Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Having only watch a handful of highlights it sure feels like Demidov is the BPA at #2. It's a weird situation, because of the Russian factor, plus the fact that we need a D man now after trading Drysdale.

The safest pick seems like it would be Levshunov (or Dickinson but RHD is needed more). But if they're strictly going BPA I think it's Demidov.

I think the safest pick at #2 would be Dickinson due to his high floor defensively, but the ceiling isn't as high as Lev, Demidov, or Lindstrom. I think there's a good discussion between Demidov and Lev as BPA. Since Lindstrom has been injured, there hasn't been much talk about him being in the top-5 conversation. The upside for Lindstrom projects high, but the most important ability, which is availability, is what hampers Lindstrom's current stock.

Demidov vs Lev. Potential top line, elite scorer vs potential top-pairing, elite 2-way RD. Both are leading their respective teams in scoring. Lev leads his team in +/- by +8 and tied at 11th overall in the NCAA. Demidov is second on the team in +/-, behind +12 rating, and is 3rd overall in the MHL.

Demidov plays in the MHL, which the ages are similar to the CHL, ages 16-20. Demidov isn't the youngest on his team, there's a couple younger than him, including a 17-year old. Lev is playing in the NCAA, age range between 17-26.

I don't think Demidov is at Michkov's level in their respective draft seasons. Michkov spent his D+0 season in the VHL and KHL. Demidov eventually got a game in the VHL and four games in the KHL in his D+0 season.

Reactions: 2faded

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think the safest pick at #2 would be Dickinson due to his high floor defensively, but the ceiling isn't as high as Lev, Demidov, or Lindstrom. I think there's a good discussion between Demidov and Lev as BPA. Since Lindstrom has been injured, there hasn't been much talk about him being in the top-5 conversation. The upside for Lindstrom projects high, but the most important ability, which is availability, is what hampers Lindstrom's current stock.

Demidov vs Lev. Potential top line, elite scorer vs potential top-pairing, elite 2-way RD. Both are leading their respective teams in scoring. Lev leads his team in +/- by +8 and tied at 11th overall in the NCAA. Demidov is second on the team in +/-, behind +12 rating, and is 3rd overall in the MHL.

Demidov plays in the MHL, which the ages are similar to the CHL, ages 16-20. Demidov isn't the youngest on his team, there's a couple younger than him, including a 17-year old. Lev is playing in the NCAA, age range between 17-26.

I don't think Demidov is at Michkov's level in their respective draft seasons. Michkov spent his D+0 season in the VHL and KHL. Demidov eventually got a game in the VHL and four games in the KHL in his D+0 season.

I think Lindstrom's stock will also be affected by whether teams view him as a center for the future. If teams in that range see him sticking in the middle, he'll go at least somewhat higher just based on centers with size always being a premium commodity. There seems to be some notion that his style would lend more to the wing at the pro level, that could easily drop him slightly if teams have Dmen and centers on a similar talent tier.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Lindstrom's stock will also be affected by whether teams view him as a center for the future. If teams in that range see him sticking in the middle, he'll go at least somewhat higher just based on centers with size always being a premium commodity. There seems to be some notion that his style would lend more to the wing at the pro level, that could easily drop him slightly if teams have Dmen and centers on a similar talent tier.

Yup. Therein lies the problem with being injured for an extended amount of time in your D+0 season is solidifying your play at a certain position as well as solidifying your production to being consistent or above consistency.

Plus side is that Lindstrom did play center for Medicine Hat last year. The fact he improved his game between the two seasons is huge and gives more teams seeing him as a center, the scoring went from 0.69 ppg to 1.44 ppg. His FO% last year was 50.5% in 1,335 attempts. This year, his FO% is 54.8% in 890 attempts.

If the Ducks draft Lindstrom at 4th or 5th overall, then it's obvious that Lindstrom will play wing. We're one of the few teams in Lindstrom's range that is stocked at the center position. Other teams will continue to let Lindstrom play and develop at center. Look at Philly, they're desperate for a center and Cutter was going to play center for them regardless if his game is better suited at wing.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Whoever we pick, it's nice going into the draft with "we can use anything but a goalie." If we get an elite LHD (Dickinson?), we have a few lefties that can play on the right side and Luneau who is a righty (and hopefully we can pick up one of the big, defensive RD later in the 1st). If we get a good RHD that's a partner for Minty. If we get a C, they can swap to wing or McTavish can. If we get a RW, there's a spot in the top 6 with Terry on the right side. If we get a LW, Gauthier has said he can play all 3 forward positions so he can go to the right side or Mac might be a good option to play his off wing with the shot he has.

Ducks really just need a BPA. Ideally it's a RHD, but more important than that is hopefully it's a star player.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Whoever we pick, it's nice going into the draft with "we can use anything but a goalie." If we get an elite LHD (Dickinson?), we have a few lefties that can play on the right side and Luneau who is a righty (and hopefully we can pick up one of the big, defensive RD later in the 1st). If we get a good RHD that's a partner for Minty. If we get a C, they can swap to wing or McTavish can. If we get a RW, there's a spot in the top 6 with Terry on the right side. If we get a LW, Gauthier has said he can play all 3 forward positions so he can go to the right side or Mac might be a good option to play his off wing with the shot he has.

Ducks really just need a BPA. Ideally it's a RHD, but more important than that is hopefully it's a star player.

If we win the 1st overall, of course it BPA when it's Celebrini.

If we are 2-5, I think our priorities are BPA + need, which is defense if presented. Since it's quite a jumble between 2-8, 2-10, or 2-12 (Wheeler's list), it's kinda difficult to pinpoint BPA among those players and comes down to either preference or preferential need. I'm still leery of the Russian factors such as the KHL not abiding by IIHF rules & contracts (see Fedotov situation) and the extended term of service in the KHL new mandate (source).

My preference
- RD Lev (BPA + preferential need)
- LD Dickinson (BPA + need)
- C Lindstrom (BPA)

I just want to win #1, #2, or stay in the top-4.

As for a goal scoring RW, I hope we sign Colangelo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If we win the 1st overall, of course it BPA when it's Celebrini.

If we are 2-5, I think our priorities are BPA + need, which is defense if presented. Since it's quite a jumble between 2-8, 2-10, or 2-12 (Wheeler's list), it's kinda difficult to pinpoint BPA among those players and comes down to either preference or preferential need. I'm still leery of the Russian factors such as the KHL not abiding by IIHF rules & contracts (see Fedotov situation) and the extended term of service in the KHL new mandate (source).

My preference
- RD Lev (BPA + preferential need)
- LD Dickinson (BPA + need)
- C Lindstrom (BPA)

I just want to win #1, #2, or stay in the top-4.

As for a goal scoring RW, I hope we sign Colangelo.
I don’t really know who I want at 4 if Dickinson and lev are off the board

There is part of me(I know it’s not super realistic), that says screw it and trade down to a pick where we can still get 1 of biuim parekh or yakemchuk…. But I’d be looking for a 20-30 pick value to do so.

I think there is a market to teams that see lindsrtrom or Demidov as the clear #2 in draft

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
My dream scenario (which never happens in NHL drafts) is to trade back with like Montreal for their pick and the jets first that they have. Take Catton at like 8 and 2-3 Dmen with rest of our 1sts.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
If Craig Button from TSN is to be believed, there has been some drastic movement in the order of defenseive prospects for this draft:

He now has Parekh and Buium ahead of Levshunov, Dickinson and Eiserman.

• Wow
Reactions: MMC and Kalv

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If Craig Button from TSN is to be believed, there has been some drastic movement in the order of defenseive prospects for this draft:

It's Craig so take it with a grain of salt...
He sees Demidov as better then Michkov at the same stage. Thats crazy.
Silayev continues to drop like he has on all recent lists. Down to 12.
Catton at 15 is crazy.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
A quote from the Levshunov thread since I think he did a good summary of the article.
Elite Prospects just did a Film Room on Lev, some major takeaways for those who don't pay like I do.
  • Strengths summarized as: Incredible mobility and activation into the play/the rush, quick in the offensive zone, solid in controlled exits and entries, able to play a heavy game, NHL toolkit and physique already,
  • Big question marks summarized as: Is he an early developer who might peter out in his growth? Turnover prone on breakouts but this might be in part due to MSU's system, can be passive in his own zone with low motor, sometimes flashes his insane tools and sometimes seems lost on the ice.
  • Conclusion: "The best way to think about him is not as an early developer, a late-birthday player on a fast track to an NHL role, but as clay — of the highest quality. The right development system could mould him into that right-shot, top-pair element that every rebuilding team desperately wants."
Link for those who pay
The article kid of made me excited at the potential and weary that his ceiling may not be as high as the others if his success is driven by his physical maturity.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I actually watched his video and he explained that all the d-men within the #3-12 range all have a #3 rating and it's up to the respective teams on what kind of defenseman they want. Button chose Parekh and Buium for their high-end offensive productions as well as "great skating as if [they're] dancing on the ice". Button likes high end offense. Lev and Dickinson are more two-way D-men, but it does discount that Lev is leading his NCAA team in scoring too.

With Eiserman, Button has the caveat that if he's paired with a great centerman, then Eiserman will fill the net with pucks b/c Eiserman is the best goal scorer in this draft. It feels like Button side-eyed Eiserman as an elite one-trick pony that may need help to become that elite descriptor.

It's Craig so take it with a grain of salt...
He sees Demidov as better then Michkov at the same stage. Thats crazy.
Silayev continues to drop like he has on all recent lists. Down to 12.
Catton at 15 is crazy.

Button's list is wildly different that most of the mocks out there, but that's also good for him because it stir up a lot of conversation. The difference can bring up more scouting comparisons as well as other factors to make us re-evaluate players. While I might not agree with Button on some things, I appreciate him doing a list from his perspective.

Other examples that are wildly different are ...
- Hemming at #19 and MBN dropping from mid teens in most mocks to #29 for Button
- RD Emery not only being drafted in the first round, but also being drafted before RD Elick and Elick being rated #47 in the 2nd round.

If those events happen, then as a Duck fan who owns a late first and an early 2nd, I'm hopping all over MBN with our late first and running to the podium for Elick with the early 2nd.

Button did raise the value of one player I thought should rise from a 3rd round projection to the middle of the 2nd round in RD Soini at #50, two picks down from RD Elick. Oddly, RD Badinka didn't make Button's top-64.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A quote from the Levshunov thread since I think he did a good summary of the article.

The article kid of made me excited at the potential and weary that his ceiling may not be as high as the others if his success is driven by his physical maturity.

Can you imagine saying something like that with Fantilli last year, who's also an October birth date?

Looking at Lev's EP career stats, it's dubious that physical maturity is the sole reason Lev looks good on an NCAA team where he's the youngest d-man on the team. Lev was an OFD who has been learning to play defense for the past two seasons on NA ice since coming from Belarus. He had a -15 rating in the USHL and the 6th best scorer last year. Why didn't Lev dominate at that lower level of competition?

Lev put in work between the USHL and NCAA summer, apparently, to be that physically mature. Mac did the same thing of working on his body since the OHL shutdown.

From THN Future Watch 2023
2024 Projected top-10 (pg 89)
#4. Dickinson.​
Scout says, "Well-rounded, does a lot of things well. He's going to be a big-bodied guy with good reach and lenght. He'll bring compete, play tough match-ups, chip in offensively. I like the package. I like the potential."​

#6. Lev​
Scout says, "It's the calm and presence he has at his age. He doesn't seem to get rattled or nervous. He's playing as if he was a 19-year old veteran in the league [USHL], which is tough for a defenseman."​

Dickinson was denoted for having a big body, but Lev's report didn't cite his body as a main focus. Lev's report denoted his poise.

Flash forward to Feb 13, 2024, when the Athletic had an article on Lev, interviewing Lev's NCAA coach Nightingale.

What’s impressed you about Levshunov and how he’s evolved this year?

He has size and physicality to his game. He’s got a big-time poise with the puck. I just think his willingness to learn and and he’s still growing, but to play both ends of the rink. I think when we’re talking about defensemen, that’s one of the hardest things with young talent and D is obviously you want them to be involved but also the importance and value in defending, and he does. You look at how many plays he ends with his physicality. You’re talking about a guy that teams are looking at taking that high, you want to be able to play him 25 minutes a night, and he’s one of those guys.

Were you able to trust him early or how has that come on?

Pretty early on he played a fair amount. But I think you’re talking about a young player, so he’s got to play through some mistakes, and our job is to coach them and hold them accountable, but that’s kind of how you learn and grow. In practice, you can see him improving every single day, extremely hard worker and committed kid. If you watch him now, you’re pretty impressed with his growth.

Lev's size and physicality are introduced first by his head coach. Then Lev's poise. In the second question response, the head coach is identifying Lev's growth from the start of the season to then. That aligns with people showing Lev's 2nd NCAA game and denoting all the bad things, but then never come back to revisit how Lev is playing now.

But that fact the head coach identifies Lev is committed and a hard worker, that should increase Lev's potential. We've seen guys blessed with physical maturity in Ritchie and Comtois, but their lack of commitment and hard work became their ultimate demise. Lev is redefining himself as a physical, two-way D; not just a OFD.

man... if he gets picked before our pick... it's gonna suck! hahahhah

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Levshunov is unlikely to be there at pick 4. He is probably the first D taken and if he isnt we need to hope that Lindstrom is taken before us so that he drops.
I think it really depends on the order(not including 1st overall)

If the sharks are ahead of us I think they go levshunov tho. I think they really wanted Mintyukov in his draft.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think it really depends on the order(not including 1st overall)

If the sharks are ahead of us I think they go levshunov tho. I think they really wanted Mintyukov in his draft.
Yeah unless they get Celebrini they definitely go D and next years class they go forward. This is the best draft for them to draft a Dman. Lev, Shakir and Thrun is a big start to their future D corp.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I could watch videos like these all day. Love listening to Button and Bobby Mac

Judging by our roster and our inability to develop quality talent, I would continue as BPA. I wouldn’t mind taking a swing on Demidov. I’m not sure if there is a ‘Russian Factor’ with top players, but he would instantly help this hapless bunch.

Having Parekh would be incredible - that is who I would target. It would be nice to have an offensive RHD dynamo back there (kinda what I wished with Drysdale). Judging by other scouting videos, his skating and elusiveness is definitely needed here.

I would ask the Ducks staff to please shy away from Levshunov. I am still not convinced he can make the jump to be a top pairing defenseman. While he may be positionally sound, he looks ‘slow’ and appears to have a weak shot coming from the point. Not really looking for projects here. We need talent now

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I could watch videos like these all day. Love listening to Button and Bobby Mac

Judging by our roster and our inability to develop quality talent, I would continue as BPA. I wouldn’t mind taking a swing on Demidov. I’m not sure if there is a ‘Russian Factor’ with top players, but he would instantly help this hapless bunch.

Having Parekh would be incredible - that is who I would target. It would be nice to have an offensive RHD dynamo back there (kinda what I wished with Drysdale). Judging by other scouting videos, his skating and elusiveness is definitely needed here.

I would ask the Ducks staff to please shy away from Levshunov. I am still not convinced he can make the jump to be a top pairing defenseman. While he may be positionally sound, he looks ‘slow’ and appears to have a weak shot coming from the point. Not really looking for projects here. We need talent now
Yeah, if they are picking in the top 4 the Ducks have to go for a gamebreaker. A real potential gamechanger even if he isn't the physical giant that PV seems to prefer. If they draft 5th I'd be ok with Dickinson depending on who is taken before him.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
That seemed inevitable. The one thing you cannot take a chance on this high up in the draft is hockey IQ.
Noone questions any of those other guys IQ except maybe Lev because of his turnovers, but scouts are saying its a product of his teams style rather then his inability to make safe passes.

If the Ducks take Parekh I will be ecstatic, because that means they see him more then just the offensive juggernaut his is in juniors. Honestly if the Ducks take any defensemen my hype level for them will go crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad