Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v1 |Sun, Apr 7| @NYY | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Francis vs Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Fire Atkins right now, this offence was pathetic on this road trip. They can scratch a few singles together, take a few walks, but no clutch hit to be found. He is a f***ing idiot. So annoying. This is all on him. He built this offence. He put all these useless coaches in place too. He shit the money bed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His teams made the playoffs 3 out of the four years. The one year they missed it was by one game. He did a good job.
That’s a fairly low bar to meet considering the talent he had at his disposal when he started to rebuild.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
I know people are likely moaning about the offence, but it's actually the pitching that really cost them in this first run of games. If it weren't for the 9 runs they gave up the other day, they would be 5-5 playing against some of the best teams in the league. That's not bad at all.

That said, it is a little surprising that Schneider isn't getting more at bats when the 2nd base by committee trio of Clement, Schneider, and Biggio currently represent the bulk of the entire team's RBI and home run totals. Clearly these three players are the hottest on the team so far, yet IKF, who has NEVER been a good hitter, just keeps showing up at third. Keep those guys in the line up until the others catch up.

It is pretty funny how Kirk is leading the team in RBIs purely on sacrifices. Why is it a guy who is slow as molasses keeps getting those sacrifice grounder RBIs but Vladdy can't do anything unless the bases are empty?

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Fire Atkins right now, this offence was pathetic on this road trip. They can scratch a few singles together, take a few walks, but no clutch hit to be found. He is a f***ing idiot.

Nah. So far the only truly boneheaded move we've seen this year has been the IKF signing, which made absolutely no sense when you've got plenty of infield depth. At least some of that depth has a chance to develop into something greater. Putting that money into IKF, a well known featherweight hitter, when it could go into a relief pitcher or some other area of need was just bonkers. Even if they decide to move on from him, they can't because nobody will take that contract unless they get really lucky because some other team gets really unlucky.

The rest of the moves made sense or were reasonable gambles. It's understandable that all of the players they targeted were all asking for way too much, and a lot of people grossly underestimated the pay raises the rest of the team would get, so they did what they could (Turner was quite the nice value add) and hoped for the best. The results have been quite expected so far but you could understand why they would think the offence could improve.
With that in mind, someone definitely has to do something about the hitting coaching. There has to be some reason why all of these all star hitters are regressing.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That’s a fairly low bar to meet considering the talent he had at his disposal when he started to rebuild.
Not really. There are plenty of teams that have a high payroll that don't make the playoffs. A lot of the talent the team had/has was brought in by him.

He's not a bad GM. A bad GM would have not made the playoffs. Ross is a GM who doesn't have what it takes to take a good team to the next level.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not really. There are plenty of teams that have a high payroll that don't make the playoffs. A lot of the talent the team had/has was brought in by him.

He's not a bad GM. A bad GM would have not made the playoffs. Ross is a GM who doesn't have what it takes to take a good team to the next level.
I mean that’s what I’ve been saying all along.

Like I said many times, he’s the Kevin Cheveldayoff of MLB.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
That IKF signing was questionable at the time and most people said as much. Now, it looks like a disaster. $7.5M for a player who is very clearly a bench player is down right disgusting. And to think we have to suffer through that contract for another season after this one makes my want to vomit. This team is going to frustrate us all season long. Unless some magic happens there is no way this team makes the playoffs. They are a .500 ball club at best.

Reactions: rdogg and GreytWun

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I want to give the team 40 games to see if Atkins’ gambling on the same offence and questionable add ons of Turner and IKF before seriously asking for his head. That’ll be 200 games with these guys with the continuation from last season. But what we can glean up to this point:
-Schneider continues to be a shitty manager
-Kirk’s offence and more importantly his defence is atrocious
-Vladdy has not improved his approach to at-bats and remains an enigmatic star
-IKF comes as advertised…he’s a terrible hitter

Not off to good start…without Schneider’s heroics in the ninth with two outs, this team should be deservedly 3-7. The pitching has been very inconsistent. Not a good start.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

But that doesn't make him a bad GM nor did he do a bad job up until the Mariners series. He did very well up to that point. I was looking forward to a change in the offseason with Click likely taking over.

The one consistent mistake with the team since the new management group has taken over, they are slow to make necessary changes.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

It's actually a pretty apt comparison. Watching this team gives one a real groundhog day feeling. There is no mystery to what they are. It's simply a repeat of last season. but likely with worse pitching.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But that doesn't make him a bad GM nor did he do a bad job up until the Mariners series. He did very well up to that point. I was looking forward to a change in the offseason with Click likely taking over.

The one consistent mistake with the team since the new management group has taken over, they are slow to make necessary changes.
In absolute terms he might not be bad but relative to what this organization needed the last three years he hasn’t been great.

Its mind boggling that they didn’t change anyone significant in management or coaching after the season they just had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille