Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

"But what has become clearer in recent days is how high the Patriots are on Maye, whom they view as a close-to-ideal fit for the offense they want to run."

..."If he's available, they probably hang up on Minnesota and make Maye the pick at No. 3. They’ve made it clear to the Vikings that it would take some wild offer to get them off their spot at No. 3 because of how badly they want a quarterback and how much they like Maye."

..."So if the unlikely scenario unfolded in which Daniels dropped and the Patriots traded back, the plan would then be to try to trade back up to pick McCarthy."

"The Patriots are among the many teams that see McCarthy as being in a similar tier to Daniels and Maye and believe he’d be worth a top-10 pick. If the Patriots can pull this off, they could add draft picks (potentially a first-round pick next year) while still getting McCarthy."

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

"But what has become clearer in recent days is how high the Patriots are on Maye, whom they view as a close-to-ideal fit for the offense they want to run."

..."If he's available, they probably hang up on Minnesota and make Maye the pick at No. 3. They’ve made it clear to the Vikings that it would take some wild offer to get them off their spot at No. 3 because of how badly they want a quarterback and how much they like Maye."

..."So if the unlikely scenario unfolded in which Daniels dropped and the Patriots traded back, the plan would then be to try to trade back up to pick McCarthy."

"The Patriots are among the many teams that see McCarthy as being in a similar tier to Daniels and Maye and believe he’d be worth a top-10 pick. If the Patriots can pull this off, they could add draft picks (potentially a first-round pick next year) while still getting McCarthy."

This McCarthy talk is annoying.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yeah, lets follow up Mac Jones by getting the poor man's version of Mac Jones...a QB no one was talking about until he was the game manager on a national championship team

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Yeah, lets follow up Mac Jones by getting the poor man's version of Mac Jones...a QB no one was talking about until he was the game manager on a national championship team
Dane Brugler from The Athletic has consistently had McCarthy rated among the Top 25 players in this draft class dating back to last summer.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
This McCarthy talk is annoying.
By far most annoying. No definite Penix Jr. talk, no Bo NIx talk. Robert Kraft will definitely have a hand in this first draft pick; if he insists on McCarthy based on the Foxboro visit, gazing into McCarthy's eyes, and a firm handshake, it's all over. Get ready for bland.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m kinda into the idea of trading down and picking Penix if Maye isn’t there at 3. I’d live with Daniels too

I agree.

There are so many varying opinions on QB’s 2-7 in this draft, I wonder if either taking MH2 at 3 or trading down, and still being able to draft a highly rated WR/OL and one of the top 7 QB’s, plus whatever else they can get in a package is the way to go?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
By far most annoying. No definite Penix Jr. talk, no Bo NIx talk. Robert Kraft will definitely have a hand in this first draft pick; if he insists on McCarthy based on the Foxboro visit, gazing into McCarthy's eyes, and a firm handshake, it's all over. Get ready for bland.
That's how we got our coach. He liked how he conducted himself on a trip.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
spawn of the football furries

1713975974947.png

Last edited:

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Drake Maye is the best fit for the Patriots. In order to trade the pick to the Vikings i would want the 4 first rounders they can trade or 3 + Addison. I do think comparing McCarthy to Mac is lazy though.

Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison and Alt being the Top 5 order has gone from +1400 to +850. Jumped on it now, but wish i took the plunge before the odds dropped that much.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

If I was 82 year old owner and JJ McCarthy or Charlie McCarthy, or Jenny McCarthy said I was cool and smooth, I wouldn’t care if it was a 4th rated QB, a ventriloquist dummy, or a one time hot MTV host I’m telling my GM draft him, her, of the piece of wood with no legs - they are my starting QB

Never trust a wealthy old man who needs a haircut, had 70’s white sideburns, and wears sneakers

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
If I was 82 year old owner and JJ McCarthy or Charlie McCarthy, or Jenny McCarthy said I was cool and smooth, I wouldn’t care if it was a 4th rated QB, a ventriloquist dummy, or a one time hot MTV host I’m telling my GM draft him, her, of the piece of wood with no legs - they are my starting QB

Never trust a wealthy old man who needs a haircut, had 70’s white sideburns, and wears sneakers
:rant: you take that back! It's unfair and untrue! :rant:

I'm not that wealthy! :wally:

Reactions: DKH

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Drake Maye is the best fit for the Patriots. In order to trade the pick to the Vikings i would want the 4 first rounders they can trade or 3 + Addison. I do think comparing McCarthy to Mac is lazy though.

Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison and Alt being the Top 5 order has gone from +1400 to +850. Jumped on it now, but wish i took the plunge before the odds dropped that much.

I don't think it's lazy at all. It might be obvious, but that's exactly why it's not lazy. They are very very similar prospects coming out of college.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I don't think it's lazy at all. It might be obvious, but that's exactly why it's not lazy. They are very very similar prospects coming out of college.
Mac Jones was a bottom 1% of the league arm talent and also wasn't a good in game athlete even if he tested alright athletically. Mac will be the last qb that lacks as much as he did that will go top half of the first round for a while.

McCarthy is a good athlete, with a good arm and can do things with his legs that Mac Jones could never do. To me the comparisons between the two end after them both playing for big programs and being accurate college qbs who won the national championship. I would never draft McCarthy over Maye, but i like McCarthy's potential in the league.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yeah, because Mac Jones made plays like this all the time at Alabama.

Guys, there were people on this forum telling me about all the throws Mac could make, too. McCarthy has below average physical skills for a top QB prospect, same as Mac.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Guys, there were people on this forum telling me about all the throws Mac could make, too. McCarthy has below average physical skills for a top QB prospect, same as Mac.
Mac has below-average physical skills for any QB, top prospect or not. This is from The Athletic's summary on McCarthy:

"Though McCarthy needs to add more bulk to his frame, he is a good-sized athlete who can operate from the pocket with balance, negotiate pressure and create plays with his mobility when needed. He is a loose passer, quick to process what the defense gives him and delivers with velocity and accuracy from various platforms (school -record 67.6 percent career completion percentage).

Dude's got a fast ball. I'm not sure he's got off-speed pitches, but he can friggin' spin a football.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
We need a QB that is a freak athlete and has the ability to:
1) run to make positive yardage
2) have above average arm strength to throw on the run and off the back foot
3) be willing to take a hit once in a while when running the ball
4) be a leader
See the two scouting reports below for Jones and Maye.
The two negatives with Maye can be easily be fixed.

Mac Jones Scouting report.

POSITIVES
— Shows a good understanding of the intent on a range of concepts. Consistently attempts to get the ball out within the framework of the play, whether it be right as his backfoot hits the top of his drop or after a single hitch. Rarely caught holding onto the ball for too long.
— Polished footwork and mechanics that have maximized his skill set.
— Excellent accuracy both in the pocket and out of structure.
— Adequate arm strength at all three levels, able to attack deep—and all levels—by throwing on time and accurately as opposed to overwhelming arm talent.

— Does a good job of delivering passes however needed. Quick delivery and is able to change arm angles. Will throw short RPOs like he's throwing darts.
— Not an overwhelming athlete but fluid enough to consistently throw while on the move with flashes of startling accuracy.

NEGATIVES
— Has a tendency to "fade away" on his throws, drifting backward at the end of his throwing motion that could lead him to not getting his full throwing power or having balls batted away.
— Can put the ball in harm's way trying to do a little too much. Will "wish" throws open that he determined pre-snap as opposed to progressing.
— Essentially maxed out mechanically. Not much more room for upside.
— Played with an all-star team of talent around him and an aggressive scheme featuring RPOs and shot plays.
— Adequate but limited athlete. Does enough at the college level but won't be able to get away with as much when trying to create a throw at the NFL level.

Drake Maye scouting report

POSITIVES
— Good athletic ability. Quick for his size, good speed to threaten defenses as a scrambler and designed runner.
— Very good arm strength. Throws with tons of velocity outside the numbers and down the field.
— Great ability to throw off-platform and under pressure. Can rip it when the pocket is cluttered or when he's on the move.
— Great accuracy. Throws well to all three levels and shows flashes of special touch.
— Above-average ability to operate within structure. Plays on time and knows how to get to the checkdown.

NEGATIVES
— Tendency to make bad plays worse. Will run into bad sacks or throw head-scratching interceptions trying to save a play.
— Can struggle to come off his pre-snap read when the picture changes on him post-snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad