has played on what? 5-6 teams already? Wonder why? But in Habland he all of a sudden becomes a can't miss player. Whatever

Not sure where in the post you quoted he suggested "can't miss"
He is more complete.

The legend of NB grows with with the frustrated Habs fans each passing day lol. PMD, top 4 guy, young blah blah.
He had a great chance gifted to him to start last year and ended up being bench by years end in the teams most important game. He has long enough to step up and just couldn't figure it out.
Neither player is a game changer. but give me the safer D ( when talking 5/6 guys which they both are) without the knucklehead off ice issues.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Beaulieu showed no improvements in his time with Montreal. There is nothing else we could have done to help him get better. If he flourishes elsewhere, it's because he finally decided to try to improve.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Yeah we should wait to see how Nate does with Housley.

Just like how Gainey and Carbonneau turned all of the Habs forwards into elite two-way players and how Gretzky turned all of the Coyotes into megastars.

Beaulieu is limited and will continue to be limited.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Really? Notice your side stop using salary as the reason to dump on nate. Now the guy that has never played even close to a full season in the NHL after 9 years is "more complete" But a hell of a lot less offence and 6 years older. We really know how to pull the rug out from other GMs just like that Ghetto trade for a player that barely played, and was laughably resigned, but most likely won't even see the ice. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Beaulieu showed no improvements in his time with Montreal. There is nothing else we could have done to help him get better. If he flourishes elsewhere, it's because he finally decided to try to improve.

Can you stop BSing please. By most metrics he improved every single year. :shakehead

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Except having betters stats year over year since making the NHL... Some people will go to any lengths to make Bergevin's bad moves look like wins.I think Beaulieu fits our team needs more than a Schlemko/Davidson type. He was far from perfect but I think Buffalo got a good young D for just a 3rd rounder.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Can you stop BSing please. By most metrics he improved every single year. :shakehead
Can you stop BSing please. Watch more than one game and then you can see how Beaulieu is ridiculously inconsistent offesnively, and always pure trash defensively.
Except having betters stats year over year since making the NHL... Some people will go to any lengths to make Bergevin's bad moves look like wins.I think Beaulieu fits our team needs more than a Schlemko/Davidson type. He was far from perfect but I think Buffalo got a good young D for just a 3rd rounder.

The thing is that the other way happens too. Getting Schklemko for that cheap is a steal, and people still hate on Bergevin for that. Your last sentence reminds me of what Avs fans said when they got Gelinas for a third.

Link67

Oct 8, 2016

What the hell are you on about? Seriously? Did you watch the entire season from a god damn spreadsheet or did you use your actual eyeballs to determine how these guys are playing out there? He had 3 years to establish himself, and the only thing he established was he was unreliable and inconsistent, a problem he carried with him all 3 of those years.

Beaulieu had a heck of a pre-season, got a golden opportunity to play with Weber, botched that with inconsistent play and clearly not being able to handle top players on a nightly basis. Then he gets put in a safe place in the line up, proceeds to remain inconsistent and reckless, and finishes his season off by being a healthy scratch for pivotal playoff games because he could not be reliable consistently.

On a side note, he not only botched himself out of the spot with Weber, but Emelin, who replaced him actually looked better there than he did for months until his wheels fell off as well. Think about that for a moment, let it sink in, Alexei Emelin looked better on the top pair with Weber than Beaulieu. Stylistically and Talent wise there is no reason that should have happened, Beaulieu's style of play suits a guy like Weber, what doesn't suit anyone at the NHL level, is inconsistent defensive play, where one night you look like a top 4 guy and the other night you look like you should be in a suit upstairs. And after all that, you are trying to come in here with some sort of Metrics argument? This is why analytics sometimes get put in the blender, how can any spreadsheet try and show a player is effective, when if you actually watch him play, you are shaking your head more often than anything?

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
is another reason Montreal got older...obviously he has problems or why would he play for so many teams..that usually means the teams get rid of him. We are doomed with no PMD...too much concentration on adding players that play in Bergevin's image..

Uhhhh I am not sure if you noticed, but Schlemko plays a very PMD style game, his style is very new age. He even mentions it as his main strength in his interview today so I am not sure what you are talking about with the whole PMD guys and Bergevin's image.

He played for many teams because it wasn't until recently that the NHL started to see the use of guys like this. Who are not physically imposing, or shot blockers, but simply move the puck very well around the ice and help your transition game. He found his niche recently, provided SJ with some solid hockey, go check on their forums, they are not thrilled about losing him. Add to that fact, he played very well in the playoffs for them this year, compounding with an effective regular season, and you have yourself a very solid addition to our 3rd pair.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Can you stop BSing please. Watch more than one game and then you can see how Beaulieu is ridiculously inconsistent offesnively, and always pure trash defensively.

The thing is that the other way happens too. Getting Schklemko for that cheap is a steal, and people still hate on Bergevin for that. Your last sentence reminds me of what Avs fans said when they got Gelinas for a third.

Yeah except Beaulieu just re-upped for 2 years and wasn't making minimum salary. That being said I never called Beaulieu some kind of stud he has his warts but I think he can be a very decent 30-35 point D which is far better than anything Gelinas has ever done.

I suppose time will tell whether he can progress and reach his potential.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah except Beaulieu just re-upped for 2 years and wasn't making minimum salary. That being said I never called Beaulieu some kind of stud he has his warts but I think he can be a very decent 30-35 point D which is far better than anything Gelinas has ever done.

I suppose time will tell whether he can progress and reach his potential.

Well in Gelinas's rookie season he eclipsed Beaulieu's career high by 1 point in 14 fewer games and also has a much higher career PPG...

To me they both have warts and don't warrant much attention anymore

EDIT: shouldn't say much higher career PPG, 0.29 vs 0.27

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

I'd take Beaulieu on the Habs right now as he is better than I lot of the crap they have back on the blueline.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Jul 6, 2016

Beaulieu will do well IF.... he managed to cut on his off ice a"activities".

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bealieu sucks. If he plays well in Buffalo good for him, but with Mtl he sucked ass

That sentence is the very reason why we have not win **** in the last 30 years. Our management lives in the past and can't evaluate the future properly.

I hope you do realize that a not insignificant portion of the young players sucked at first before getting better and figuring it out.

It's too easy. Way to easy as an excuse. He was not good for us therefor it's not a bad move. I have a news for you LeClair was not very good for us either. I'm sorry but lot of us called protecting Benn over Beaulieu a bad move and if Beaulieu is better than Benn next season nothing will excuse this move.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Benn, Streit, Schlemko...

Maybe Davidson and Jerabek won't be more than #7-#6 too, but they need a chance before we can judge them.

You mean the same Benn that was put on a pairing with Nate and looked twice as good as him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad