Prospect Info: 2024 WJC Preliminary Discussion

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Overall, 1 goal from all of our prospects combined is quite disappointing no matter how you draw it up.
lol even by my standards this is way too negative and feels a bit anxiety driven

I mean I am a big Rinzel fan and spoken plenty about his tools.. just brought up the SF, but the tournament as a whole he was not that great. The gold medal game he was solid when it mattered though.
Still very raw but his defensive game is further along than I expected and a big guy that skates like him is always exciting to have as a prospect.

Think people made too much a big deal out of one giveaway that lead to the first Finnish goal. Korchinski does that multiple times per game (in NHL of course, but point still).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
YescI thought Rinzel played well defensively ....woukd like ...he was only a bit better than average offensively though...one of his better offensive stats appears to be the the successful entries per 60 stat bar...but I do notrecall him trying a lot of carry ins..it seemed like Casey or Hutson were flying into the.o-zone with carry ins...have you gotca comparison between Rinzel's entries/60 vs. the other USA dmen?

Also if the entries /60 includes Po shifts,he was not on them...others like Casey were ...so their entries/60 could be inflated by those roles..

You pkay tgecrokevyou are given
..so maybe he could be better/more assertive offensively of given that attacking role...I thought except for a few times he sashed in deep that his offensive game was rather cautious and passive or quickly deferring and passing it to a forward ratger than attacking like the flashier Casey did.

We did notcsee for instance Rinzel controlling the puck long and skatingvarouns from high to low then around the netvback high andvtiringbout checkers...like Casey did.

We did not see him shooting much at the net.. as if he.did not want to shoot but would rather let his forwards on shift with him do it.We know he can skate..but I do notvtjink Hawkscdrafted him to be a shutdown D...rather he needs to beca lot more assertive in attacking with vigor...otherwise,the skating and good size he gas goes wasted when in the o-zone..

However...pleased his defendibg has come along and he may not be just a project pick anymore..IF they can unlock more offensive potential then Hawks might have a more complete d-man..Until that comes he still might only havec3rd pair ceiling ...

Reactions: clydesdale line

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Think people made too much a big deal out of one giveaway that lead to the first Finnish goal. Korchinski does that multiple times per game (in NHL of course, but point still).
Well it was one giveaway that was brutal, but that entire game he was an accident waiting to happen. Needed him over the boards and back off as soon as possible. A forecheckers dream.

Regardless he has improved immensely since he was drafted as a toolsy project guy.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
lol even by my standards this is way too negative and feels a bit anxiety driven

Still very raw but his defensive game is further along than I expected and a big guy that skates like him is always exciting to have as a prospect.

5 skaters in the tourney and one goal amongst them isnt disappointing? I’m not proclaiming that they’re all destined for the AHL.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
5 skaters in the tourney and one goal amongst them isnt disappointing?
I suppose if you isolate a small sample of games into a vacuum of just that one stat, then yes. I guess you could say the same for Hossa 2010 Playoffs and Toews 2013 Playoffs as well if you don't consider other things.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Rinzel really didn't have a great tournament to be honest. He was fine. He was an accident waiting to happen in the Semi-final.
On any given game, Team USA had dmen that were an accident waiting to happen. In some cases, it was eating a whopper with cheese, talking on a hand-held cell phone, and reading a fiddy post while driving on 294 accident waiting to happen. Other than one major blunder, Rinzel held up well for such a big stage.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Never mentioned Misiak in my WJC stuff. Nothing to mention. He was pretty bad. His effort in games was like non-existent. Very odd as it’s generally his calling card.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Never mentioned Misiak in my WJC stuff. Nothing to mention. He was pretty bad. His effort in games was like non-existent. Very odd as it’s generally his calling card.

Yeah doesn't sound like him at all. Hope it's not the concussion effecting him, as much as it seems like a stretch.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If Buium wasn't 5'10, I think the Hawks would definitely look into him more even if he's another LHD. I just don't think he's the type of player who fits into what they're trying to build on the backend.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Buium has grown over the last year (he's just turned 18) and is now longer 5-10- Denver and Team USA currently list him at 6-2, 180 lbs. His brother Shai (also with Denver) tops out at 6-4. Zeev might not be a full 6-2 in real life, but he's over 6 feet for sure...

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If Buium wasn't 5'10, I think the Hawks would definitely look into him more even if he's another LHD. I just don't think he's the type of player who fits into what they're trying to build on the backend.
My, how things have changed.

Unlike Stan, KD seems to know that smurf prospects are rarely effective as NHL Dmen. Even if they are exceptional, a GM can only afford to have one or two at most on your team at the same time.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It's either Buium or Levshunov as the top defenseman for me

Top speed is too slow to be a Hawk unfortunately. Even if he plays incredibly smart

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad