GDT: #21 11/25 Blue Jackets at Devils - Patty's return

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Linesmen are allowed to discuss it with refs, its within the rules, so no the tough luck is for NJ.

Then they should be allowed to blow play dead. Don't they already blow play dead on high sticks and offsides? What if some major injury had happened in the ten seconds between when the play happened and the goal scored because protocol didn't allow linesmen to blow play dead?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm not happy with how this was handled, but after viewing the alternate angle I can understand why the call was made. Campbell appears to swat the puck down low which (apparently) constitutes possession according to the rules.

I guess I didn't need to blow a gasket over this. :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just watch

We're gonna miss the playoffs by 5 or 6 points and the BLOW Jackets are gonna miss finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 by the same amount of points.

And then hopefully there's no questions as to why these two things happened when we go 1-3-1 or 0-4-1 against them this season.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Then they should be allowed to blow play dead. Don't they already blow play dead on high sticks and offsides? What if some major injury had happened in the ten seconds between when the play happened and the goal scored because protocol didn't allow linesmen to blow play dead?

Let me ask you, how would you feel if you were a columbus fan? You would feel that the right call was made. At the end of the day, these hypothetical don't matter, the correct play occurred and it followed the rule books. Anyone complaining does not have much of a leg to stand on.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

They can call the play dead for a major injury not seen by referees.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I'm still not sure that I agree with the call, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I'm just going to move on and focus on having a happy Thanksgiving with my family. I wish everyone here a happy Thanksgiving, too.

Same to you and your Family. However I choose to be pissed off at the worst officiating crew on ice. May they be sent off to some little **** rink in Saskatchewan.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let me ask you, how would you feel if you were a columbus fan? You would feel that the right call was made. At the end of the day, these hypothetical don't matter, the correct play occurred and it followed the rule books. Anyone complaining does not have much of a leg to stand on.

Of course Columbus fans are going to be happy lol...but would they have been as happy if one of their players got hurt during the interval where Campbell shot the puck in the corner and the play actually ended cause the play wasn't stopped?

And if we're going to retroactively reverse that fine, let's reverse everything and let games go on for four hours.

They can call the play dead for a major injury not seen by referees.

Which makes it even more nonsensical that they can't blow play dead when they obviously see possession.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just watch

We're gonna miss the playoffs by 5 or 6 points and the BLOW Jackets are gonna miss finishing in the bottom 3 or 4 by the same amount of points.

And then hopefully there's no questions as to why these two things happened when we go 1-3-1 or 0-4-1 against them this season.

Columbus is only seven points out of the second wild card lol...the Hynes for Jack Adams articles of November are going to be replaced by the Torts for Adams ones in December :help:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And it's worse because it's a scoring play.

That's one of the biggest problems.

Generally the way things are handled in the reversal of goals is completely different to just regular action in all other cases.

Refs 90% of the time can't overturn a goal simply by huddling up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Columbus is only seven points out of the second wild card lol...the Hynes for Jack Adams articles of November are going to be replaced by the Torts for Adams ones in December :help:

Don't worry, they aren't going anywhere.:laugh::laugh:

This is my year, last year I whiffed on the Winnipeg, Islanders and Calgary.

And what do you know? Calgary is another trash dumpster that's gonna finish bottom 5, Winnipeg has certainly started to regress again. Islanders haven't regressed though, but I never thought they would. Not to the level of Winnipeg or Calgary.

But I did predict Colorado and Dallas to miss before last season, and for Nashville to make the playoffs before last season started. I don't think many people were picking those. A lot of people did predict a Colorado collapse, but not the other two. They lazily picked everyone that made it the year before.

I also predicted Columbus to miss the last two years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Of course Columbus fans are going to be happy lol...but would they have been as happy if one of their players got hurt during the interval where Campbell shot the puck in the corner and the play actually ended cause the play wasn't stopped?

And if we're going to retroactively reverse that fine, let's reverse everything and let games go on for four hours.

Which makes it even more nonsensical that they can't blow play dead when they obviously see possession.

I think you're going to see the league change this to prevent something like this happening.

Really no reason not for them to allow referees to make that call.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Larsson is so good, man. He had a couple of shifts with Gelinas and still managed a very good 68 CF% with only 38% OffZoneStart.

I think he just needs to work on his shot to be a star. His shot is so inaccurate.

Another very good game by Merrill. He's been better than Severson as of late.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This may have already been discussed, but does anyone have opinions on possible trade targets Rychel and Atkinson?

I'd love them.

Send JD a sack of butter and cream donuts, I bet he'd like that.

Don't wanna give these sacks of **** any more draft picks.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Nice to see Elias back I like him with JJ but not with Matteau. Hynes must have felt the same way as Matteau only had 8 minutes of TOI time.

Severson had a bad night.

We need the 1st and 2nd lines to both score on the same night in the same game.

Schneider was awesome as usual.

On to Montreal, Price may be out .

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Henrique and Cammalleri had very good games too. It's a shame that first period was so awful, if we had played a consistent 60 minutes I think this game would've been a different story.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
How often do teams score on the delay? (This is a small number less than 1).

Multiply that fraction by the ratio of times refs miss "possession" over the number of times they dont. (This is going to be a very small number less than 1).

Now you have the chances of a team scoring on a delay AND the refs missing possession in the same play.

Take a small number and multiply it by another small number both of which are less than 1 and you get an even SMALLER number. When the number is that small you will realize why linsemen aren't tasked with blowing the whistle there.

I can quite honestly say I never recall such a situation as last night but the referees made the correct decision in the end. Sucks but if it was the situation was reversed we would ALL be praising the refs for "getting it right."

It may have been "handled poorly" but the refs followed the book. Truly they are damned if they do, damned if they dont in this case.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Fans at the game especially had the carpet pulled out from under them.

The joy of cheering a big 3rd period goal, one where the ref pointed to the goal signifying one.

Their entertainment value was robbed.

The Devils mainly lost the game in the first period.
Along with a putrid power play.

They can't just decide to turn it on late in a game. Not talented enough.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
After watching the replay they got it right.

But it just annoys me that they can switch it the way they did, without a review at the very least. I guess Im just used to the football idea that all scoring players are reviewed. Because if it was reviewed and reversed i would have been much more ok with it then how it was done.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've been watching Devils games since '82. NHL since '80.

I've never once seen what happened last night. A goal scored on a delayed penalty and then afterwards a linesman over ruling the ref(s).

I have seen about 5 times where the Devils played the puck while facing a delayed penalty, but a whistle wasn't blown and the opponent went on to score. And they all counted even after Devils players argued.

I've seen many strange and downright offensive calls go against us through the years.

The officials ruled a goal against us in msg when a Robbie Ftorek backhander clanked squarely off the crossbar in the early 80s in a tie game late in the 3rd

Overall, the NHL officials have not been kind to NJD since our inception.
Consciously or not, we will never know.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Columbus may have touched the puck but this is just a bush league way to handle things. Screw Columbus. The dope referees miss penalties and call phantom **** every singe game (still waiting on that penalty to be called for the elbow to Palmieri's face). The problem here is that they're not reversing a call, they're making a call after the fact. It's ridiculous.

So Linesman can make judgement calls like this and can call penalties, but do not have the power to stop play. Well what the hell do we need referees for besides to just take up space? They do an abysmal job as it is. Just let the linesman do everything out there and save us all the frustration.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

As a Jackets fan I have mixed emotions. Happy for the 2 points but I don't like the way it happened. If the rule book says it was right to do it this way I guess I'm okay with it. My biggest gripe is consistency and what kind of precedents this sets. Will every goal be reviewed to see if a whistle should have blown? I'm okay with the limited reviews and coaches challenges but I still think last night was a bit controversial.

As someone above suggested let linesmen blow the whistle for possession like off sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad