Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Allow me to make an argument, then.

Maye has elite size and arm talent. McCarthy has very good size and arm talent.

McCarthy makes faster, better decisions. He makes far fewer mistakes and isn't as reckless with the ball.

I'd say McCarthy gets a very slight edge in mobility. I think he's better throwing on the run than Maye is.

McCarthy is more consistently accurate. He's got better footwork. Maye has better touch.

McCarthy is more NFL-ready, coming from an offensive system that required him to take more snaps under center and relied heavily on play-action.

By all accounts, McCarthy has A+ toughness and leadership.

In short... McCarthy is less of a risk. He's more likely to be a good NFL quarterback, and while I concede that Maye has a bigger upside, I'm not convinced there's a huge difference.
I disagree with your statement that JJ is more NFL ready vs Maye.
Aside from the national championship against Alabama

10 games vs non ranked teams
4 games against ranked teams
19 total tds thrown for the season

• 18 against non ranked teams
  • 1 against ranked teams
Ave yds per game against ranked teams – 124
He was sheltered in those games with a superior running game

JJ had 713 pass attempts, Maye had 952 in his collegiate career.
Maye had almost as many completions , 618 as JJ had pass attempts.
Athletes improve by playing against the best possible competitiion and with a QB, throwing the football.

IMO neither one should be starting next year. It takes time to learn the pro game.
I have no issues with the Pats easing their new QB into the lineup when they are ready, be it game 8 / 12 or even next year.
You said it and I agree Maye has way more upside vs JJ.
At best JJ will be an average NFL QB, a tick above Mac Jones.
IMO you stay away from him with the third pick.
If the Pats only like Daniels, trade the pick and pick a WR or OT with their first pick.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I am in a better mood after the Bruins win but still leery of tomorrow. Current odds for 3rd pick: Drake Maye -240, JJ MCarthy+190. Courtesy of Draft Kings.

Reactions: bbfan419 and CDJ

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I disagree with your statement that JJ is more NFL ready vs Maye.
Aside from the national championship against Alabama

10 games vs non ranked teams
4 games against ranked teams
19 total tds thrown for the season

• 18 against non ranked teams
  • 1 against ranked teams
Ave yds per game against ranked teams – 124
He was sheltered in those games with a superior running game

JJ had 713 pass attempts, Maye had 952 in his collegiate career.
Maye had almost as many completions , 618 as JJ had pass attempts.
Athletes improve by playing against the best possible competitiion and with a QB, throwing the football.

IMO neither one should be starting next year. It takes time to learn the pro game.
I have no issues with the Pats easing their new QB into the lineup when they are ready, be it game 8 / 12 or even next year.
You said it and I agree Maye has way more upside vs JJ.
At best JJ will be an average NFL QB, a tick above Mac Jones.
IMO you stay away from him with the third pick.
If the Pats only like Daniels, trade the pick and pick a WR or OT with their first pick.
Here's what I mean when I say that McCarthy is more NFL-ready than Maye...

If you watch Maye, he's almost exclusively in shotgun for the whole season. You don't see him take five or seven step drops. Even UNC's goal line snaps are in shotgun. Michigan's offense has far more NFL concepts in it. You see McCarthy take snaps under center. You see him turn his back to the defense on play-action. Michigan looks like an NFL offense. North Carolina played a version of the Air Raid.

Maye has more upside than McCarthy. I didn't say he has "way more" upside, because I don't believe that.

JJ McCarthy has significantly more arm talent and is far more athletic than Mac Jones. JJ played this entire season at 20 years of age. When Mac Jones was 20 years old, his biggest contribution to Alabama was as a holder on field goals.

And again... I would rather take Maye at #3. I just think there's a really good McCarthy will be an above average NFL quarterback, and a chance he ends up being really, really good.

I also think that if/when the Patriots draft Maye, fans should be prepared for him not to play very much in his rookie season. And when he does step on the field, he's probably going to struggle. A lot.

Last edited:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
FWIW, if you haven't seen a lot of him, I'd say this game sort of encapsulates the Drake Maye Experience pretty well... both good and bad.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm almost offended at all the talk of minnesota trying to dump their later 1st rd picks for our 3rd, after what we as fans endured last year.

f*** off.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well at least we have intrigue here

I’m going they trade with Giants on the clock and Giants take Maye and Patriots grab JJ at 6

Second rounder taken at pick three by....

This is what I saw but I’m certainly no scout or was analyzing it like a Patriots game

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cole Strange "likes" this.
That video of Rams McVay & Sneed was so good when they saw he was picked

Belichick could have taken McDuffie who the analysts were saying he fell right to him

Incredible how things can go bad when you surround yourself with yourself

Reactions: Number6

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Pats really are going to take JJ at 3 huh?

Even ex-owner Victor Kiam (RIP) would not muck up lottery-style third pick. Robert Kraft front and center in the room and not in cameo role.

Last edited:

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
draft kings has Jaden Daniels at -1000 to go second now. Far cry from Friday when both he and Maye were -110. Maye is still -240 to go second as of now.

Chris Simms has an unhealthy hatred for Drake Maye btw. He is now comparing him to Will Levis and his fall to.the second round last year. Of Course I also recall Simms banging the drum a few years ago for Kellen Mond ( out of the league in two years). Simms has a crazy need to be seen as the smartest person in the room, but I'm not sure this would be the case if he were alone in the room with a toddler.

My guess for.today is we see a trade down. It is clear to me they want to....the only question is will some team pay the price? As I type this I am enjoying the newest rant and tears from Steve Dangle, who I am finding myself liking a little bit these days. It was not long ago many of us experienced the same frustrations he must feel. Between the Sox, Bruins and Pats many of us waited a lifetime for a championship.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The only 2 players the Pats should take at #3 are 1. Maye or 2. MHJ, if they want JJ then trade the pick for a haul, if they take McCarthy at #3 then they deserve all the losing that comes their way and I won't even watch anymore, unless the Kraft's sell the team.

Reactions: CDJ and KOZ37

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
What are peoples’ thoughts on trading down with someone like the Vikings, if we managed to get a King’s Ransom, picked WR at 11, OT at 23, another piece at 34 and then tried to get Rattler in the third, or trade up for him?

I’d be OK with Maye at 3, but I’m heavily concerned that drafting a QB with our talent on offense is not conducive for success.

In all likelihood in my initial proposal, we’re gonna be a top 10 pick again anyways and would have the Viking’s 2025 1st too for a QB then.

Reactions: DNE3

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
What are peoples’ thoughts on trading down with someone like the Vikings, if we managed to get a King’s Ransom, picked WR at 11, OT at 23, another piece at 34 and then tried to get Rattler in the third, or trade up for him?

I’d be OK with Maye at 3, but I’m heavily concerned that drafting a QB with our talent on offense is not conducive for success.

In all likelihood in my initial proposal, we’re gonna be a top 10 pick again anyways and would have the Viking’s 2025 1st too for a QB then.
Don't HAVE to play the QB right away, that's why they signed Brissett..

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Am I wrong that they could probably trade 3 and still get McCarthy later on?
Maybe. You'd be taking a risk, though.

Let's say you trade down with the Giants at #6. New York takes Maye... Arizona takes MHJr... and then Minnesota jumps you to take McCarthy at #5.

At that point, you'd either have to overdraft someone like Penix, trade down again to a spot where you'd feel more comfortable taking Penix, or pass on a QB entirely and take either Nabers or Alt.

I don't think you avoid drafting a QB based on whether the rest of the roster is able to immediately support that QB.

1. I wouldn't plan on Drake Maye playing a whole lot this year.

2. Presumably, the Patriots plan on trying to improve the offensive talent over the next few years.

3. There's no guarantee they'll be in a position to acquire a better QB next year or the year after that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad