OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
OK, gonna make a bunch of half-assed suppositions and make some connections that probably don't exist.

That disclaimer out of the way, let's revisit DQ's W-feathered shirt.

"W" happens to be the first letter of "warriors," and our Native American mascot was envisaged as a warrior.

There was so much fervor and gnashing that I honestly can't remember where the sense of the argument ended as to whether using any Native American imagery/relations was gone forever or not.

BUT, if the window is still open at all, I think "Warriors" would enable us to bring back some elements (like the spear, the feathers) while doing so in a way that would reflect respect rather than a derogatory reference.

(Within that context, I think the depiction on our traditional helmets was very dignified, but too much water may have already passed under that bridge.)

(And if we did do "Warriors, I'd want them to change the font of that stupid W.)
My only issue with the Warriors is there’s still not a good shorthand name for it. Three-syllable team names with no abbreviation suck. I think Red Wolves is still my number one and maybe not that Danny Dirtbag is banished to the Netherworld, someone who holds that trademark wouldn’t be as opposed to negotiating to allow the franchise to use it.

Let’s go Wars would make Dick Cheney and his buttplug friends at Halliburton proud but it doesn’t have a great ring to it.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I liked being Football team. I got some discounted team gear when they switched names again. I wont buy Commanders gear still. Maybe JD can change that

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
OK, gonna make a bunch of half-assed suppositions and make some connections that probably don't exist.

That disclaimer out of the way, let's revisit DQ's W-feathered shirt.

"W" happens to be the first letter of "warriors," and our Native American mascot was envisaged as a warrior.

There was so much fervor and gnashing that I honestly can't remember where the sense of the argument ended as to whether using any Native American imagery/relations was gone forever or not.

BUT, if the window is still open at all, I think "Warriors" would enable us to bring back some elements (like the spear, the feathers) while doing so in a way that would reflect respect rather than a derogatory reference.

(Within that context, I think the depiction on our traditional helmets was very dignified, but too much water may have already passed under that bridge.)

(And if we did do "Warriors, I'd want them to change the font of that stupid W.)
It’s funny — when they first talked about the name change, I wasn’t into the Warriors, like at all. Living here in Bay Area, I see Warriors stuff all the time. I did not want to emulate that.

Now? I’d be thrilled to have that over the stupid name they took. 100%.

I’m still finding myself wanting RedWolves or RedTails. Alliteration isn’t my thing (Warriors or Wolves), but it’s better than Commanders!

My only issue with the Warriors is there’s still not a good shorthand name for it. Three-syllable team names with no abbreviation suck. I think Red Wolves is still my number one and maybe not that Danny Dirtbag is banished to the Netherworld, someone who holds that trademark wouldn’t be as opposed to negotiating to allow the franchise to use it.

Let’s go Wars would make Dick Cheney and his buttplug friends at Halliburton proud but it doesn’t have a great ring to it.
There is a shorthand for Warriors. It’s already a thing.

The Dubs. Golden State is called the Dubs by a LOT of people.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
District Kings
DC Dividers
District Defenders
Capital City Crush
Capital City Hit Squad
DC Reps

Nothing goes w Washington imo. The internet has had years to come up w something creative and its lame ass red wolves

Id like them to consider maybe changing the Washington part

or Washington Hogs.

It should be the Washington Hogs

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I’m still finding myself wanting RedWolves or RedTails. Alliteration isn’t my thing (Warriors or Wolves), but it’s better than Commanders!

This is exactly where I am, with Red Tails slightly higher for the uniqueness and cool factor. Still honors a military connection, promotes a criminally under recognized unit, and could very easily be tied back into the legacy burgundy and gold colors and even fight song. Wolves would fit into the fight song even better.

I hate the idea of abandoning the entire legacy, completely. Keep the colors, keep the themes, but lose find a new name which won't offend anyone within reason.

Commanders is flat terrible and they've always sucked as the Commies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
This is exactly where I am, with Red Tails

I like the idea behind Red Tails, but it has that Commies drawback where people'll be talking about kicking our red tails or spanking our tails red... We get enough of that shit as it is. ;)

Let's ask ChatGPT...

Certainly! Here are 15 suggestions for a new name for the Washington Commanders, aiming for uniqueness, and a strong, positive image:
  1. Washington Guardians - Symbolizes protection and strength.
  2. Washington Sentinels - Represents watchfulness and defense.
  3. Washington Warriors - Conveys bravery and courage.
  4. Washington Defenders - Highlights a protective and resilient nature.
  5. Washington Monarchs - Suggests regality and leadership.
  6. Washington Renegades - Connotes boldness and independence.
  7. Washington Revolution - Reflects historical significance and change.
  8. Washington Titans - Implies immense strength and power.
  9. Washington Avengers - Emphasizes justice and heroism.
  10. Washington Armada - Represents a powerful, united force.
  11. Washington Phoenix - Symbolizes rebirth and resilience.
  12. Washington Trailblazers - Reflects pioneering spirit and innovation.
  13. Washington Capitals - Plays on the city’s status while indicating leadership.
  14. Washington Sentinels - Conveys vigilance and readiness.
  15. Washington Vanguards - Suggests being at the forefront of progress and defense.
These names are crafted to avoid offensive imagery and provide a strong, positive representation for the team.

I refined the prompt a bit, then it spat out Legends, Thunder, Force, Rampage, Cyclones, Gladiators, Spartans, Outlaws, and Mavericks. For animals it came up with Pumas, Wolves, Badgers, Dragons, Mustangs and Rhinos. When I asked it for some curveballs, it came back with Phantoms, Thunderbolts, Cyclones, Infernos, and Enforcers.

Asked it to dial into the nation's capital thing - Presidents, Generals, Senators, Founders, Liberty, Revolution, Justice, Minutemen, Freedom. W's got Whirlwinds, Wildcats, Warlords, and Wranglers.

Then I asked for its favorites based on the entire conversation and it did its robot thing talking about not having favorites. So I said, "Okay, fine. But which ones stroke your algorithm just right?" and it spit out...

1. Washington Wolves - Alliterative and evokes a pack mentality.
  2. Washington Revolution - Reflects historical significance and change.
  3. Washington Monarchs - Suggests regality and leadership.
  4. Washington Sentinels - Conveys vigilance and readiness.
  5. Washington Legends - Celebrates iconic figures and legacies.
  6. DC Defenders - Alliteration with "DC," emphasizes protection.
  7. Washington Valor - Implies bravery and courage.
  8. Washington Paladins - Evokes noble warriors and protectors.
  9. Washington Vanguards - Suggests leadership and being at the forefront.
  10. Washington Unity - Emphasizes community and togetherness.

So.... AI isn't any better at this than we are, but it's doing way better than Snyder, so there's that.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Definitely. There's something about this new trend of teams wearing the same color pants and socks... Makes it look like they're wearing tights. I liked the colors they wore occasionally with the spear helmets about 20 years ago...

b2d50hjxn2z01.jpg

And during the whole new name era I kept saying that I don't really care what the name is, but then they chose Commanders and I realized that, yes, I probably do care a little. ;) I like Wolves or Red Wolves, but really anything along those lines -- simple, inoffensive name, easy to say, good logical nickname if necessary (Bucs, Pats, Fins, etc.), easy imagery for a mascot and branding. Also, think it through a little. You have to know people are going to say Commies, dipshit.

So Wolves works. A home crowd howling could be cool, simple mascot... But some of the other frontrunner names from a couple years ago were also fine, as I recall. Hell, a few cities used to have multiple teams use the same name, including NFL teams (Cards, Pirates, Giants). So DC could do that for all I care (I do like Caps better than Nats, no Wiz).

Anyway, I'm not super picky about it and am in no rush. They should take their time and get it right.

6_8396018.jpg
These were the peak uniforms, actual burgundy and gold

Why did they go away from these before the rebrand to commanders? The ones in more recent years still under the name redskins were more like mustard and ketchup

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
For my money, these are the all-time best:
1715997091951.png

Granted, my fandom began in the '70s, but this is the Washington football franchise look/colors. I know it's not modern, but the post-AFL merger teams can fool around with modernity.
This fanbase doesn't need modernity -- we need a recall to when this team meant community, pride and something worth investing our time, money and hearts in.
Give us Burgundy and Gold, give us thin-'n-thick sleeve stripes, triple vertical pant-stripes and burgundy helmets with a logo that means something.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Let's ask ChatGPT...

So.... AI isn't any better at this than we are, but it's doing way better than Snyder, so there's that.

I'm pretty sure Clippy, the Windows XP personal assistant, could beat Dan Snyder's branding team. :laugh:

I liked how they slipped Capitals in there, and Sentinels twice with different definitions. Glad it didn't suggest Mystics :pickle:

I'm sure the Tennessee Titans wouldn't mind if we poached that either :D

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Warthogs seems obvious to me. Aligns with the history of the team, nice built in snorting cheer, alliteration, easy mascot costume.

Sep 19, 2008
The current unis are so bad someone else here as well as me ended up buying them from non-NFL.com places.

The name is eh, anything other than Redskins would have been hated but Commanders has gotten a LOT of hate.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The current unis are so bad someone else here as well as me ended up buying them from non-NFL.com places.

The name is eh, anything other than Redskins would have been hated but Commanders has gotten a LOT of hate.
I'll continue to buy redskins knockoffs from China with former greats on them before I'd ever be caught dead in one of these current cumhanders jerseys.

Sep 19, 2008
Shameful that an organization with some of the best uniforms ever is wearing their current abominations.

View attachment 873248
View attachment 873249
It's so sad really. They could have at least edited Redskins out and put Commanders on the Redskins jersey and nobody would really care. But Tanya had to interfere and use her "fashion design expertise" to make the current ones.

I would not even mind the Tailfeather R, put a W in that too, that would be nice.

But the W logo they have now sucks, and the uniforms suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad