Speculation: 2024 UFA

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Besides Pearson and maybe Ylonen, not a lot of spot will open up front. I would keep them for our young forward prospects whoever looks ready during the course of the season. In two years, I would go for it for a big time ufa or two with all the expiring contracts and Petry's salary will be off the books as well.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Can't really move him when he doesn't play. Unless he comes back quickly, the soonest we can move him is this summer. Even if we do so, I don't see us aiming higher than a middle 6 C to play behind Dach.

I don't see it. He never showed the level of play Monahan did the last two years.
I didn't mean by the TDL as he's out for the season. Likely won't/can't be moved until next years TDL as teams won't trade for a player coming off his 2nd major, season ending surgery until they can see him play. So he's here for longer then I'd like but not much to do about it. Once they can move him, they need to dump him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I didn't mean by the TDL as he's out for the season. Likely won't/can't be moved until next years TDL as teams won't trade for a player coming off his 2nd major, season ending surgery until they can see him play. So he's here for longer then I'd like but not much to do about it. Once they can move him, they need to dump him.

I agree, but this thread is about 2024 UFA, so Dvorak is still going to be on the team, which mean we don't need to get a C this summer unless it's in preparation for trading Dvorak (in which case said C will play wing for a while).

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave a shot to Beck/Mysak after Dvorak is traded at 2025 TDL either.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Depending on how our defense grows next year, this team is borderline contenders with Stamkos as 2C
Contenders to sneak into the playoffs ?

Stamkos is PP-merching like crazy this season. You rarely see PPG players with not too far from twice the points on the PP than at 5v5, yet Stamkos is doing just that. Monahan outproduced Stamkos at 5v5, just for comparison - not saying Monahan is better there.

He wouldn't have that production without Kucherov/Point/Hedman. He'd probably finish with around 50-60 points at best if he signed with us.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Depending on how our defense grows next year, this team is borderline contenders with Stamkos as 2C
I see it differently.

But if we added both Monahan and Stamkis, that would help a lot.

My focus is on shedding vets like Armia and Dvo in the offseason and give ice time to Ylonen, RHP, Roy, and maybe Heineman.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I don't think they want to go UFA, they would for a top line player but I don't think they'd go for that Okposo or Ladd tier.
Yeah I agree, I’m sure they’d go for it if there was a 28 yo elite forward available who they’d feel comfortable signing to a long term deal and who’d be a key contributor during our competitive window, but there’s no such player available this year.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
The crop of UFAs available is crap. A terrible year to have money to burn.
Expect any key additions to come from trades. That said, the increase in the cap creates less pressure for teams to unload players in the summer...the time is now for that - before the trade deadline.
It's a year to take a bunch of fliers on 1 year deals. Flip them for assets at the TDL. Depending what KH does at the deadline we might have quite a few openings next year that can buy us some more draft capital.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As I mentioned in another thread, target a guy like Trenin.

Normally you wouldn't, but I'd give him a 5 year deal at about 2.5-3 mill per. Yeah, that is a lot, but he's a really nice depth player. Size, physicality, pker, can score. He's Russian, so it gives some familiarity for when the Habs trade to bring over their Russian prospects, possibly like a player like Demidov.

Dakota Joshua is having himself a season and the contract would like be 5, or 6 years at 4 mill per. Too much and too risky there, but if it isn't I'd consider him, too.

John Hayden - guy can produce in the AHL, he's tough and can be a solid fill in option for the Habs.

I think there's a chance he's either not tendered a QO, or he's open to be traded, but I hope the Habs look at Sokolov for the AHL. A Russian there who can score, big boi, help potential future Russians that the Habs bring over. Slight chance he becomes something.

Matt Dumba - if he's looking for a 1 year deal. Habs get him and then flip him at the deadline.

Yeah, not a whole lot going on for signings.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Toffoli I remember he had good chemistry with Suzuki/Caufield the year we got to Finals. some of best hockey that line has played.

I would offer a short term contract to Toffoli. He's 35 goals and can flip at deadline for a first. Maybe more as on short term deal Habs in position to retain.

Jul 6, 2016
Jonathan Marchesseault. The guy never give up and scores big goals.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We lost a good vet in Monahan . Was playing good hockey at 2C

That being said , S Stamkos is the target the summer to replace Monahan ?

Let’s say he signs a 2y deal at 7m$ per year.

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Newhook Stamkos Dach
Sign the guy who whined about the scrutiny in Montreal.
Apparently our City gives him the Heebie-Jeebies.

PASS

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sign the guy who whined about the scrutiny in Montreal.
Apparently our City gives him the Heebie-Jeebies.

PASS
After playing the past 15+ years in Florida I doubt very much he ever plays anywhere but somewhere in the south.

Reactions: Rapala

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Newhook Stamkos Dach
Stamkos ain't coming here. The Leafs will pull a fast one à la Tavares.

Toffoli I remember he had good chemistry with Suzuki/Caufield the year we got to Finals. some of best hockey that line has played.

I would offer a short term contract to Toffoli. He's 35 goals and can flip at deadline for a first. Maybe more as on short term deal Habs in position to retain.
Doubt he re-signs in Mtl. He has exploded offensively and will get above 7 mil. elsewhere.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'd be shocked if Stamkos doesn't play out his career in Tampa.
That requires Tampa to re-sign him and Tampa doesn't appear in any urgency to extend him, something they could have done since January 2023...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
That requires Tampa to re-sign him and Tampa doesn't appear in any urgency to extend him, something they could have done since January 2023...
There was no reason, from a club perspective, to do so before getting an idea what next year's cap would be.

They have $73.32 million committed to 16 players currently on the roster. They have 5 pending UFA players making a combined $11.596 million (Stamkos, Motte, Barre-Boulet, Fleury, De Haan). That's $84.916 million of they all take the same salary. The cap is slated to go to $87.675 million. There's room to give Stamkos a bump on a short-term deal. The rest are league minimum players - which remains unchanged at 775k.

Hopefully that's enough logic for the "...".

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If we can offload any of Anderson, Dvorak or Armia, I think Dakota Joshua would be an interesting bottom 6 target...

Having a career best year in Van. Big, good skater, hard hitter, good on PK... Basically a better and cheaper version of what Anderson is

3-4yrs at ~3M$ likely gets us in the running

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Newhook Stamkos Dach

Well I can guarantee you stamkos isn't happening.

Dach will be filling "2C" next year

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

He won't sign a 1 year deal to be moved again.

Youre locking him in for probavly 4 years. He's a good vet to sign, so I wouldn't be opposed.
Jonathan Marchesseault. The guy never give up and scores big goals.
He's a good vet, like Toffoli. He's 33, so the contract would have to be 3 years, maybe 4 if the AAV comes down, but if he wants 5, or something like that at a high AAV he can kick rocks.

That said, I can't imagine either is on the Habs radar. I have to imagine their good vet they bring back is Monahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00