WC: 2024 Team USA

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
One of the primary failures of the NTDP has been its inability to build lasting passion and pride for representing USAH. It's done a great job at the U20 and below levels, but that's not enough for the amount of resources they put into a small group of players.

If his injuries were a concern, he shouldn't have kept playing the meaningless NHL games after his team was eliminated from playoff contention.

Every player has nagging issues at the end of the year. He simply doesn't want to show up to the WC.

Yeah, hard to argue with any of that. But I can also see the other side of the argument.

<speculation>
He played all 82 games as a rookie, with over 25 minutes TOI (top 7 in NHL). That's a load for any player, let alone a rookie. And knowing that he's proudly represented the USA in international competition before (WJC and Olympics), and seems like a guy that would jump at the opportunity to do so again, maybe he and the Wild org BOTH thought it would be a good idea to sit this one out so he can heal up for next season.
</speculation>

If he continues on his trajectory, he will be a lock for the Olympics.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
USA Hockey needs to start adding this in fine print to their USNDP contracts they hand out:

"If after 1 or 2 years of playing for the best junior program on the planet, the USNDP, you make it to the NHL, you by choice decline invitations to represent this country at the World Championships, we will seek to recoup damages plus interest for the amount of shit we gave you that propelled you to live a life millions could only dream of"..."finishing a bullshit college degree which we all know doesn't take 6 plus years to complete (also known as the Umberger rule) also doesn't count and damages will be sought after"..

"Don't be this dick"...

If they could add this....maybe it would help some..lol

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, hard to argue with any of that. But I can also see the other side of the argument.

<speculation>He played all 82 games as a rookie, with over 25 minutes TOI (top 7 in NHL). That's a load for any player, let alone a rookie. And knowing that he's proudly represented the USA in international competition before, and seems like a guy that would jump at the opportunity to do so again, maybe he and the Wild org BOTH thought it would be a good idea to sit this one out so he can heal up for next season. </speculation>

If he continues on his trajectory, he will be a lock for the Olympics.

Representing your country when you're a junior player versus a senior player is different. It's extremely rare for a junior player to decline an international tournament roster spot. Faber or others like him don't need to be congratulated for choosing to accept NTDP and WJC invites; it's a signal to their quality as a hockey player, not to their passion for the program.

Since going professional Faber has been available for 2 straight World Championships and couldn't have cared less about either opportunity.

As a player, his trajectory most definitely puts him on track to make the best-of teams. I would select him for them if those tournaments were tomorrow. But his apathy 100% should be a consideration when the time comes to choose the roster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Troy Terry and Cam Fowler go to the Bahamas to learn pickeball.
Troy terry and fowler are addition by subtraction tbh... you dont want them this year.

They both need to stay home and think about what theyve done this year and/or didnt do

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Lots of presumptions of how a player's body is feeling after an 82 game NHL season (when he was used to playing 35 game college seasons the years prior). He doesn't need a setback in exhibition competition and have that impact his offseason training heading into a contract year. Hopefully Faber can make it to future ones. These aren't indictees under trial, they don't need to justify every potential injury for a peanut gallery to decide who is "hurt enough" or to make value determinations about late NHL regular season games vs. World Championship games.

Reactions: montreal

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Lots of presumptions of how a player's body is feeling after an 82 game NHL season (when he was used to playing 35 game college seasons the years prior). He doesn't need a setback in exhibition competition and have that impact his offseason training heading into a contract year. Hopefully Faber can make it to future ones. These aren't indictees under trial, they don't need to justify every potential injury for a peanut gallery to decide who is "hurt enough" or to make value determinations about late NHL regular season games vs. World Championship games.

I know, it's crazy that people are just using Faber's own words.

Faber knows he has a spot as long as his game doesn't go to shit next year.

Most likely. And I'm sure Guerin didn't say anything to make him think otherwise, either.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The tournament starts in about 20 days. He played every game of the season (kudos to him truly mean that), but is banged up and can't play hockey in 2-3 weeks? These are the excuses they want the "peanut gallery" to believe.

But many of us have heard this same shit show song and dance before. Sorry, but I don't buy that a player like him, in prime age and shape can't take 2 weeks off to rest up and get back on the ice...these guys train year round anyway..he simply doesn't give a shit and his name should be removed from any discussion about best on best competition until he shows up here.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Representing your country when you're a junior player versus a senior player is different. It's extremely rare for a junior player to decline an international tournament roster spot. Faber or others like him don't need to be congratulated for choosing to accept NTDP and WJC invites; it's a signal to their quality as a hockey player, not to their passion for the program.

Since going professional Faber has been available for 2 straight World Championships and couldn't have cared less about either opportunity.

As a player, his trajectory most definitely puts him on track to make the best-of teams. I would select him for them if those tournaments were tomorrow. But his apathy 100% should be a consideration when the time comes to choose the roster.

He did play in the last Olympics.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The only words we have appear to come from Joe Smith recounting what he is aware of Faber discussing with Guerin and related to "a few injuries he wants to focus on getting healed up"

Are there some other words out there?

Or you could just go watch Faber's exit interview which is the basis for the reports that are accurate reflections of what Faber said.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The tournament starts in about 20 days. He played every game of the season (kudos to him truly mean that), but is banged up and can't play hockey in 2-3 weeks? These are the excuses they want the "peanut gallery" to believe.

But many of us have heard this same shit show song and dance before. Sorry, but I don't buy that a player like him, in prime age and shape can't take 2 weeks off to rest up and get back on the ice...these guys train year round anyway..he simply doesn't give a shit and his name should be removed from any discussion about best on best competition until he shows up here.
*could* and *should* are two very different things. These aren't the Stanley Cup Playoffs and players won't treat them the same.

You can go about removing from Olympic consideration, and then I'm sure in two years when Seth Jones is on the roster over him, there surely won't be people livid that the best roster isn't being chosen because of who showed up for the 2024 IIHF World Championships

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He did play in the last Olympics.

He was still in college hockey, he wasn't a senior player.

I'm sure not.

Hopefully putting him on the team without having having to play in the Worlds saves a million or so per year on the next contract.

And a great example why we should stop using NHL GMs for our international tournament teams.

Reactions: PWiz30

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

Was Faber even invited last year? I don’t even think he was considered an option considering he was in the playoffs and would have been a late add after elimination.

Dude took a beating all season in big minutes against the best in the NHL, not surprised he is very banged up, if the Wild had even a single capable RHD behind him in the org I bet he would have gotten time off.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Was Faber even invited last year? I don’t even think he was considered an option considering he was in the playoffs and would have been a late add after elimination.

Dude took a beating all season in big minutes against the best in the NHL, not surprised he is very banged up, if the Wild had even a single capable RHD behind him in the org I bet he would have gotten time off.

Almost assuredly. The Wild had already been eliminated for over a week before last year's roster was named and he would have certainly been preferred over most of the defenseman they added to the team.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
The players are interested about the fact that scouts follow them in junior tournaments. Then when it's just about representing USA Hockey, the majority couldn't be less interested. Of course, USA Hockey is partly responsible for this culture because they have been involved in creating it.

The problem with NHL GMs and coaches is that they are naturally biased towards their own team's players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Faber is a rookie and the defense will be stacked. The fact that Guerin is GM will probably get him on the team regardless, but he should be 50/50. Guerin should've told him he's not guaranteed anything, and if he wants a good chance to make the roster next year he has to play.

Such a weak excuse from a rookie. No rookie should ever be guaranteed a spot on a best on best American roster. We have too many stars for that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You can't artificially make guys care about this the same way as the Olympics. Nobody in the U.S. grows up watching it and it's always had the reputation of a "loser tournament" for players on eliminated teams, like the NIT in college basketball.

They'll go if they think it's fun, cool to wear a USA sweater and to give themselves a better look for the Olympics. But they'll never have a "passion" for this particular event and winning it will never make any player's bucket list.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You can't artificially make guys care about this the same way as the Olympics. Nobody in the U.S. grows up watching it and it's always had the reputation of a "loser tournament" for players on eliminated teams, like the NIT in college basketball.

They'll go if they think it's fun, cool to wear a USA sweater and to give themselves a better look for the Olympics. But they'll never have a "passion" for this particular event and winning it will never make any player's bucket list.

No one is saying Americans will care about this tournament like it's the Olympics. But they should care about representing their country and their willingness to do so at the less prestigious tournaments like the WC should matter when choosing players for the tournaments they do care more about like the Olympics.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

Agreed to an extant. This country has never cared about the World Championships, I don't expect that to flip overnight. The difference now is this is supposed to be step 1 to the Olympic roster, Guerin put it out publicly they are starting the process with this team. I expect guys to care about that.

Reactions: William H Bonney

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
*could* and *should* are two very different things. These aren't the Stanley Cup Playoffs and players won't treat them the same.

You can go about removing from Olympic consideration, and then I'm sure in two years when Seth Jones is on the roster over him, there surely won't be people livid that the best roster isn't being chosen because of who showed up for the 2024 IIHF World Championships
Is a spot down between Faber and Jones? And even if it was I would take the guy who has shown up multiple years here...wanna know why? Because that player gives a shit and when it is Olympic time I know in my heart we will get the best out of him versus someone who can only show up when it benefits them.

And this isn't on Faber alone. There are a number of players I am 100% fine with leaving home while taking "lesser" talents with heart. Keller being numero uno. Brady Tkachuk was on that list but here he is now...

"The name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back." Give me a group that believes that all damn day long...

Reactions: SK94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad