Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There is likely a very real realization happening that all of us need to come to terms with... and that is that the window is likely closed. The Avs spent a lot more good assets this deadline to contend. The pool is like a SoCal pool under 2040 water restrictions. There are very little future assets to fix it. The Avs are a budget team... not meaning that they can't spend, but that they need gate revenue to be a team that spends. To keep gate revenue, you need your stars and franchise players. You need them to market, bring in casual fans, keep the bad PR to a minimum, etc etc.

What does this lead to? Re-signing Rants to a big deal. Accepting that you're not a contending team so you don't make the big moves... but you make just enough moves to stay in the playoffs and get a round or two of revenue. MacK, Rants, and Makar spend their next 7-10 years withering on the vine of a 1st or 2nd round exit until they are allowed to sunset and have their jerseys retired here. At that point, the Avs likely spend the next decade trying to find a core that works that can be made for another run at the Cup. It likely fails a time or two before getting it right.

It is Fing bleak, but this idea that they'll scorch earth and re-tool quickly to maintain this core's chances at another Cup is just slim to none. Settle in, enjoy some banter, and just hope we catch lightning in a bottle.

MildAvaholic

Jan 7, 2007
Houston, Texas
There is likely a very real realization happening that all of us need to come to terms with... and that is that the window is likely closed. The Avs spent a lot more good assets this deadline to contend. The pool is like a SoCal pool under 2040 water restrictions. There are very little future assets to fix it. The Avs are a budget team... not meaning that they can't spend, but that they need gate revenue to be a team that spends. To keep gate revenue, you need your stars and franchise players. You need them to market, bring in casual fans, keep the bad PR to a minimum, etc etc.

What does this lead to? Re-signing Rants to a big deal. Accepting that you're not a contending team so you don't make the big moves... but you make just enough moves to stay in the playoffs and get a round or two of revenue. MacK, Rants, and Makar spend their next 7-10 years withering on the vine of a 1st or 2nd round exit until they are allowed to sunset and have their jerseys retired here. At that point, the Avs likely spend the next decade trying to find a core that works that can be made for another run at the Cup. It likely fails a time or two before getting it right.

It is Fing bleak, but this idea that they'll scorch earth and re-tool quickly to maintain this core's chances at another Cup is just slim to none. Settle in, enjoy some banter, and just hope we catch lightning in a bottle.
Is this slang for coke? Asking for a friend...:sarcasm:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

I do not expect them to make the right decisions. Likely happy to make playoffs and be a 1st or 2nd round exit the next 3-5 ish years then fade into obscurity for 10+ years. Bleak indeed. Maybe just maybe this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and they realize this roster needs a major overhaul. Doing so this offseason would be the time to.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not going to focus on details, but I have a hard time saying "the window is closed". I mean just look at who we are playing. Dallas went to the cup final, then didn't even make the playoffs. Now they seem strong as ever. There is work to be done, but saying the window is closed is so far-fetched.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm not going to focus on details, but I have a hard time saying "the window is closed". I mean just look at who we are playing. Dallas went to the cup final, then didn't even make the playoffs. Now they seem strong as ever. There is work to be done, but saying the window is closed is so far-fetched.
Dallas drafts better than we do. Their 2017 draft alone has accelerated their process.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
This teams drafting would have to get a whole lot better for that to happen. Since that bubble run they’ve had Hintz turn into a first line centre and all of Johnston, Harley, Robertson, Stankoven and Otter join the team from their own draft picks

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Dallas is arguably the best drafting team in the league. The teams that can re-tool on the fly are typically those teams. Even the most positive person about the Avs' drafting has to admit they are nowhere near that tier of drafting. Even if you assume that drafting started last year, we are talking 2027 or 2028 to having the impact needed. The current core guys (sans Makar) will be entering their mid 30s.

The most likely case forward is for the Avs to hold on as long as they can with a nickel and dime approach to stay in the playoffs.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Dallas drafts better than we do. Their 2017 draft alone has accelerated their process.
Sure they do. We sign better free agents and make better trades.

I didn't say it would be easy. But I'm getting a little fatigued by the word "cup window" in general. There have been many teams in this league during the cap era that either had multiple chances for a cup, or had a very extended "window". As long as you have certain core players, and they perform well for their contracts, you have a chance to build around them.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This teams drafting would have to get a whole lot better for that to happen. Since that bubble run they’ve had Hintz turn into a first line centre and all of Johnston, Harley, Robertson, Stankoven and Otter join the team from their own draft picks
There is some hope with Ritchie, Behren, Gulyev and Kovalenko.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There is some hope with Ritchie, Behren, Gulyev and Kovalenko.
A 2nd liner, two middle pairing defensemen and a guy back in Russia within a couple years.. I wouldn't call that hope. Even if you do though, that's simply not close to enough to overcome what the future is.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't get the feel that Mikko is an unreplaceable gate draw as long as Nate and Cale are on the squad. He's a Kaminski/Lemieux type of the Sakic-Forsberg years IMO.

Hejduk I feel was equally popular with the fans and wasn't a guy who you "had to go see" even though he was often one of the few bright spots in those darker years.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
None, unless Mikko is moved. As it stands right now, Nuke and Landy will both count against the cap during next season. That money is not available. Of course things might happen with Nuke, who knows maybe a trade even. But we are not going to have the money available from Nuke unless something changes dramatically in the process, as in a trade, Nuke voids the contract himself and goes back to Russia, or something else comes up that allows the Avs to terminate the deal.
I think the Avs find a way out of the Nuke deal and Landeskog goes to retirement.

Reactions: Frenchy

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
After the deadline I have a little faith the Avs will move on from Rantanen. CMAC has to see the issue and know what's coming. I hope the Avs can pull off a bit of a mid contention rebuild/re-tool. Writing is on the wall, they won't win another with Rantanen. Get a ransom for him from someone, give your self some space. Get some dope assets and keep some of the depth acquired and add to that. Build a deeper better team. Also get some help on the 2nd and 3rd pairings. I'm fine with goaltending going into next year at least at this point.

There are zero teams that would trade for Nuke right now. Buyout, termination or stick through it are the only options.
as much as a dick I'm sure someone will call me, you have to just terminate the contract.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think the Avs find a way out of the Nuke deal and Landeskog goes to retirement.
The first part, I agree. The second, nah. Landeskog will not retire. Retirement is an official transaction, and voids your contract if you have one. That will not happen. He might never play again, but he's not retiring. There's a distinction.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You've been wrong about Behrens before.

Besides not sure we need a 1st pair Dman with Makar and Toews around.
I've been Behren's biggest cheerleader on here. I think he's great prospect, but that doesn't make him a guy the moves the needle for a franchise. At his best, he's a steadier Girard. That's the absolute best you'll get out of him. That's a good piece to have, but doesn't change the trajectory of the org.

Reactions: Murzu

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Does the Byram for Mitts trade give any hope that the Avs front office will be aggressive going forward?
I am hopeful. Although C-Mac basically gave Rants the stamp of approval. Moving Rantanen is the only way I can see this franchise changing it's dire course unless they nail some draft picks, win some real lopsided trades, or make killer signings. Not likely.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

The blues did!

Reactions: henchman21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad