Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I don’t hate JJ but just taking at 3 is brutal
I agree....you could trade back with either the Giants or Minnesota and be able to trade back up into the top 5 if needed and still have extra picks after the dealing is done. Arizona and the Chargers have made it clear they are willing to move back. Same with the Falcons at 8 and Bears with pick 9. Falcon may want to.trade for extra picks as they will likely lose some next year due to tampering with Cousins.

Reactions: DKH

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I don’t hate JJ but just taking at 3 is brutal
Maybe, depends on how the rest of the league views him. Despite all "reporting" that is ultimately one thing we can't really calculate. I just get a kick out of guys like us making a strong statement against McCarthy and propping up Maybe when plenty of people have questions about Maye. Zach Wilson had maybe the most upside of any QB I have ever seen. Turns out he blows. None of us know anything. At least not when it comes to what QB will be better. Think the Panthers wish they drafted Stroud? We're dealing with lottery tickets. If NOBODY was even talking about McCarthy being a first round pick then I would have some questions. Drafting him at 3 isn't the reach people want it to be.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
If you think you are drafting a franchise QB I don't care where he is drafted. If you can trade down and get him? Even better. I don't concern myself with hfboards posters who are concerned because Jim Harbaugh runs an offense out of the '80s. That's not to say I think McCarthy is even a better option that Maye. I have no f'ing clue. Basically like everyone else.

The only thing that annoys me is comparing McCarthy to Mac Jones. McCarthy has a better arm, more athletic and didn't have close to the weapons Mac had at Bama.
The only problem is he never threw the ball so hard to really know what it is. Pro days don't tell you much. They should at least throw in full pads if they really want to show something. I watched part of it and he was either over or under throwing most deep balls. The only Kudos I will give Mac is he at least was a huge part of the offense and played well. I don't think he was the answer here but none of the QBs here had a chance in hell in NE the last couple of years.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
My only thing with McCarthy as much as i like him is, i like Penix at a similar level. So just purely as a fan, if you could pick up three or four first round picks from Minnesota and use one of two you would have this draft on Penix, that would give you more flexibility and chances to put talent around a young qb than they would have if they just take McCarthy at 3.

If they draft McCarthy at 3, it will be hard for me to shake from the opinion that ownership mandated a qb be picked at 3 and they think Maye has too many flaws to draft.

Reactions: KOZ37

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Maybe, depends on how the rest of the league views him. Despite all "reporting" that is ultimately one thing we can't really calculate. I just get a kick out of guys like us making a strong statement against McCarthy and propping up Maybe when plenty of people have questions about Maye. Zach Wilson has maybe the most upside of any QB I have ever seen. Turns out he blows. None of us know anything. At least not when it comes to what QB will be better. Think the Panrthers wish they drafted Stroud? We're dealing with lottery tickets. If NOBODY was even talking about McCarthy being a first round pick then I would have some questions. Drafting him at 3 isn't the reach people want it to be.

Teams constantly talk themselves into taking middling QB prospects way too high. They almost never work out. If you take Maye and his talent and he sucks you at least took the guy with the most talent at a spot he was going in when college football ended.

You take a guy like McCarthy and he sucks you reached for a guy who wasn't considered a top of the draft prospect until a bunch of people spent a few months overthinking things even though no one was playing any new games.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The only problem is he never threw the ball so hard to really know what it is. Pro days don't tell you much.
I agree that there is certainly risk considering you don't have more game film to evaluate him on. But then I see what people say about Maye who has plenty of game file and plenty of critics. I'm just not getting worked up about what QB they identify as long as it's not Harry Shmedlap.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Maybe, depends on how the rest of the league views him. Despite all "reporting" that is ultimately one thing we can't really calculate. I just get a kick out of guys like us making a strong statement against McCarthy and propping up Maybe when plenty of people have questions about Maye. Zach Wilson had maybe the most upside of any QB I have ever seen. Turns out he blows. None of us know anything. At least not when it comes to what QB will be better. Think the Panthers wish they drafted Stroud? We're dealing with lottery tickets. If NOBODY was even talking about McCarthy being a first round pick then I would have some questions. Drafting him at 3 isn't the reach people want it to be.
I have plenty of questions about Maye as well. Both guys are only 21 so they still have two to.3 years of growth as players/men that the other QBs have benefited from. Neither Daniels or Nix were all that great at 21. Penix has been good but always hurt until this past year. I'd be fine moving back for Penix. If we traded with Minnesota and came out with Penix, Brian Thomas and someone like Mims at LT I would not complain. I think that would be feasible as well.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Teams constantly talk themselves into taking middling QB prospects way too high. They almost never work out. If you take Maye and his talent and he sucks you at least took the guy with the most talent at a spot he was going in when college football ended.

You take a guy like McCarthy and he sucks you reached for a guy who wasn't considered a top of the draft prospect until a bunch of people spent a few months overthinking things even though no one was playing any new games.
Who is doing the overthinking though? McCarthy isn't being propped up by fans. Most football fans HATE McCarthy. So evaluators and people in the industry got a look at him and are saying oh this kid is a lot better then we though? I don't know. If we're simply drafting on upside then yes it's obviously Maye. Given his body type/athleticism wouldn't Drake May have the most upside of any QB in this draft? Why then is he going after Jayden Daniels?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I do as well

Actually only scrambled eggs

full

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
As we get closer I will just resign myself to the fact that it won't matter who we draft they will end up being a bust. Then we can do this all again in a few years. It's our destiny after such a long run.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Who is doing the overthinking though? McCarthy isn't being propped up by fans. Most football fans HATE McCarthy. So evaluators and people in the industry got a look at him and are saying oh this kid is a lot better then we though? I don't know. If we're simply drafting on upside then yes it's obviously Maye. Given his body type/athleticism wouldn't Drake May have the most upside of any QB in this draft? Why then is he going after Jayden Daniels?

The teams are doing the overthinking. This happens almost every year with QB prospects because teams are (rightfully) desperate to get a good one. They start to fcous on flaws with some guys and only see the upside with others. This is how Trubisky jumped up in the draft when literally no one thought he should go that high.

The media is in line with fans on McCarthy, too, for the most part.

(I also think Washington is making a mistake taking Daniels over Maye, but at least you can make an argument there. None exist for McCarthy. Literally none.)

Reactions: KOZ37

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Wasn't considered a top of the draft prospect... by who?

Because I don't think NFL teams release their post College Playoff Draft Rankings.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Because I don't think NFL teams release their post College Playoff Draft Rankings.
They should. They should be forced to release their big boards after the draft! Now that would be fun.

Reactions: GatorMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Based on how this offense is constructed I wouldn't even be trotting out my rookie QB week 1 regardless of the pick. Gonna be some boring ass football this year!

If the QB class wasn't as bad as it's supposed to be next year I would have even gotten behind pushing off taking a QB to next year.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

By most people. I mean, we're obviously talking consensus here, and a lot of people in the know base their mocks/predictions onn what they learn about how teams view guys.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
ESPN Jeremy Fowler

'If New England likes McCarthy the most out of the available options, that's one thing. However, if they use their first-round pick on McCarthy because he's from the same school as Brady and Brady likes him, a lot of changes need to be made in the Patriots front office and above.'

Robert Kraft thumb on the scale here. Took some calls.

Reactions: EverettMike

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
(I also think Washington is making a mistake taking Daniels over Maye, but at least you can make an argument there. None exist for McCarthy. Literally none.)
Allow me to make an argument, then.

Maye has elite size and arm talent. McCarthy has very good size and arm talent.

McCarthy makes faster, better decisions. He makes far fewer mistakes and isn't as reckless with the ball.

I'd say McCarthy gets a very slight edge in mobility. I think he's better throwing on the run than Maye is.

McCarthy is more consistently accurate. He's got better footwork. Maye has better touch.

McCarthy is more NFL-ready, coming from an offensive system that required him to take more snaps under center and relied heavily on play-action.

By all accounts, McCarthy has A+ toughness and leadership.

In short... McCarthy is less of a risk. He's more likely to be a good NFL quarterback, and while I concede that Maye has a bigger upside, I'm not convinced there's a huge difference.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Seems there are more and more draft "experts" each year. The funny thing is they are so certain that so many of these picks can't miss...yet they do. Some teams are equally as bad. Hard to take any of it seriously. I'd trust some of you more just from watching guys actually play then these paid experts.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Allow me to make an argument, then.

Maye has elite size and arm talent. McCarthy has very good size and arm talent.

McCarthy makes faster, better decisions. He makes far fewer mistakes and isn't as reckless with the ball.

I'd say McCarthy gets a very slight edge in mobility. I think he's better throwing on the run than Maye is.

McCarthy is more consistently accurate. He's got better footwork. Maye has better touch.

McCarthy is more NFL-ready, coming from an offensive system that required him to take more snaps under center and relied heavily on play-action.

By all accounts, McCarthy has A+ toughness and leadership.

In short... McCarthy is less of a risk. He's more likely to be a good NFL quarterback, and while I concede that Maye has a bigger upside, I'm not convinced there's a huge difference.

Wow I think a lot of this is not even close to true. Sorry I can't respond more right now. Toddler bedtime.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
DK had -130 +120 Drake/JJ an hour ago I had a stroke
I tend to wonder if people like Lifshatz and other professional gamblers use their platforms to change the odds. They come out saying they are hearing things and tons of people throw money down based on this info....then your professional gamblers take advantage of the line swing to get better numbers on the previously heavy favorite. The money swinging back towards Maye being a heavier favorite reflects their money being wagered in a big way.

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad