Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

"The most likely scenario, per sources, remains that the Patriots will stay put at No. 3 and select LSU's Jayden Daniels, North Carolina's Drake Maye or Michigan's J.J. McCarthy.

Simply put, as one Patriots source said late last week, "you can't win without a quarterback." Mayo and some top decision-makers have privately acknowledged that their legacies will be tied to whatever they decide at quarterback."

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is no doubt if Belichick was here he’d call his buddy Harbough and we’d see

JJ McCarthy throwing to JJ Smith-Schuster & Devonte Parker being pass protected by Cole Strange

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Source, 'you can't win without a quaterback' Yeah. But it doesn't have to be number three pick. Could be Penix Jr., might be Bo Nix, possibly be Spencer Rattler. Look for unexpected names to appear on the draft board, always happens. Keep the owner's meddling to minimum.

Last edited:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Source, 'you can't win without a quaterback' Yeah. But it doesn't have to be number three pick. Could be Penix Jr., might be Bo Nix, possibly be Spencer Rattler. Look for unexpected names to appear on the draft board, always happens. Keep the owner's meddling to minimum.
Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler arent close to being franchise guys. Even as a day two pick, if thats your plan, you'll be in the same situation in 3-4 years.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler arent close to being franchise guys. Even as a day two pick, if thats your plan, you'll be in the same situation in 3-4 years.
Do not build out team based on hype and do not let owner influence the top pick. McCarthy may be top twenty player but not top four, not franchise guy, and not better than Penix Jr. or Nix. This team won't contend for anything any time soon. Let the professionals work this out.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Do not build out team based on hype and do not let owner influence the top pick. McCarthy may be top twenty player but not top four, not franchise guy, and not better than Penix Jr. or Nix. This team won't contend for anything any time soon. Let the professionals work this out.
I don't want McCarthy either.

I think the top 3 QBs are pretty set, with Williams being a tier above Daniels and Maye. I put Penix in a tier of his own under them.

The rest I couldn't care about. I don't think JJ is anything special, and certainly not a top 10 pick.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

"The most likely scenario, per sources, remains that the Patriots will stay put at No. 3 and select LSU's Jayden Daniels, North Carolina's Drake Maye or Michigan's J.J. McCarthy.

Simply put, as one Patriots source said late last week, "you can't win without a quarterback." Mayo and some top decision-makers have privately acknowledged that their legacies will be tied to whatever they decide at quarterback."

Here's the thing, how many times have we seen a QB-needy team drafting in the top 5 trade down to let another team select a team in their spot? Can't be that many, if any. That's why it's always seemed silly that other fans are convinced the Pats will trade down because they have so many other needs. Teams don't pass up the QB. They just don't.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

"If Daniels is there, I’d bet [the Patriots] take him. Both Maye and McCarthy have their fans in the Patriots’ building. And if it’s down to those two, my guess at this point is the team sticks at three and takes Maye. In any case, my money is that Maye goes third (with the Giants and Vikings possible trade partners for New England if the Patriots decide to move)."

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Billionaire nepo babies historically do a great job taking over sports franchises. And non-football people meddling in football operations have a great track record, too. No notes. Double the awesome.

Is it wrong that I'd feel better with the team being owned by Mark Davis than Jonathan? At least Davis is smart enough to keep his input to only signing the checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad