Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If Avs can't terminate Nuke's contract for whatever reason, what's stopping their fixer from dangling certain substances in front of his face after he returns until he is encouraged to enter Phase 4, which means one-year suspension and no guaranteed reinstatement?

Aside from morality of course.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Will we get straight to work on termination of the contract? Since the suspension rolls into next season, we can't just sign other players? We'll have to trade out a player or two just to allow that 10% overage..

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Will we get straight to work on termination of the contract? Since the suspension rolls into next season, we can't just sign other players? We'll have to trade out a player or two just to allow that 10% overage..

He doesn't count against the cap while suspended.

In some ways it made the summer easier to maneuver quite frankly. Kicks the can down the road at least, if they wanted to go that route.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If Avs can't terminate Nuke's contract for whatever reason, what's stopping their fixer from dangling certain substances in front of his face after he returns until he is encouraged to enter Phase 4, which means one-year suspension and no guaranteed reinstatement?

Aside from morality of course.
I honestly think this is the play. Don't terminate and tie up 2-3 million. Try rehabilitate him - if he comes back and shows well you have a star level player for 6 million/year. If he f***s up again you can likely get rid of the cap hit completely.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

In some ways it made the summer easier to maneuver quite frankly. Kicks the can down the road at least, if they wanted to go that route.
I just wonder how this works out technically. Didn't Girard and Nuke cost against our cap when they were out during the season, but we had the option of placing them on LTIR (which we didn't do)? If the situation is the same and by "not counting against the cap" the insiders are talking about LTIR, we are still f***ed.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I honestly think this is the play. Don't terminate and tie up 2-3 million. Try rehabilitate him - if he comes back and shows well you have a star level player for 6 million/year. If he f***s up again you can likely get rid of the cap hit completely.

You can't bring this piece of shit back again.

That is completely slapping every player in the dressing room in the face. Those guys are DISGUSTED with him.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I've been Behren's biggest cheerleader on here. I think he's great prospect, but that doesn't make him a guy the moves the needle for a franchise. At his best, he's a steadier Girard. That's the absolute best you'll get out of him. That's a good piece to have, but doesn't change the trajectory of the org.
Yo have a high opinion of your eye.

Reactions: Alienblood

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Avs pro scouts need to clutch one out. Will probably have a little money to play with, need to find a top six winger in the offseason.

Guentzal would be an excellent get imo. Not sure he'd want to come out west, but he's a gamer and plays in our system nicely. His game I think will age better the next few years before falling off a cliff.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just wonder how this works out technically. Didn't Girard and Nuke cost against our cap when they were out during the season, but we had the option of placing them on LTIR (which we didn't do)? If the situation is the same and by "not counting against the cap" the insiders are talking about LTIR, we are still f***ed.

Very different situation.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
You can't bring this piece of shit back again.

That is completely slapping every player in the dressing room in the face. Those guys are DISGUSTED with him.
I get that part of it but it's also the best long term for the franchise. 2-3 mill in dead cap will hand cuff this team even more than it already is.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Ain't nobody got time for that when you are doing fantasy GM things! Reminds me of this thread on reddit, which might or might not have been posted ironically (I guess this one is pasta, the original got deletad at some point lol):

Legit the only subreddit worth browsing. nhlcirclejerk is getting there though

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

Doesn't his suspension end in November, so we either need to have room left after off season deals or he just needs to be kept ltir/termination

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Ain't nobody got time for that when you are doing fantasy GM things! Reminds me of this thread on reddit, which might or might not have been posted ironically (I guess this one is pasta, the original got deletad at some point lol):

This is pretty crazy stuff

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Nuke does not count against the cap until/if he returns.
With each stage, the scrutiny/bar is higher to be reinstated.
I don't think Nuke plays at all in 2024-25 if ever.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Nuke does not count against the cap until/if he returns.
With each stage, the scrutiny/bar is higher to be reinstated.
I don't think Nuke plays at all in 2024-25 if ever.
Stage 3 he’s eligible to be reinstated in 6 months if he successfully completes the program. How can you keep him out when he’s ready to come back? They can healthy scratch him but will have his cap hit, or they somehow have to trade him if they can find a team willing to give Val another chance

Reactions: Forceberg

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Stage 3 he’s eligible to be reinstated in 6 months if he successfully completes the program. How can you keep him out when he’s ready to come back?
That’s a huge if. Unless they’re keeping him in inpatient rehab for 6 months (that seems unlikely) the odds are most likely stronger in favour of him violating the treatment plan and ending up in stage 4 than making a return

I know someone who was in and out of rehab including an egregious amount of money being spent on sending them to a 15 month inpatient program in the US as a teenager (apparently had to be 18 in Canada at the time). They’re still not clean to the tune of losing custody of their kid to a relative and not getting them back years later. You really have to want to get better to make it happen and lots of people just do not want it badly enough to ever recover

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
he has to complete it.
Yeah, he already did it once, he probably will do it again meaning complete the program, because he knows he can lose a lot of money if he screws up again and then be eligible for contract termination which is in stage 4 or 5?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Yeah, he already did it once, he probably will do it again meaning complete the program, because he knows he can lose a lot of money if he screws up again and then be eligible for contract termination
understood,
clean for a month vs half a year is a huge difference that I'm not sure he's shown he could muster.
I'd love to be wrong though and hope he can stay clean if that is what he truly wants.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
That’s a huge if. Unless they’re keeping him in inpatient rehab for 6 months (that seems unlikely) the odds are most likely stronger in favour of him violating the treatment plan and ending up in stage 4 than making a return

I know someone who was in and out of rehab including an egregious amount of money being spent on sending them to a 15 month inpatient program in the US as a teenager (apparently had to be 18 in Canada at the time). They’re still not clean to the tune of losing custody of their kid to a relative and not getting them back years later. You really have to want to get better to make it happen and lots of people just do not want it badly enough to ever recover
My brother in law went to rehab 4 times and it didn't do anything for him. Prison for 3 years seemed to have done the trick so far though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad