World Cup: 2024 World Cup - rosters

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And... I can't believe I'm quoting Don Cherry here.. but I remember in one game he said he'd prefer to not have Canadian refs do Canadian games becasue people will complain. I agree.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What's the point of having a World Cup when we all know Canada is going to win no matter who they put on their roster?
Trying to understand... they will win because they are deep in tradtion, players and depth?

OR

They will win no matter what because they are corrupt?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It baffles me how these threads turn to begin with, and for what reason.

It's clearly stated in the thread title.............world cup rosters. Now, along comes a poster who by name account and picture in his avatar appears to be a fan from Finland ( correct me if I am wrong) saying what is the point of having a world cup if we already know Canada is going to win ( which of course we all know full well is sheer comedic fallacy) it appears to be a a bait post and of course there are plenty of fish on here willing to latch onto the hook with the delicious worm hanging from it which a fan from Europe is only too willing to do and then proceeds to give exactly what the original poster seemed to be looking for........................an opportunity to piss on the most hated Canada. Yet................the poster in question making the ludicrous claim seems to be of Finnish origin.

and off we go!! I mean, childishness in the extreme by that poster and the one who responded to it in the manner they did with the usual hack and slash on Canada. Hopefully most people can see through this and it can go back to roster discussion ( for a tournament that low and behold we don't know when or if is ever going to happen anyway with the NHL latest bullshit)

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It baffles me how these threads turn to begin with, and for what reason.

It's clearly stated in the thread title.............world cup rosters. Now, along comes a poster who by name account and picture in his avatar appears to be a fan from Finland ( correct me if I am wrong) saying what is the point of having a world cup if we already know Canada is going to win ( which of course we all know full well is sheer comedic fallacy) it appears to be a a bait post and of course there are plenty of fish on here willing to latch onto the hook with the delicious worm hanging from it which a fan from Europe is only too willing to do and then proceeds to give exactly what the original poster seemed to be looking for........................an opportunity to piss on the most hated Canada. Yet................the poster in question making the ludicrous claim seems to be of Finnish origin.

and off we go!! I mean, childishness in the extreme by that poster and the one who responded to it in the manner they did with the usual hack and slash on Canada. Hopefully most people can see through this and it can go back to roster discussion ( for a tournament that low and behold we don't know when or if is ever going to happen anyway with the NHL latest bullshit)
Does it make sense to keep the thread open? 2024 world cup isn't happening and in 22 pages maybe 10 posts with actual rosters.lol

Reactions: Jussi and Goodman68

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Does it make sense to keep the thread open? 2024 world cup isn't happening and in 22 pages maybe 10 posts with actual rosters.lol
That's a good point. I'd say no.................the thing has been cancelled and with that you know how this thing is going to devolve and indeed it already has so what's the point?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I will disagree a little...

Bitching about refs is an inherit online fan thing to do.

For PROOF.. without even looking. I see 3 NHL teams lost last night...

Sabres, Hawks and my Oilers

I'm willing to bet if you go to their team section here on HF and find the Game Day Threads for those 3 teams... the last 3 pages will be about the refs not being good.lol

My take has always been that reffing is an impossible job.. if you do a perfect job, nobody says a thing. If you make one mistake, you get lit up. However, I expect every single hockey game from house league to a best on best final to a Stanley Cup final to have people complaining about the refs.lol
Of course they will complain about the refs. In every sport in every country people complain about the refs. I doubt that it would often be about the refs being biased though. In Canada IIHF refs have pretty much always been viewed as incompetent more than anything else, though the world cup doesn't use IIHF refs. Not totally sure but I am thinking that for the most part American fans are in line with Canadians in considering the reffing incompetent rather than biased.

The howling about the refs has subsided somewhat in recent times as the stylistic and even rulebook difference between NHL hockey and IIHF hockey has gotten way smaller.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My take is this, if I were a fan from one of the big powers in hockey who has yet to have won a senior best on best tournament it would hardly make a difference to me what fans of other countries say after a loss anyway, I'd be focused on only one thing......................actually winning one. After all, you're one of the club but you're missing that jewel in the crown, something from what I can gather from a lot of the fans here they consider their upcoming manifest destiny.

I mean..............Canada has won them too may times to count, the U.s has won one, the czechs have, the Swedes have, the Russians have, but I haven't.

Seems like that is where my focus would be, not what fans of teams I don't cheer for mutter after a loss.

Don't see much point in anything else really as a fan.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Of course they will complain about the refs. In every sport in every country people complain about the refs. I doubt that it would often be about the refs being biased though. In Canada IIHF refs have pretty much always been viewed as incompetent more than anything else, though the world cup doesn't use IIHF refs. Not totally sure but I am thinking that for the most part American fans are in line with Canadians in considering the reffing incompetent rather than biased.

The howling about the refs has subsided somewhat in recent times as the stylistic and even rulebook difference between NHL hockey and IIHF hockey has gotten way smaller.
I do remember, I think it was 2011 in Bratislava but don't quote me... they interviewed Patrik Elias and he absolutely smashed the Euro refs (on TSN) saying they are nowhere near the standard of the NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My take is this, if I were a fan from one of the big powers in hockey who has yet to have won a senior best on best tournament it would hardly make a difference to me what fans of other countries say after a loss anyway, I'd be focused on only one thing......................actually winning one. After all, you're one of the club but you're missing that jewel in the crown, something from what I can gather from a lot of the fans here they consider their upcoming manifest destiny.

I mean..............Canada has won them too may times to count, the U.s has won one, the czechs have, the Swedes have, the Russians have, but I haven't.

Seems like that is where my focus would be, not what fans of teams I don't cheer for mutter after a loss.

Don't see much point in anything else really as a fan.
Is the Russian one the Canada Cup that no one discusses?lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Is the Russian one the Canada Cup that no one discusses?lol
what Russian one? lol

I do my best with that ass kicking and time and subsequent glorious victories has banished it from my mind somewhat but I must confess to it still bothering me somewhat.

Im struggling to recall a bigger wake up call I've ever received in my life in any area .

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I do remember, I think it was 2011 in Bratislava but don't quote me... they interviewed Patrik Elias and he absolutely smashed the Euro refs (on TSN) saying they are nowhere near the standard of the NHL.
Yeah I believe I recall that a clear majority of NHLers, when polled, preferred to have NHL refs at the Olympics. Only dissenter that I recall publicly was a retired Peter Forsberg bemoaning it in 2014. In any event I don't think that reffing has been an issue at the best on best level in quite a while. Small sample size though, unfortunately.

What centennial is that?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah I believe I recall that a clear majority of NHLers, when polled, preferred to have NHL refs at the Olympics. Only dissenter that I recall publicly was a retired Peter Forsberg bemoaning it in 2014. In any event I don't think that reffing has been an issue at the best on best level in quite a while. Small sample size though, unfortunately.

What centennial is that?
Not sure.. hoping a Swede answers.lol That team was ridiculous!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

If I had a penny for every time NHL fans (North Americans) claim refs are biased, I'd have millions in the bank.

It's so prevalent even the Athletic made fun of it.
Down Goes Brown: Is the NHL rigged in favor of your team or against it?

This type of stuff knows no national boundries.

Reactions: Czechboy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If I had a penny for every time NHL fans (North Americans) claim refs are biased, I'd have millions in the bank.

It's so prevalent even the Athletic made fun of it.
Down Goes Brown: Is the NHL rigged in favor of your team or against it?

This type of stuff knows no national boundries.
At the NHL level yes. They stupidly do all around the world. I am speaking about international hockey, where the blame generally goes to the competence of the IIHF refs and also the IIHF rulebook, moreso in the past. Americans may be different.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
At the NHL level yes. They stupidly do all around the world. I am speaking about international hockey, where the blame generally goes to the competence of the IIHF refs and also the IIHF rulebook, moreso in the past. Americans may be different.

Not seeing it though. This stuff is either engrained in a hockey culture, or its not.
Fans aren't gonna throw around conspiracy theories like candy for the NHL, then magically cease for international tournaments.
This doesn't pass the smell test.

I mean did you happen to view Twitter after Canada lost in OT to Finland at last year's WC? Sweet Jesus, you'd think Canada was the 1972 US olympic basketball team.

Europe or NA, it's all the same crap.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not seeing it though. This stuff is either engrained in a hockey culture, or its not.
Fans aren't gonna throw around conspiracy theories like candy for the NHL, then magically cease for international tournaments.
This doesn't pass the smell test.

I mean did you happen to view Twitter after Canada lost in OT to Finland at last year's WC? Sweet Jesus, you'd think Canada was the 1972 US olympic basketball team.

Europe or NA, it's all the same crap.
Don't really care if you think you see it, it's been around for a very long time and as noted several times has receded in recent years as international hockey and NHL hockey have become very similar. Your claims about what you saw on twitter recently don't counteract what existed for decades. IIHF referees were viewed as incompetent rather than inherently biased, and the IIHF rulebook and standard were often decried. To contrast with Americans, I have never heard an American complain that Canadian referees worked the 2002 and 2010 Olympic gold medal games. Far cry from the 2014 gold medal game even though no one is willing to actually point out specific instances of shaky officiating.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Don't really care if you think you see it, it's been around for a very long time and as noted several times has receded in recent years as international hockey and NHL hockey have become very similar. Your claims about what you saw on twitter recently don't counteract what existed for decades. IIHF referees were viewed as incompetent rather than inherently biased, and the IIHF rulebook and standard were often decried. To contrast with Americans, I have never heard an American complain that Canadian referees worked the 2002 and 2010 Olympic gold medal games. Far cry from the 2014 gold medal game even though no one is willing to actually point out specific instances of shaky officiating.

Historically? Huh?
Good heavens, the county's biggest international sporting moment is centered around overcoming 'biased' obsticles (reffing being a giant one). What, is Parise gonna almost attack a ref over incompetance?

Canada's enitre history with the IIHF is steeped in claims of bias; accusations of how they were intentionally receiving the short end of the stick in favor of the Euro nations.
What, did this just magically cease when it came to accusations of ref bias?
Of course it didn't.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Historically? Huh?
Good heavens, the county's biggest international sporting moment is centered around overcoming 'biased' obsticles (reffing being a giant one). What, is Parise gonna almost attack a ref over incompetance?

Canada's enitre history with the IIHF is steeped in claims of bias; accusations of how they were intentionally receiving the short end of the stick in favor of the Euro nations.
What, did this just magically cease when it came to accusations of ref bias?
Of course it didn't.

Yes, Josef Kompalla is (more likely was) widely regarded as an incompetent ref in Canada. Biased as well sure, but incompetent. Sinden has various quotes on the matter and generally describes the team's view as Kompalla being an amateur who may have been intimidated by the scale of the events and who performed below the standard deserved. A better example is the moron who presided over the punch up in Piestany - a terrible ref who didn't know what he was doing and allowed things to get out of hand, not some Soviet homer. A big part of the issue surrounding Kompalla and team Canada in game 8 was the agreement that he was finished refereeing in the series... until he showed up in game 8.

You're attempting to guess at the sporting culture from the outside - people have never gone around in Canada talking about some international ref being biased against Canada, but has long been a common refrain that IIHF refs were incompetent and the IIHF rulebook/standard too restrictive when it comes to physicality. Has the IIHF historically favoured European hockey? No shit, it's a European entity that operates primarily in Europe. The NHL favours North American hockey. Refs are individuals however. Since you're coming from a European perspective I can see why you assume that Canada would operate the same way (my favourite is the cries that FIFA would never allow referees from the same country, as if FIFA is an aspiration for hockey)...... but you're not especially accurate.

The threads are there and can be read. European posters, though not them alone, to a very disproportionate degree fixate on bias in international hockey. One of the funniest things I've seen on the site recently was a poster trying to claim that TSN was scheduling commercial breaks to benefit team Canada in the summer WJC. In any event not to worry - the NHL's world cup is DEFINITELY going to happen in 2025 so there will be a clear case study. These tournaments happen like clockwork.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Ignore the Czech. The Swedish gala named their alll star team for the last 100 years. Not bad at all! Juggernaut

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Tommy Salo wasn't named the goalie? I am disappointed in that.
Poor guy... became an alcoholic.. maybe even landed in prison for DUI.

He was a good Oiler but that Belarus (I think?) was a killer!

ranchand

Nov 5, 2022
I think there will be better then pietro

I also think Bedard , Suzuki , I would like to see Dach progression

As defence I see Power , chabot , Reilly maybe even Bouchard and Nurse get a look

I would like to see how Guhl develops in 2 years
I doubt Tavares is on a 2022 TC roster let alone a 2025. Stone and stammer likely not on a 2025 roster either.
Chabot doesnt add anything to a TC roster. Buddy played against him in the Memorial Cup a few years back and said he was the softest d man in the corners he’d ever played against.
I agree with Bouchard though. Will be in his prime and his shot adds an element that could be very beneficial to a powerplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad