WJC: 2024 Team USA Roster Talk

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Fans have little idea how difficult an achievement winning this tourney actually is. Sure these guys are all elite players and have been for a number of years. The players' egos are all naturally big because you need a ton of self-belief just to get to this level, and NHL GMs/agents and scouts are in their ears, too. But you suddenly need to check part of that ego, and blend in, and that's hard when you've been the hero for most of your life.

Then there is the pressure - media and social media, coaches, teammates, friends and families. It can cook a young player very quickly if the mental toughness isn't there. These are teenagers, and they often don't always have the experience to reason through things as full adults do.

Then, some of them are asked to take on a different playing role than they are used to playing for the good of the team. Then they are asked to become a team quickly, some learning different hockey systems (and learning new opponents' playing styles) on a different size rink, Add in the dislocation that comes from overseas travel, time zones, different food, cultures, etc. Then you actually play the games - and at this age, more mistakes happen at a higher speed than you are used to playing. You need to build chemistry, trust new coaches, and flush those mistakes quickly.

That said, this winning experience will be with them forever, and all of them will grow from it.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I still remember opposing posters on here losing their shit when they first did this in 2010 as if it was something other than a team of kids harmlessly celebrating in their locker room. It was a rich example of the silliness of HF at times.
I wonder what hfboards would have thought about the Fleury machine gun celebration and subsequent events

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
2010 is the greatest wjc game and gold medal game I have ever seen with that final vs Canada....truly a back and forth nail biting bliss.... but the 2013 team is one of the best I have ever seen and possibly my favorite overall. I believe 9 CHL Americans on that team, unheard of still to this day....Gibson, Jones, Ghost, Trouba, Galchenyuk, J.T Miller, Johnny Hockey, Trochek, Murphy, McCabe, Hartman, Vesey, Kuraly...etc...etc...this team was freaking stacked. And of course, Grimaldi!

Note, after winning the gold medal, Jacob Trouba is the one who led the "Oh Mama" rally cry after the win....probably my favorite team from start to finish for this tournament...

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
If you could pick one and only one, what is y'alls favorite gold medal win since 2004???

Very interested to see what years get the most love...I know mine hands down....hint...OT vs Canada...dman scores with the rocket shot to send the Canadian crowd home in tears...

2017...beating Russia and Canada twice each, holy cow

Don't worry, the pessimism is still continually rewarded at the World Championships haha

Bronze or bust!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Reactions: AmericanDream

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
We just kicked your f***ing ass. One of the most awesome winning celebrations in all sports. It is also amazing how it has stayed through the years.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's Rutger. Howard has the game helmet on, Nazar to his left, Gauthier and then Rutger are to his right. You can see Rutger's position is the one yelling. They're in front of their stalls.
And now we know why USA hockey made sure to do everything in their power to have him here playing...clear leader on and off the ice, love that kid! Hopefully he doesn't turn us down for World Championships once he gets that first contract like so many have...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very glad this group finally came through when it mattered after they couldn't at the U18 Worlds. It was the exact same thing the 2001 NTDP team did in the World Juniors after they didn't win the U18 Worlds. I still am a little bummed we don't have the full compliment of teams and this was arguably the weakest tournament ever, which makes our win less impressive, but we still might've been the best team had the circumstances been different. This group did very well. Won every game in the regular and pre-tournament. Played every one of the better teams also. We beat all of them. Not our fault about all that other stuff.

I think what we saw throughout the tournament was that the defense held up well enough, the offense was the deepest and best of any of the teams, and so was the goaltending. The lack of size and physicality didn't matter that much. The Finn's and Czech's, and even a little bit the Swedes, gave us fair fights because they knew that's how to play against us, but each team we had an answer. I think Starman was actually right, despite some of his other ridiculous comments, in saying that we won because we had the best players. We can try to find all these cliches, but I think the easiest explanation is that when it mattered we had more players who can go make a play to win a game.

The forward lines were spotty all tournament. I don't know that any of the lines mixed that well together throughout. The first line was a mess. The second line had the most good moments, but had their quiet games too, and ordinarily would not be a line that should've been put together. The BC line had some moments, but also struggled defensively and had their quiet games too. The fourth line didn't work. Despite all that, we got the needed scoring because we had the individuals. Ike Howard came up huge in this final. He had a great tournament. The BC line too was tremendous in the final. Quinn Finley deserves a shoutout as the only one who was playing well on the fourth line.

Defense also stepped up big in that final. That was their best game of the tournament. Fortsecue was bad the first half of the game. That first goal was at least partially his fault and he took a stupid penalty. But we knew him not being a disaster was probably the best we could've expected this year, and he didn't lose it for us. Had a nice pass to redeem himself for one of the Howard goals. Rinzel didn't lose it for us either in this game. He bounced back, and didn't look out of place, although his tournament was disappointing. The top 4 was great in this final. This was supposed to be a weakness, but they were better than the Swedish defense. Hutson played his best game in the final. Defensively he might've been the best player on the ice, which is incredible to say. How about him taking on that Swedish player and knocking him to the ice in a fight? That was great. Casey was very good the last few games. Chesley was very good throughout. Buium for a draft-eligible had a very good tournament.

And Augustine was rock solid all tournament. A joke he didn't get goalie of the tournament. Had much better overall numbers than the Swedish kid, and outplayed him in the final. Good redemption for him from two years ago, but now we must put these narratives behind that he can't play well when it matters. He's done so two tournaments in a row with the U18's and now U20's. It's not unusual that players as underagers, especially goaltenders, struggle in these tournaments. He had some spotty moments in those tournaments, but also a lot of good moments. It was easy to see it was probably the inconsistency of a young goaltender. Fowler as the back-up is joke level depth. He didn't play as well as he can, but he wasn't that bad, and provided good enough back-up goaltending.

Carle did a good job with the coaching. Didn't do anything too stupid that would've lost us the tournament. This team was probably too good to be beat. They would have to beat themselves, and a big way that can happen is coaching, but to his credit he didn't mess that up. I don't like the idea of bringing a coach back in back to back years. We saw it didn't work with Leaman, but he's earned another shot, if he wants it. Maybe give him the home World Juniors in 2026.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Perreault led all US players with 7 points once the three knockout games began.

How did Gauthier get best forward? He didn't even show up in the gold medal game. Because he padded his stats vs bad opponents in the first 4 games?
Next year.

He had the most points of the players younger than 19 in this tournament.

23rd overall. :laugh:

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The amount of attention these kids are getting on X is nuts. Can't recall the last time I have ever seen this before. Damn shame that being patriotic is either looked down or stands out as rarely happening in today's society, but these kids are being "retweeted" everywhere I look standing arm and arm singing our national anthem. Even Mike Eruzione is putting the spotlight on them!

Last edited:

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
This was an enjoyable gold medal performance because 1) our talent shined in critical moments 2) we weren't let down by coaching, which is so often the case.
Carle was brilliant.

An unflappable, calming influence. Made all the right subtle roster changes. Gave Fowler enough work to ensure we had a reliable option in goal (although he really had no choice in the quarters). Didn't hastily pull Augustine after the first 2 Finn goals in the semi.

Gave Rinzel, and possibly Hutson, more icetime than I would have preferred, but that's a small complaint, especially given the outcome.

He can free his calendar for Ottawa right now afaic.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I heard Carle say on multiple occasions that he wanted to give the players the freedom to be the best skilled team in the tourney(“we don’t wanna take the sticks out of their hands”). So he gave them freedom to play fast, confident, and aggressive. But then the d in our zone was a dumpster fire early. He figured out how to tighten it up Without giving up too much of the freewheeling style this team needed. Really impressed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-09 075714.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-09 075714.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad