WC: 2024 Team USA

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How many opportunities has Guentzel had to say "no"? He's been in the Playoffs every year of his career besides last.
He didn't come last year. And never for any 1st round eliminations especially back to back seasons before 22-23. Smaller guy. Skilled guy. Might be a bit unfair to say he shouldn't make it but rewarding some guys who have shown up over some who haven't is likely going to happen. Not against him on the team but wouldn't lose any sleep if he was kept off considering the depth here.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He didn't come last year. And never for any 1st round eliminations especially back to back seasons before 22-23. Smaller guy. Skilled guy. Might be a bit unfair to say he shouldn't make it but rewarding some guys who have shown up over some who haven't is likely going to happen. Not against him on the team but wouldn't lose any sleep if he was kept off considering the depth here.
Yeah it’s a bit crowded for his role so he’s probably missing the cut, but he’s got some time to make his case.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Yeah, we have a lot of really good smaller forwards but I think we need to make sure we aren't over reliant on them. I think USA Hockey will have to balance loyalty and those that have come before like Kane, Gaudreau, Debrincat vs skill of Keller, Boeser, Guentzel who haven't shown up in years here.

Plus the unknown of the talented kids we have and what can happen in under 2 years time. Gauthier could be a beast next year. Beniers could put it together like Jack Hughes did in his 3rd season. Logan Cooley could be dominant...a lot of unknowns but if I even wanted to take a stab at the team of rewarding loyalty with talent. This would be my squad right now.

M. Tkachuk - Matthews - J. Hughes
Connor - Miller - Kane
B. Tkachuk - Eichel - Robertson
Boldy - Larkin - T. Thompson
Gaudreau/Boeser

Q. Hughes - Fox
Werenski - McAvoy
Slavin - Sanderson
L. Hughes - S. Jones

Hellboy
Oettinger
Demko

John Carlson could be there over Jones. Same as Faber. But the Hawks will be better next year and he will have some talent around him, he has shown up numerous times that has to count for something.

Swayman could make the goalies but still hasn't been true #1 with that split he has with Ulmark.

Forwards have a dozen plus names you can easily add as options. Tage Thompson has had a down year plus but has come multiple times prior...if he bounces back next year his size and versatility have to be there on this roster.

Boeser and his rebound year has to be looked closely at.

Guentzel always puts up points but not sure he should make it over others who have shown up for USA Hockey.

Same for Keller. Same for Trocheck.

Debrincat and Caufield both can be spark plug snipers out there, but we have plenty of options that can score the same and be better all around.

Zegras and Beniers...next year should be big years for both...
That is some serious depth. So glad Burke, Shero and Poile aren't around to eff it up!

I feel much better about Guerin and Drury being at the helm.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If Guerin is to be taken at his word, then we may have a few "shocks" for the next best on best tournaments. For instance, a guy like Boldy could very well bump someone like Keller and we may be better for it anyway. I also think there is a great chance we see Gaudreau on the Four Nations squad.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
M. Tkachuk - Matthews - J. Hughes
Connor - Miller - Kane
B. Tkachuk - Eichel - Robertson
Boldy - Larkin - T. Thompson
Gaudreau/Boeser
I know Gaudreau's numbers don't look all that impressive, but people have to remember how little help he has in Columbus (not to mention a rookie coach who wasn't even supposed to be the coach). And he still finished 2nd among LWs in 5v5 primary assists.

After adjusting to the new coach and new (extremely conservative) system, he had 53 points in his last 62 games, a 70 point pace. In that span, his 30 primary assists was 3 times higher than the next Jacket forward - he's literally the only guy on that team who can consistently setup dangerous opportunities for his teammates, so he's got nobody to set him up.

There's no way he should be left out of the top 6. This is like back in 2021 when people were leaving him off of our 2022 Olympic roster because his point totals weren't great while carrying around a broken Sean Monahan in a terrible offensive system. I kept trying to tell people that if he had any talent to play with, he'd be a legit Art Ross contender, but nobody was buying it.

Then he was finally freed from Monahan and put on a line with actual talented players, and finished 2nd in league scoring in route to putting up arguably the most dominant ES season we'd seen in 30 years. While playing excellent defensively - Sutter said he was the team's best checking forward.

Could you imagine how silly USA would have looked had they left Gaudreau off that Olympic roster?

He's still the very much the dominant all around player he was 2 years ago, you can see flashes of it in Columbus. The only thing that has changed is the players around him.

Gaudreau - Matthews - M Tkachuk
Connor - Eichel - Robertson
B Tkachuk - Hughes - Thompson
Miller - Larkin - Keller
Guentzel, Boldy, Kane

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know Gaudreau's numbers don't look all that impressive, but people have to remember how little help he has in Columbus (not to mention a rookie coach who wasn't even supposed to be the coach). And he still finished 2nd among LWs in 5v5 primary assists.

After adjusting to the new coach and new (extremely conservative) system, he had 53 points in his last 62 games, a 70 point pace. In that span, his 30 primary assists was 3 times higher than the next Jacket forward - he's literally the only guy on that team who can consistently setup dangerous opportunities for his teammates, so he's got nobody to set him up.

There's no way he should be left out of the top 6. This is like back in 2021 when people were leaving him off of our 2022 Olympic roster because his point totals weren't great while carrying around a broken Sean Monahan in a terrible offensive system. I kept trying to tell people that if he had any talent to play with, he'd be a legit Art Ross contender, but nobody was buying it.

Then he was finally freed from Monahan and put on a line with actual talented players, and finished 2nd in league scoring in route to putting up arguably the most dominant ES season we'd seen in 30 years. While playing excellent defensively - Sutter said he was the team's best checking forward.

Could you imagine how silly USA would have looked had they left Gaudreau off that Olympic roster?

He's still the very much the dominant all around player he was 2 years ago, you can see flashes of it in Columbus. The only thing that has changed is the players around him.

Gaudreau - Matthews - M Tkachuk
Connor - Eichel - Robertson
B Tkachuk - Hughes - Thompson
Miller - Larkin - Keller
Guentzel, Boldy, Kane
Totally understand with Gaudreau. He hasn't had any support the past year plus. He makes my Olympic team right now for sure plus his loyalty matters.

For me I was just trying to balance lines with size and skill. The gap has closed however between Gaudreau and other US wingers. There are some very talented US players that have size and physicality needed.

Kane is still the goat. The dude missed an entire camp,came off a nasty surgery and still put up nearly a damn ppg. He was in our top 10 ppg players this year lmao..I cant stress how insane that is....He is still elite and a lock in the top 6. I almost feel you are way undervaluing Kane and what he can still do out there.

Can this team have all of Kane, Gaudreau and Hughes as top 6 forwards? Sure, as long as the rest of the team has the other traits needed.

I see a lot of bigger skilled guys that would make up the rest of the team so having those 3 as smaller skilled forwards wouldn't be an issue at all. I am a skill first believer anyway...we are just finally blessed with a lot of really great options now for all positions regardless of their size.

This team will be very hard to pick a best of, I don't envy Guerin and crew at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Alex Vlasic just signed a 6-year, $27.6 million contract extension. It's great to see what kind of leap he has taken in the past year. One of those players who was talked about a lot and then in the end couldn't even make the WJC team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Alex Vlasic just signed a 6-year, $27.6 million contract extension. It's great to see what kind of leap he has taken in the past year. One of those players who was talked about a lot and then in the end couldn't even make the WJC team.

I hated his game so much with the NTDP and BU. I'm pretty surprised he finally put it together

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Worked really hard on his skating and has kept it very simple out there. His decision making is solid. Kid has come a long way but the Hawks nabbed a good one for sure

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
  • Matt Boldy (Forward)
  • Cole Caufield (Forward)
  • Joel Farabee (Forward)
  • Johnny Gaudreau (Forward)
  • Luke Kunin (Forward)
  • Dylan Larkin (Forward)
  • Shane Pinto (Forward)
  • Brady Tkachuk (Forward)
  • Trevor Zegras (Forward)
  • Luke Hughes (Defenseman)
  • Seth Jones (Defenseman)
  • Jake Sanderson (Defenseman)
  • Alex Vlasic (Defenseman)
  • Zach Werenski (Defenseman)
  • Alex Lyon (Goaltender)
  • Unless they add more talent, especially at goalie, they're not winning.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He wasn’t at WJC because of BU Covid protocol. Knocked them all out of it.

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Nelson, Lee and Palmieri. Make it happen.

Switzerland banned Lian Bischel for two years after refusing to play for the national team. I like this a lot.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think it's a bit unfair to pressure players eliminated in Round 1 to come over. With expansion, more teams are missing the postseason. Those guys are just straight up resting while the Round 1 guys are out there killing themselves now. I don't view those as remotely comparable situations if someone declines.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think it's a bit unfair to pressure players eliminated in Round 1 to come over. With expansion, more teams are missing the postseason. Those guys are just straight up resting while the Round 1 guys are out there killing themselves now. I don't view those as remotely comparable situations if someone declines.
Depends on the series honestly. But the good thing is many of the names that could be eliminated next week are players that have shown up here before or have family playing this year.

Nelson and Lee been here before like SanDog said. Solid chance Nelson would come as he has most realistic chance for a roster spot at 4 nations.

Also Swayman and McAvoy both been here before. Same with Quinn Hughes with his bro playing this year.

Jason Robertson has come as well..so potentially 1 or 2 of those names could show up and I wouldn't be shocked. Any of them are massive adds..

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

I agree with you. There is also much less time to make a decision, which can be difficult after a disappointment. Sometimes you see that some European players have said that they are avalable if they are eliminated. In many ways, I don't like this either, because everyone has to be fully focused to succeed in the playoffs. That's what they get paid for.

I wrote about this earlier in this thread. USA Hockey should make a policy that the team is made up of players who don't make the playoffs. Commitment is also expected from them. If you make it to the playoffs, you don't have to think about this tournament.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad