Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Levshunov, Silayev, Yakemchuk, Dickinson, Parekh............................................................................Buium
  1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Silayev
  4. Yakemchuk
  5. Levshunov
  6. Parekh
  7. Lindstrom
  8. Dickinson
  9. Buium
  10. Iginla
  11. Catton
  12. Eiserman
My current list. Likely to change with NCAA tournament, CHL playoffs, catching up on MHL, and summer tournies.

Levshunov, Silayev, Yakemchuk, Dickinson, Parekh............................................................................Buium
I don’t understand this.

rt

May 13, 2004
Just means I have Buium outside the top 15, and all those other guys are inside the top 10

1 - Celebrini
2 - Demidov
3 - Levshunov
4 - Silayev
5 - Yakemchuk
6 - Lindstrom
7 - Dickenson
8 - Parekh
9 - Eiserman
10 - Catton
Oh gotcha. That’s very surprising to me. I wouldn’t be mad if we took Buium 2nd overall. :dunno:

Cameron Poe Dameron

Jul 19, 2022
I love Buium's all around game. His stickhandling allows his vision and smarts to be ridiculously effective. I think his overall skating is really good, he has goal scoring ability and some highly creative playmaking. He's great on puck retrievals and moves the puck safely back up ice either by carrying it or passing it very consistently.

I'm not saying this is more important, but what I love more than that even is I saw him get knocked down by two players, crosschecked and slashed while on the ice, and then get back up and laugh in their faces.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The way I look at is it depends on the kind of defenseman you want to add, they’re all equally skilled but their skills are distributed in different places

Levshunov, Parekh - pure offensive play driving defensemen, highest ceiling

Buium, Dickinson - Dependable, all around defensemen. Likely won’t be top pairing but both are good bets to be 3/4s.

Silayev, yakemchuk - true wildcards. High floors, but unknown ceilings

I’m basing a lot of this mostly on vibes. I don’t have time to watch these games. Personally I think w should get a pure offensively dynamic defenseman, cuz I don’t have faith that Simashev will be more than a 3 because of his offensive limitations

rt

May 13, 2004
I love Buium's all around game. His stickhandling allows his vision and smarts to be ridiculously effective. I think his overall skating is really good, he has goal scoring ability and some highly creative playmaking. He's great on puck retrievals and moves the puck safely back up ice either by carrying it or passing it very consistently.

I'm not saying this is more important, but what I love more than that even is I saw him get knocked down by two players, crosschecked and slashed while on the ice, and then get back up and laugh in their faces.
He’s only average height but he’s so strong. Doesn’t run around looking to kill anyone. But he’s really sturdy. Very stout. He’s got an active stick and is really good at leaning in and separating the puck from players. Then offensively he’s got the incredible falling down hill entry into the ozone that you see with Adam Fox and Simon Nemec. So many head fakes and shimmy shakes. Dangles for days. Really good at getting around guys despite not having elite speed.

He’s big and strong despite not being tall. And he’s a really effective skater despite not being fast or having a beautiful stride. And he’s really underrated defensively, especially for an offensive D-Man. Kid is an anomaly of contradictions. And I think he’s going to be awesome at the next level.

Reactions: Cameron Poe Dameron

rt

May 13, 2004
The way I look at is it depends on the kind of defenseman you want to add, they’re all equally skilled but their skills are distributed in different places

Levshunov, Parekh - pure offensive play driving defensemen, highest ceiling

Buium, Dickinson - Dependable, all around defensemen. Likely won’t be top pairing but both are good bets to be 3/4s.
This is kind of a wild take, man. Both are putting up insane numbers.

Dickinson has the most impressive production of any top ranked draft eligible OHL D in the last 15 years outside of Ellis, Bouchard and Parekh.

Better OHL draft Yr numbers than Bogosisn and Doughty who went 2nd and 3rd

Better numbers as an OHL draft eligible than Pietrangelo who went 4th overall.

Better than Cam Fowlers OHL DY numbers. Better than Dougie Hamiltons (9th). Better than nurse (7th). Better than Sergachev (9th)

Better than Chychruns. Better than Drysdale (6th). Better than Brandt Clarkes.

Better than Harley or Mintyukov.

It’s the same for Buium if you look at the NCAA. These guys are putting up elite elite elite numbers.
Silayev, yakemchuk - true wildcards. High floors, but unknown ceilings
Once again, both are putting up insane numbers. Exceedingly rare. Silayev has the best KHL draft year D production any time in recent history. Sure 15 years at least. Yakemchuk has 30 goals. As a defenseman in the WHL. By far the toughest CHL league. That never happens. Ever. It’s amazing. And Calgary pretty much sucks other than him. He completely Carries that team.
I’m basing a lot of this mostly on vibes. I don’t have time to watch these games. Personally I think w should get a pure offensively dynamic defenseman, cuz I don’t have faith that Simashev will be more than a 3 because of his offensive limitations

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Do you think Bill would even consider Buium or Parekh?
Why wouldn’t he?

Buium is over 6ft tall, and very strong, fairly physical, and underrated defensively.

Parekh is also 6ft. He doesn’t ever engage physically and is pretty not great defensively. So that one maybe not so much. But he’s an elite talent. We did draft Cooley afterall.

Reactions: Cameron Poe Dameron

rt

May 13, 2004
Forget draft years. Just looked up u20 NCAA scoring by defensemen over the last 15yrs. Buium is she’s dog everyone other than Hutson who’s two years older. He’s nearly twice as productive as most top rated draft year D in the NCAA. Basically twice as productive as either Werenski or Hanifin as an example.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
This website is dying. I didn’t mean for that post to be rude and choppy and incomplete. It just kept refreshing while I was typing it and erasing half at a time. I just raced through. Sorry if it came off badly @JasonDemersWasOkay
It is the glitchiest most problematic site I have been on since Gore birthed the internet.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Over the last week I've watched games from Levshunov, Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuk and Parekh. And they're basically impossible to rank with any kind of confidence.

I’ve only seen 3-4 games from Levshunov this year. More like 10 for Buium. A dozen for Dickinson (I watched two last night) and twice that for both Yakemchuk and Parekh. Silayev, I watched all of his MHL playoff games last year, and will be watching his MHL playoffs from this year eventually. But I haven’t watched his KHL games this season outside of shift-by-shifts and highlight packages. I guess I’ve watched all the highlights and scouting videos for all six, really. Not just Silayev. And I listen to all the prospect podcast, too.

All six are so incredibly different from one another and yet so incredibly close in terms of quality as prospects.
Thanks for watching that much hockey. Wow. I look forward to your insights as the draft approaches.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thanks for watching that much hockey. Wow. I look forward to your insights as the draft approaches.
I watch one junior game per night on average. I used to drink one bourbon every night after the kids were in bed. Now I don’t drink. I watch one junior hockey game every night before bed instead. Haha.

If I’m traveling for work and in a hotel I might watch two or three. If I have to work late I might watch zero. Or if the Yotes are playing late. But I think it’s been about one per day for most of this season.

Reactions: Heldig

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Regarding tank vs winning meaningless games - I want to win.

I think we're walking away with either Lindstrom, Silayev or Yakemchuk, regardless of how many games we win down the stretch. I'm good with that. Actually, I'm thrilled with that.

I'm not so thrilled with how the season has gone and I don't want it getting any more rotten.
I have had my fill of winning streaks when it doesn't matter anymore but there's no Bedard this year so I'm kinda indifferent. Don't get me wrong, I would be over the moon for Cellebrini but this was never a tank season, it was a season to hope for some improvement all while knowing it was still pretty likely to end the same way as last season. So when I watch I root for a win but if they lose I'm not really bothered by it either since it at least means they won't hurt their draft odds.

rt

May 13, 2004
Forget draft years. Just looked up u20 NCAA scoring by defensemen over the last 15yrs. Buium is she’s dog everyone other than Hutson who’s two years older. He’s nearly twice as productive as most top rated draft year D in the NCAA. Basically twice as productive as either Werenski or Hanifin as an example.
Hanifin and Werenski were NCAA freshmen and top ten picks in that draft. Buium has doubled their production this year. He’s been twice as productive. That’s just nuts. And he’s a half a point per game better than Quinn Hughes as a freshmen top ten pick in his draft year. He’s also doubled up on Owen Power’s production as a freshman 1st overall.

rt

May 13, 2004
Here is my dream. You can all have your own. This is mine. I want the biggest pains in the ass.

Carter Yakemchuk at 7th overall. Trade our 2nd and Washington’s 2nd to the late 1st and pick Yegor Surin.

Trade Florida’s 2nd and our 3rd to move up into the mid 2nd for Stian Solberg.

Then with our remaining two thirds we take Tyler McInnis Thorpe and Simon Pier Brunet.

Yakemchuk
Surin
Solberg
Thorpe
Brunet

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Man that's wild. Especially with the Dickinson stats. Is this class a bit underratted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad