Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Levshunov plays against Colangelo today at 2 on espn+/ESPNU

Prior to that, you get kukkonen and gauthier facing off

Reactions: lwvs84

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I don't think anyone should be certain of anything other than Celebrini going first. It's just one of those years

It's just weird that I don't even have a personal favorite. Like there are a lot of fine guys, no one just stands out for me, at all. Usually there are at least a couple of players who I like for whatever reason. I don't even know if I prefer a forward or a defenseman with the 1st pick the Ducks have (excluding Celebrini of course).

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's just weird that I don't even have a personal favorite. Like there are a lot of fine guys, no one just stands out for me, at all. Usually there are at least a couple of players who I like for whatever reason. I don't even know if I prefer a forward or a defenseman with the 1st pick the Ducks have (excluding Celebrini of course).
I think that sums up this draft very accurately...at least until the final rankings start coming out and culminate with McKenzie's a week or two before the draft.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Who are the best players you couldn't see taking with our own first, but would happily package the Oilers pick + our 2nd to move up for?

Silayev - Could very well go before our pick but also late enough to possibly move up for, based on latest rankings. A bit of a wildcard, but man I'd be thrilled to move up and get him with a second first.

Helenius - ceiling is probably #6 if we happened to land there, but if he somehow fell to the early teens, I think you have an instant top 9 RW/C who brings some speedy/tenacity traits that we lack in our skill group.

Iginla/Greentree/Brandsegg-Nygard - any of those three instantly become our best non NHL F prospect and have intriguing skillsets

This just doesn't appear to be a draft that is super flush with depth compared to some years, and we have a ton of picks/prospects anyway. 100% seems like the type of draft where you move up to jump on your targets.

It seems highly unlikely that all five of those guys are gone in the top 10, there should be talent left to try and move up for at 12-15 or possibly later.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Who are the best players you couldn't see taking with our own first, but would happily package the Oilers pick + our 2nd to move up for?

Silayev - Could very well go before our pick but also late enough to possibly move up for, based on latest rankings. A bit of a wildcard, but man I'd be thrilled to move up and get him with a second first.

Helenius - ceiling is probably #6 if we happened to land there, but if he somehow fell to the early teens, I think you have an instant top 9 RW/C who brings some speedy/tenacity traits that we lack in our skill group.

Iginla/Greentree/Brandsegg-Nygard - any of those three instantly become our best non NHL F prospect and have intriguing skillsets

This just doesn't appear to be a draft that is super flush with depth compared to some years, and we have a ton of picks/prospects anyway. 100% seems like the type of draft where you move up to jump on your targets.

It seems highly unlikely that all five of those guys are gone in the top 10, there should be talent left to try and move up for at 12-15 or possibly later.
As you correctly observed, this draft isn't particularly deep with elite talent and there is a pretty clear drop-off after the top 15 or so. Every team knows that so the cost of moving into that tier is going to be fairly high. If I was a GM and had a top 15ish pick I don't know that I'd be willing to move down in exchange for picks 25ish and 35. The value just isn't there and you basically said as much in your post. It really depends on how those teams picking in the 12-15ish range feel about the talent available.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'd like to trade up for MBN. But I think the Oil need to be kicked out of the playoffs in the first round to have that ammo to jump up into the 12-15 range.

Although, I'd have to disagree with you about this draft not having depth. There's a much bigger contingent of defensemen rising up into the late first round and into the 2nd round. I watched a lot of prospect ranking videos yesterday and got introduced to a few more defensive names to put on radar. One of those names I cited a while back in RD Badinka. RD Soini was ranked in the 2nd round for Button's rankings. Other d-prospect lesser known names are LD Leo Shalin Vallenius, 6'6 LD Jesse Pulkkinen, LD Alfons Freij, and 6'3 RD Harrison Brunicke.

If you need a talented d-man, this is a great draft to snag one at the bottom of the first (playoff teams who retained their pick) or in the 2nd round.

Should Anaheim not grab a RD in its earlier pick, then I wouldn't want to trade up. I trust our scouts to find great talent in D with a late first or early 2nd or both, provided we draft a forward with our first round pick.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I’d rather draft load up on D since there are a lot of appealing ones in the late 1st-2nd range.

Elick
Emery
Pulkkinen
Badinka
Skahan

All fill the style we are desperately missing in the prospect pool.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’d rather draft load up on D since there are a lot of appealing ones in the late 1st-2nd range.

Elick
Emery
Pulkkinen
Badinka
Skahan

All fill the style we are desperately missing in the prospect pool.

Emery's stock is rising, maybe rising a little too high where he might go early 20s.

I'm not sold on Skahan yet. He's got lots of tools, but isn't putting it altogether. Just on talent, Skahan is better than Emery. Emery has been putting it together and improving.

I do like RD Soini, but he's probably at the bottom of the 2nd round/early 3rd round. Button put him in the 50's, iirc.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd like to trade up for MBN. But I think the Oil need to be kicked out of the playoffs in the first round to have that ammo to jump up into the 12-15 range.

Although, I'd have to disagree with you about this draft not having depth. There's a much bigger contingent of defensemen rising up into the late first round and into the 2nd round. I watched a lot of prospect ranking videos yesterday and got introduced to a few more defensive names to put on radar. One of those names I cited a while back in RD Badinka. RD Soini was ranked in the 2nd round for Button's rankings. Other d-prospect lesser known names are LD Leo Shalin Vallenius, 6'6 LD Jesse Pulkkinen, LD Alfons Freij, and 6'3 RD Harrison Brunicke.

If you need a talented d-man, this is a great draft to snag one at the bottom of the first (playoff teams who retained their pick) or in the 2nd round.

Should Anaheim not grab a RD in its earlier pick, then I wouldn't want to trade up. I trust our scouts to find great talent in D with a late first or early 2nd or both, provided we draft a forward with our first round pick.

I'm generally all for the Oil getting tossed early

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Any of
Iginla
MBN
Greentree
Sennecke

Also a few dmen I’d like in that area

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So I've pretty much come around to the conclusion that Celebrini and Demidov are 1-2 on my wish list. They are the only two true difference makers in this year's draft IMO. After those two, I'm pretty indifferent as to who the Ducks take. Unfortunately, I hold out very little hope that (a) the Ducks will win the lottery (b) that Demidov will be available when the Ducks do pick and (c) that they will take Demidov even if he is available when they pick.

Reactions: lwvs84

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So I've pretty much come around to the conclusion that Celebrini and Demidov are 1-2 on my wish list. They are the only two true difference makers in this year's draft IMO. After those two, I'm pretty indifferent as to who the Ducks take. Unfortunately, I hold out very little hope that (a) the Ducks will win the lottery (b) that Demidov will be available when the Ducks do pick and (c) that they will take Demidov even if he is available when they pick.

Demidov is a sick talent, no doubt about it. Might have the most pure skill base in the entire class (Celebrini obviously immensely more well rounded).

My concern with Demidov, is that you end up waiting three+ years to get a guy who turns out to be one dimensional and flakey. That's been the knock on him so far, that he turns it on when he see fit, isn't overly competitive and especially not on the defensive side. I feel like that doesn't fit with the identity Verbeek wants to build.

But on the other hand, in a draft that really seems to have one sure fire top line player - Demidov's upside to become another Kaprizov/Kucherov...I won't pretend it's not tantalizing. Especially after watching us generating so few chances of late.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Demidov is a sick talent, no doubt about it. Might have the most pure skill base in the entire class (Celebrini obviously immensely more well rounded).

My concern with Demidov, is that you end up waiting three+ years to get a guy who turns out to be one dimensional and flakey. That's been the knock on him so far, that he turns it on when he see fit, isn't overly competitive and especially not on the defensive side. I feel like that doesn't fit with the identity Verbeek wants to build.

But on the other hand, in a draft that really seems to have one sure fire top line player - Demidov's upside to become another Kaprizov/Kucherov...I won't pretend it's not tantalizing. Especially after watching us generating so few chances of late.
Isn’t Demidov’s contract up in 2025?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

It's hard to ignore how good this kid is at creating offense. Just one of those guys who knows where everyone is and how to manipulate time and space. I don't know if Verbeek is going to want a slight, non physical defender after moving JD - have sort of looked past Parekh for the most part because of that. But his historically dominant season as a u18 Dman in the OHL, suggests he can be a big offensive difference maker. Are we going to overlook a young Karlsson type, for not having certain other qualities? I'm not so sure anymore

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

It's hard to ignore how good this kid is at creating offense. Just one of those guys who knows where everyone is and how to manipulate time and space. I don't know if Verbeek is going to want a slight, non physical defender after moving JD - have sort of looked past Parekh for the most part because of that. But his historically dominant season as a u18 Dman in the OHL, suggests he can be a big offensive difference maker. Are we going to overlook a young Karlsson type, for not having certain other qualities? I'm not so sure anymore

I was the same earlier in the year... I was thinking no way we would want another small defender who is questionable defensively and not physical... but he is several notches above offensively than any defender. Parekh, Celebrini and Demidov have the natural 'it' factor and elevate teammates when they have the puck. If we fall out of the draft (missing Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom) or trade down, I probably still lean Parekh over all of the other defensemen because there are plenty of other interesting big dmen that should be available in the 2nd/3rd.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

What if it means passing on a young McAvoy (Dickinson), Kucherov (Demidov), Heiskanen (Buium), etc?

I just find it ridiculous to compare him to Karlsson. Karlsson is basically an alltime great in terms of pure offensive defensemen. None of the other guys are being compared to all-time greats, as they rightfully shouldnt be.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What if it means passing on a young McAvoy (Dickinson), Kucherov (Demidov), Heiskanen (Buium), etc?

I just find it ridiculous to compare him to Karlsson. Karlsson is basically an alltime great in terms of pure offensive defensemen. None of the other guys are being compared to all-time greats, as they rightfully shouldnt be.

Let's pump the brakes here, there was an obvious point to the post and it wasn't to make a direct comparison to prime Karlsson.
I said young Karlsson type.

Point being, without anyone getting hung up on comparisons - does Parekh have too much game breaking offensive talent to be overlooked, even though he doesn't seem to fit an archetype of what most of us think we are looking for?

Reactions: AngelDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A 33 goal OHL season as a spindly 17 year old DEFENSEMAN is quite absurd, especially without the benefit of any advanced physical tools. Karlsson really is the best style comparison. It's the top end of the outcome spectrum but that's the type of player you are hoping for if you draft him top 10.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Let's pump the brakes here, there was an obvious point to the post and it wasn't to make a direct comparison to prime Karlsson.
I said young Karlsson type.

Point being, without anyone getting hung up on comparisons - does Parekh have too much game breaking offensive talent to be overlooked, even though he doesn't seem to fit an archetype of what most of us think we are looking for?
Thats fair.

I personally have never been a huge Karlsson fan. He has never been capable of playing defense when you need to lock a game down. He will never be in the same level as Keith, Doughty, Weber, Chara, Hedman, etc because of that reason.

Look at his stats, he is near PPG and a career -98. Obviously +/- isn't perfect, but compare that to other "elite" defensemen:
Scotty: +167
Chara: +301
Weber: +79
Suter: +121
Pronger: +183
Lidstrom: +450
Doughty: +60
Keith: +159
Hedman: +175

There is a 158 goal differential between him and the next lowest.

He is an amazing hockey player, but I don't think it is a mystery why he has never won a cup. You can't win a cup where he is your best defensemen.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Dont know if Parekh’s numbers are partly inflated because of the system he’s in, but you’ve gotta think that given we’ve already seen Mintyukov and Dionicio that if there’s any team who knows how defensemen from that system can potentially translate to pro-level hockey, it’s us

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm still high on Lev. When figuring out players, I try to use our scout's philosophy of who that player can be in the future. If we were judging on how they performed as they were, then we don't have Z, Mac, Zell, LaCombe, and Minty, to name a few. Lev is like a RD Minty, but a bit better defensively with a little more physicality.

If we do pick Lev, then Verbeek needs to leave him be in the NCAA to continue his defensive development. I don't trust our coaching staff at the AHL or NHL levels.

Right now, the NHL club doesn't possess top-end defensive players. We're hoping the development continues with Minty, LaCombe, and Vaaks. We don't know what we have in Luneau still, but his defense is behind and with another knee injury, that's another unknown factor.

Anaheim needs to improve its defense and be better balanced. I'll take Dickinson if Lev is taken, but we need to improve our top-4 D.

2021-22: 2 top-4 shutdown D, 1 top-pairing shutdown D. Fringe playoff team until TDL.
2022-23: No shutdown, top-6 guys. Finished dead last in the league.
2023-24: 1 top-4 shutdown D. Projected to finish with 2nd or 3rd worst record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad