Music: 2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Who should get in?

• Total voters

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lenny Kravitz is a guy who deserves to be in on accolades alone. Plenty of hits and his first two albums were recorded like 70s records at a time when the industry was still heavily using the 80s gated drums.

He had a decade+ run where all his albums were relevant.

Maybe because he's king fashion or doesn't live in the US anymore, but he never gets the same accolades as his peers.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Lenny Kravitz is a guy who deserves to be in on accolades alone. Plenty of hits and his first two albums were recorded like 70s records at a time when the industry was still heavily using the 80s gated drums.

He had a decade+ run where all his albums were relevant.

Maybe because he's king fashion or doesn't live in the US anymore, but he never gets the same accolades as his peers.
if hits and record sales is all it took. Styx would have been in year ago

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
if hits and record sales is all it took. Styx would have been in year ago
Maybe they should be.

What's wrong with Lenny Kravitz though? He checks all the criteria. Heck, he still has at least two songs (Are You Gonna Go My Way? and Fly) that are still played in all of professional sports games to this day.

That's lasting power and impact (and I'm sure now come the "Yeah but....." arguments).

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
slash and lenny kravitz should have done an album together at least once. after the 3rd album i just lost interest and tuned him out.

does he belong in the hall? i'll say yes only because there are many that are already in that have done just as much as he has.

styx, foreigner, billy squier, thin lizzy, mariah carey and eddie kramker would be my picks

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
slash and lenny kravitz should have done an album together at least once. after the 3rd album i just lost interest and tuned him out.

does he belong in the hall? i'll say yes only because there are many that are already in that have done just as much as he has.

styx, foreigner, billy squier, thin lizzy, mariah carey and eddie kramker would be my picks
Slash isn't much of a sognwriter. Great soloist. Izzy did the bulk of writing in that band.

I'd say Ozzy, Tribe, Mariah Carey, Sade, and Sinead O'Connor are the most likely to get in.

I love Jane's but the "only had two influential albums" used against them, can't really have a comeback for that.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Maybe they should be.

What's wrong with Lenny Kravitz though? He checks all the criteria. Heck, he still has at least two songs (Are You Gonna Go My Way? and Fly) that are still played in all of professional sports games to this day.

That's lasting power and impact (and I'm sure now come the "Yeah but....." arguments).
2 songs? Impact at sporting events is not what I meant by impact or influential.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
2 songs? Impact at sporting events is not what I meant by impact or influential.
Is still doesn't answer why he's not worthy. He was consistently on the radio for over a decade and even had a "comeback" in 2011.

The fact that he has two songs still played on national tv like every week is a cherry on top.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Kate Bush was my hill to die on, so since I finally got that last year, I can't get too worked up positively or negatively about any of this years nominees.

Sinead O'Connor should have got in when she was still alive. She probably would have used her acceptance speech to rip into the whole industry.

I'd like to see Cher banned forever for popularizing AutoTune

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Is still doesn't answer why he's not worthy. He was consistently on the radio for over a decade and even had a "comeback" in 2011.

The fact that he has two songs still played on national tv like every week is a cherry on top.
Using your logic? Trooper should be in the hall of fame as well. For me, this is a weak list overall

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Using your logic? Trooper should be in the hall of fame as well. For me, this is a weak list overall
What's my logic? That he had hits and was relevant for 15 years? That he put out some great albums?

If you're going to say why he shouldn't be in, give more than "I didn't like his music". Just the facts and data sir.

Kate Bush was my hill to die on, so since I finally got that last year, I can't get too worked up positively or negatively about any of this years nominees.

Sinead O'Connor should have got in when she was still alive. She probably would have used her acceptance speech to rip into the whole industry.

I'd like to see Cher banned forever for popularizing AutoTune
AutoTune has been around forever.

It's the equivalent of the 80s gated drums that Phil Collins used just about 10-12 years ago it became the sound and has turned the music industry into a bunch of influences cosplaying as singers and rappers.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
What's my logic? That he had hits and was relevant for 15 years? That he put out some great albums?

If you're going to say why he shouldn't be in, give more than "I didn't like his music". Just the facts and data sir.

AutoTune has been around forever.

It's the equivalent of the 80s gated drums that Phil Collins used just about 10-12 years ago it became the sound and has turned the music industry into a bunch of influences cosplaying as singers and rappers.
When did I say I did not like his music.---please repost the comment "I don't like his music". I do like his music---This where I come back to you and suggest you maybe too big of a fan of his to see the trees through the forest. He had one or two good songs on his albums but there was more filler than killer. After he had his big break out I found he was more style over substance.

For me this is a very weak list of nominees this year. But the bar has been lowered so much now that it is hard to see where the bar is any more.

In the 1970's Grand Funk Railroad, the Guess Who, Styx and a few others--using the bar you have used for Lenny--they should have been in years ago.

I think Oasis being nominated is a joke

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
When did I say I did not like his music.---please repost the comment "I don't like his music". I do like his music---This where I come back to you and suggest you maybe too big of a fan of his to see the trees through the forest. He had one or two good songs on his albums but there was more filler than killer. After he had his big break out I found he was more style over substance.

For me this is a very weak list of nominees this year. But the bar has been lowered so much now that it is hard to see where the bar is any more.

In the 1970's Grand Funk Railroad, the Guess Who, Styx and a few others--using the bar you have used for Lenny--they should have been in years ago.

I think Oasis being nominated is a joke
I'm not even THAT big of a fan of Lenny. He is underrated and I appreciate his consistency and body of work.

I'm looking at the nominees this year from an unbiased point of view. Honestly the entire thing is a joke an that organization is a sham because so many acts from the 60s-70s should be in.

I'm a much bigger fan of Jane's. Them, The Pixies, R.E.M. The Cure, Love and Rockets, XTC, and Madchester were the real start of what would become the 90s alternative movement if you look what was being played on college radio and on late night MTV back in the day before the fall of 1991. I made my point above, they only had two real influential albums.

And for Britpop, Blur was/is the best band.

Dave Matthews Band will probably get in too. I don't really like them (I used to hate them during the height of "Dave" in the early 2000s). I can't argue with their body of work and consistency.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Hmmmm. Iron Maiden is not even good enough to be nominated this year.
The R&R Hall of Fame doesn't seem to have much appreciation for hard rock and heavy metal. Notable omissions includes Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Thin Lizzy, and Soundgarden.

I enjoy listening to A Tribe Called Quest ("The Low End Theory" and "Midnight Marauders" were two of the best albums of the early 1990's). Eric B and Rakim were hugely influential on the development of rap music ("Paid in Full" is one of the best albums of the 1980's). And although I don't like her music, I recognize how, from a technical standpoint, Mariah Carey was a talented vocalist (and of course she sold an immense number albums).

But I don't see how "Check the Rhime" or "All I Want For Christmas Is You" are a better representation of rock music, in either a technical or emotional sense, than "Jailbreak", "Ace of Spades", "Peace Sells", and "Black Hole Sun".

I'll make the same comment I make every year - they should stop pretending that it's the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame in any meaningful sense, and just call it the pop music Hall. (That option allows them to both justify the exclusion of hard rock & metal bands, and also include rappers and pop singers).

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
If for many Americans Kate Bush was a 'wtf choice' last year (unjustly imo), then for us non-Americans Dave Matthews Band would certainly be that this year. I'm not bragging about it or anything, but I can honestly say that I couldn't name a single one of their songs.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If for many Americans Kate Bush was a 'wtf choice' last year (unjustly imo), then for us non-Americans Dave Matthews Band would certainly be that this year. I'm not bragging about it or anything, but I can honestly say that I couldn't name a single one of their songs.
She got in 90% because of Stranger Things. I'm not saying she isn't talented. She had an unusual resurgence.

Is Dave Matthews not big in Europe? I know he tours all the time to all locations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad