OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Just heard them talking JJM no later than 6th on ESPN…..

Watch him go to the Giants….. @Ridley Simon might lose it! (I think he goes to the Vikings)
That would be upsetting. I didn’t like Michigan this last year, and certainly wasn’t rooting for McCarthy over Penix…. I just think he’s gonna be the best of the lot, and will get picked 4th of the QB’s. And YES, the Giants look poised and ready to pounce.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
If JJ gets to 5 theres no way vikings dont pounce. Hell they’ll go for him at 4. I think giants get nabers

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
That would be upsetting. I didn’t like Michigan this last year, and certainly wasn’t rooting for McCarthy over Penix…. I just think he’s gonna be the best of the lot, and will get picked 4th of the QB’s. And YES, the Giants look poised and ready to pounce.

Some folks are saying they see JJM going before Maye.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

1. The reasons given are as usual f***ing dumb. Maye is very mobile for a big man. The lack of winning resume has something to do with his willingness to forgo a lucrative NIL deal to stay with a shit team.

2. I think a lot of this is bullshit being floated by the likes of New York, New England, Minnesota and Denver who desperately want DM.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

He’s easily the most polarizing of the 4. Some think he’s #4, some #3, a handful #2…..and then the odd Harbaugh, here and there, that has him #1.

I personally have him #2, as we all know.

I’m honestly good with any of the 4. They all have the tools to be “the man” for 10-12 years.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
1. The reasons given are as usual f***ing dumb. Maye is very mobile for a big man. The lack of winning resume has something to do with his willingness to forgo a lucrative NIL deal to stay with a shit team.

2. I think a lot of this is bullshit being floated by the likes of New York, New England, Minnesota and Denver who desperately want DM.
DM giving up the NIL money and staying with a shit NC team shows a lot of character and the type of person who won't try to squeeze for every penny if does hit his potential .

he also seems like the type of guy who isn't just looking out for himself and who the team will follow

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
DM giving up the NIL money and staying with a shit NC team shows a lot of character and the type of person who won't try to squeeze for every penny if does hit his potential .

he also seems like the type of guy who isn't just looking out for himself and who the team will follow
He comes from a pretty successful family. Don't think he's ever been super interested in NIL money. He even made NILs he did sign include his offensive lineman and split the money with them.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Invest in and develop your QB like winning franchises do.

Allow him a year or two to develop so you’ll have 10-15 good seasons on the back end.

Stop trying to squeeze a flash in the pan wild card season out every year like a poverty franchise.
Agreed. I honestly mean no disrespect to JD, as he is very impressive, and I have no idea how his career will turn out.

But going with him feels very Redskinny. “Look at this 24 year old, one year wonder! He won the Heisman! He could scramble to the house on any play!! But he may only last 3 years! So….please buy his jersey, and get tickets while you can!!”

I know it’s a brand new day, and I trust this FO to make good football decisions. But they shouldn’t worry about having to start Mariota week 1. We want sustained long term success, and can be patient during the development process.

Sep 19, 2008

Agreed. I honestly mean no disrespect to JD, as he is very impressive, and I have no idea how his career will turn out.

But going with him feels very Redskinny. “Look at this 24 year old, one year wonder! He won the Heisman! He could scramble to the house on any play!! But he may only last 3 years! So….please buy his jersey, and get tickets while you can!!”

I know it’s a brand new day, and I trust this FO to make good football decisions. But they shouldn’t worry about having to start Mariota week 1. We want sustained long term success, and can be patient during the development process.
I'm worried about JD's frame, yes he's a playmaker but he isn't as big as Maye is

Reactions: Holtbyisms

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

You mean YEAR 1…..that’s what it could be, but hey if the plan is to sit DM a year, so be it….they can play for a top-15 pick next year then start him in year 2. Will be a painful year….

Would also be very Redskinny to F it all up and let JD go onto to be a better throwing Lamar Jackson in NE or NY….

Can’t wait to see who they decide on….

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You mean YEAR 1…..that’s what it could be, but hey if the plan is to sit DM a year, so be it….they can play for a top-15 pick next year then start him in year 2. Will be a painful year….

Would also be very Redskinny to F it all up and let JD go onto to be a better throwing Lamar Jackson in NE or NY….

Can’t wait to see who they decide on….
with the amount of holes this team has in key positions we'll be playing for a top 15 pick regardless of who we pick or who starts

and the ''Redskinny'' thing to do is pass on an elite talent who's been highly rated for years to pick a guy it took 5 yrs and an elite team to be even mentioned as a 1st rd pick

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Would also be very Redskinny to F it all up and let JD go onto to be a better throwing Lamar Jackson in NE or NY…

That's probably going to happen no matter what given how polarizing the choice in. Feels like a modern presidential election, split right down the middle. So if we take Maye and JD is a hair better, we're gonna hear about it from fans for years, and vice versa.

I'm not one to waste time bitching about greener grass, but yeah, it'll suck if our pick busts and the other guy ends up a world-beater. If it's really the case that they've all got the potential and it's how you bring them up, then I guess it's on us no matter which way we go...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
with the amount of holes this team has in key positions we'll be playing for a top 15 pick regardless of who we pick or who starts

and the ''Redskinny'' thing to do is pass on an elite talent who's been highly rated for years to pick a guy it took 5 yrs and an elite team to be even mentioned as 1st rd pick
Recent play matters and reputation only carries so much weight…..this is why it’s even a conversation at all…

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Recent play matters and reputation only carries so much weight…..this is why it’s even a conversation at all…
i agree but you have to put things into context , i'll put it this way

if they flipped teams what are the chances we're even talking about JD as a 1st rd pick , never mine going top 3

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
i agree but you have to put things into context , i'll put it this way

if they flipped teams what are the chances we're even talking about JD as a 1st rd pick , never mine going top 3
This seems like the only argument against JD….the “loaded team” angle….I have said from day one I prefer Maye, but his supporters here typically just try to throw shade at JD, or use his “better team” to denigrate his performance…..I just wish the hardcore Maye supporters were more compelling….pretty much all the video analysis out there fawn over JD and only partially fawn over DM…..that scares me. Video doesnt lie.

I don’t care who we take, just that we get the best one….

Reactions: ynotcaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I would riot. Two terrible moves.
The 2nd move is only terrible if they are using both 36 and 40 to get to 27. That would be bad. However, that’s not what it says. It says simply that they’d use them to move up. I wouldn’t assume using both.

LOL, at JMM @ 2OA. I don’t like that personally, but if that’s what Peters et al want, who are we to criticize?

And Mims on his own at 27 is great. Can’t be upset at that? It’s simply about what we add to 36 (or 40) to move up to 27. It’ll be like 100, at worst, I’d think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad