OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
That picture is freaky. I can’t say that “all of….that” doesn’t make me feel freaky too.

I don’t want to overreact, but man.

Sure, his Dr wants to assure everyone it’s “fine”. I would do same, were I him. He could be ok, and probably will be. BUT, it’s a sizable blood red flag.

Crap. Just when I was leaning into JD. Damned It!

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
That picture is freaky. I can’t say that “all of….that” doesn’t make me feel freaky too.

I don’t want to overreact, but man.

Sure, his Dr wants to assure everyone it’s “fine”. I would do same, were I him. He could be ok, and probably will be. BUT, it’s a sizable blood red flag.

Crap. Just when I was leaning into JD. Damned It!
I thought it looked very photo shopped. I've had this injury in my knee its not a big deal. That said it doesnt change my QB ranks at all.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’m throwing out a counter argument to the idea that JD is way more ready to start day 1 than DM. I’m not saying it’s necessarily right - but more, that this is just another way to look at it.

This past year, DM had to deal with receivers that were never open, and a sh*t o-line that was constantly collapsing in on him. So he had to throw into tight windows, as DBs were draped all over his guys. He had to be creative, and move in and around the pocket to buy his receivers more time. He had to make throws with anticipation, and had to throw guys open. Both are key skills necessary at the NFL level.

By contrast, JD had 2 (maybe 3) 1st round WRs to throw to - that were constantly wide open. His o-line was a Joe Moore Award finalist, and gave him an insane amount of time in the pocket. His tendency was to wait until he saw guys open before throwing it. Meaning he didn’t throw with a lot of anticipation. Since his WRs were so great at getting separation, he also didn’t have to make a lot of tight window throws.

So, what I’m suggesting is that DM faced way more adversity, and carried a sh*t team on his back. Much like he would be doing on this rebuilding Commanders squad. How will JD react to being placed in those same, less than ideal, circumstances? We’ve already seen DM be able to do this - but not so much with JD.

(To be clear, I’ve watched every snap by both guys from last year, and ‘22 for Maye. So I’m not just going by highlights or parroting some random YouTuber).

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
he still looks small

also not running the 40. gtfo ok

We know he's 6'3" and change, so the height is as promised. I thought he looked fine, body-wise.

And the throwing was on point. A couple misses and receivers waiting for longballs, but that's one of the things we knew for sure about him -- he's got a good longball -- so I'm not bothered by it. Everything else looked real good. Clean motion, solid power, accurate. He didn't disappoint.

As for not running the 40, no biggie. We know he's fast. The negative buzz about him that could be addressed on a pro day was weight and how he'd compare to CW and DM throwing, and he delivered on both. Came it at the weight expected and showed power and versatility in arm talent that should measure up fine.

I haven't really seen JJ's throws yet. The video on the NFL channel doesn't show if the passes were complete, which was...weird. I was at work though, so I'm sure there are other angles I can check out.

Eager to see Maye.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
We know he's 6'3" and change, so the height is as promised. I thought he looked fine, body-wise.

And the throwing was on point. A couple misses and receivers waiting for longballs, but that's one of the things we knew for sure about him -- he's got a good longball -- so I'm not bothered by it. Everything else looked real good. Clean motion, solid power, accurate. He didn't disappoint.

As for not running the 40, no biggie. We know he's fast. The negative buzz about him that could be addressed on a pro day was weight and how he'd compare to CW and DM throwing, and he delivered on both. Came it at the weight expected and showed power and versatility in arm talent that should measure up fine.

I haven't really seen JJ's throws yet. The video on the NFL channel doesn't show if the passes were complete, which was...weird. I was at work though, so I'm sure there are other angles I can check out.

Eager to see Maye.
That was annoying yesterday as I was watching JD. Most they showed, but several they just the QB cam shot. To be fair, it's not like these are gameday camera/production crews. Still...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Drake Maye will have his chance to throw on Thursday.

After sitting out on-field drills at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine, the quarterback plans to work out for scouts at UNC's pro day, which can be seen live on NFL+ at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Reactions: ynotcaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I'll say this... the talk about JD's weight, conspiracy stuff like "he drank a gallon of water" is all pretty much bunk when you actually look at him at the pro day. He's put on some muscle. His legs don't look as skinny as they used to.

1711643840153.png

1711644063603.png

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Every JD throw on his pro day.

"I talked to a defensive coordinator here to watch the corners, and he watched Jayden Daniels, and he said 'I do not want to face that dude.'"

ETA:
The had a lot of love for Nabers and more talk that some teams have already put him ahead of MHJ and other might after yesterday's workout. Not that there was ever a big likelihood of this happening, but it would seem to further reduce the chances of SD looking to trade to our spot to ensure they get their get their preferred WR.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
"I talked to a defensive coordinator here to watch the corners, and he watched Jayden Daniels, and he said 'I do not want to face that dude.'"

ETA:
The had a lot of love for Nabers and more talk that some teams have already put him ahead of MHJ and other might after yesterday's workout. Not that there was ever a big likelihood of this happening, but it would seem to further reduce the chances of SD looking to trade to our spot to ensure they get their get their preferred WR.

SD or AZ. If they have two nearly identical stud's to choose from, they will have little incentive to move up to get one. Just like we have little incentive to move up to try to get CW.

As for the DC not wanting to face JD, Dan Quinn is already on record talking about his hard it is to game plan for dual threat QBs. You almost have to run zone to defend against the QB making massive runs when your entire back seven has its backs to the QB, but a lot of teams aren't staffed to run zone very well (we weren't). Adding a "spy" takes one player out of the rush or coverage scheme, exposing gaps in those areas that offenses can exploit.

All that said, QBs still need to throw from the pocket and JD checks that box very well.

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I'll say this... the talk about JD's weight, conspiracy stuff like "he drank a gallon of water" is all pretty much bunk when you actually look at him at the pro day. He's put on some muscle. His legs don't look as skinny as they used to.

View attachment 842567
View attachment 842568
Looks less spindly. GMFB showed a post-workout sit-down with Nabers and Thomas -- Nabers thighs looked like freaking oak trees. Dude looks like he leg-presses small office buildings.

Reactions: usiel

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know we all will have different opinion on the QB pick. But whomever it is I will of course be supportive and hope for the best. Not a fan of the ridiculous hyperbole in some anti-posts.
Totally how I feel. Like you can like one guy without shitting on the other…..I’ll support whichever we take and won’t grumble, until it becomes clear we F’ed it up! ;)

I’ll be on the golf course…..send out some updates!

• Haha
Reactions: ynotcaps and usiel

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

Yeah, he definitely looks fleshier, if you know what I mean. He looked like a skeleton during the season. But again, the real concern isn't the lean body type, it's that frame versus his running style. You guys said yesterday that he stopped doing that toward the end of the year. I think you can argue maybe he did it less, but the hero ball thing was definitely still a thing.

And look, he's trying to win games with a laughable defense. Go nuts, as far as I'm concerned. That's his job. And the "Jackie Chan" thing I posted yesterday was a joke. I know that was a "WTF did he just do?" one-off. His decision-making was rarely that extreme. Still, he wasn't getting down (sliding) and out (of bounds) the way we'll want him to.

Way too many hits, very shaky sack tendencies, and the "not working the middle of the field" thing is also an issue, though maybe just offensive design and not on him specifically. And the "gotta win games" thing isn't much of an excuse because he's going to be on a shaky NFL team, too; one that he might feel needs him to step up.

But he's mature and humble, and that makes him coachable, so maybe it'll work out.

And I think you know where I'm coming from. I love football, and dual-threat QBs are a blast. When I see one take off it's always, "go... Go... GO!!!!!" But when it's MY guy it's, "shit... Shit... SHIT!!!!!" Then I close my eyes and hope the announcers don't say, "Oh no... ... ...That's just... Gross... I mean, ew... They're not supposed to bend like that, Steve... [dry heaving sounds]... Sorry... How are they going to put him on a stretcher all bent up that way?" And so on.

That's what I'm talking about. Watching him with that W on his helmet is going to f***ing kill me. :)

So yeah, I like JD a lot, but part of me is hoping that Drake throws 55 completions with his eyes closed today, y'know?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yeah, Brown's gotta' read this as a flame under his seat. Which is fine -- dude's been essentially a non-entity, even while playing with his college QB, with whom you'd figure he'd have had some chemistry.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah, he definitely looks fleshier, if you know what I mean. He looked like a skeleton during the season. But again, the real concern isn't the lean body type, it's that frame versus his running style. You guys said yesterday that he stopped doing that toward the end of the year. I think you can argue maybe he did it less, but the hero ball thing was definitely still a thing.

And look, he's trying to win games with a laughable defense. Go nuts, as far as I'm concerned. That's his job. And the "Jackie Chan" thing I posted yesterday was a joke. I know that was a "WTF did he just do?" one-off. His decision-making was rarely that extreme. Still, he wasn't getting down (sliding) and out (of bounds) the way we'll want him to.

Way too many hits, very shaky sack tendencies, and the "not working the middle of the field" thing is also an issue, though maybe just offensive design and not on him specifically. And the "gotta win games" thing isn't much of an excuse because he's going to be on a shaky NFL team, too; one that he might feel needs him to step up.

But he's mature and humble, and that makes him coachable, so maybe it'll work out.

And I think you know where I'm coming from. I love football, and dual-threat QBs are a blast. When I see one take off it's always, "go... Go... GO!!!!!" But when it's MY guy it's, "shit... Shit... SHIT!!!!!" Then I close my eyes and hope the announcers don't say, "Oh no... ... ...That's just... Gross... I mean, ew... They're not supposed to bend like that, Steve... [dry heaving sounds]... Sorry... How are they going to put him on a stretcher all bent up that way?" And so on.

That's what I'm talking about. Watching him with that W on his helmet is going to f***ing kill me. :)

So yeah, I like JD a lot, but part of me is hoping that Drake throws 55 completions with his eyes closed today, y'know?

I totally get it. We're all Redskins fans, anxiety is our natural state. I cringe every time any QB drops back to pass. The last time I felt confident in winning a game was January 26, 1992.

Whoever we pick, I'll be their biggest fan. I just don't think we can let the injury scare move us off from the guy we think has the biggest upside, whoever that may be. Me personally, I think that's JD, but KK, DQ and AP may easily see it differently.

Remember, 55 starts in college, 26 in the SEC, and only ~15 minutes missed to a hit while in the pocket, putting him in the concussion protocol which he cleared that week. No missed starts. Breathe, friends, deep breathes. :D

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad