Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've seen some reporting that Celebrini might go back for his sophomore year.

Imagine Celebrini, But, MavLam and Simashev all onboarding for their rookie years together. :oops:
I think it depends with Celebrini. He’s so freaking young that it makes total sense to go back despite his game being 100% NHL ready. But if he wins the Hobey and BU wins the national championship, I don’t think he’s going back.

Now, if he falls short of the Hobey and BU doesn’t win it all, and his BFF Cole Eiserman is joining him next season, and he sees a chance for revenge for Team Canada at the WJC? Okay. I could see him going back. For sure.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've now hit my max threshold for fantasizing about a lottery win. It's not going to happen. Hockey the hard way.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I believe Geekie will spend a full season in the AHL.
At least one full season. Looking forward to seeing how he preforms! Wanting each and everyone of you to say... See he's a first line god, not a third line grinder.

rt

May 13, 2004
Going back and watching some Giants vs Blazers games to try to get a better feel for Colton Roberts vs Harrison Brunicke. That Tyler Thorpe really jumps off the screen every single time I watch the Vancouver Giants. He’s so big, so mobile, and so mean. He’s got skills, too. Point per game player. He was passed over in the last draft but he’s an August birthday. So he was one of the youngest players in the last draft. He’s something like 6wks older than Carter Yakemchuk, as an example. But he’s 6’5, throws the weight around, can fight, PK and provide some offense.

He’s been injured a while. Will miss most or all of the second half of the season. And he’s in his second year of draft eligibility. So I think there’s a chance he’s there for our 3rd rounder.

Reminds me a ton of the bottom six forwards that Vegas loves to load up on.

There’s a lot of Jack McBain in this guy. Like a winger version of McBain in many ways.

Reactions: hbk and Summer Rose

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Thoughts on Colton Roberts?
I'm interested in him with a 2nd if we don't get Levshunov/Yakemchuk/Jiricek.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thoughts on Colton Roberts?
I'm interested in him with a 2nd if we don't get Levshunov/Yakemchuk/Jiricek.
Funny. Was just talking about him in discord. I’ve been going back and watching his head to heads with Harrison Brunicke. I like both as 2nds. I like Brunicke better.

I do like Roberts. He moves well for a big kid and I really like him on the PP. He seems to want to engage physically and has the will and the tools to be a good defender. But I do think he’s still a little raw in this regard. He can be overconfident and get himself into trouble and he can also be a bit of a spazz. Haha.

I think I maybe prefer Brunicke. Who generally seems a lot smoother, without giving up anything in the upside department.

I’m really trying to go back and watch some head-to-heads and get a handle on how I’d rank the many appealing CHL blueliners in that 2nd round range. I think I have Brunicke ahead of Roberts. I want figure out Spencer Gill (RIM) vs Tomas Lavoie (CB) and Lukas Fischer (SAR) vs Luca Marrelli (OSH), as well.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think I like both Brunicke and Roberts more than Elick. I love Elick’s, size, strength, skating, and physical aggression combo. But he handles the puck like a hand grenade.

I have a hard time projecting a kid who struggles so much with a basic fundamental. He should be able to figure it out. And if he does figure it out, maybe he’s the better prospect. But I don’t have the eye for that kind of evaluation. Someone who actually knows how to scout and actually knows about hockey would have to do that. I see a kid who makes me cringe whenever he touches the puck. And that’s too much for me to ignore.

D4AEBBB2-6D90-4918-BCA8-A784E117B48D.jpeg

I did a mock draft where I just ignored everything and simply picked personal favorites.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yakemchuk got his 30th tonight. Incredible.

I watched the Spartans vs Wolverines game. Amazing to see a draft eligible defenseman play such a large role in the Big 10 championship game. It was a mixed bag performance. The usual for Levshunov. Jaw dropping plays. And head scratching plays. He’s an absolute horse of a player though and the upside is huge. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was our 1st rated D and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was our 4th rated D.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Regarding tank vs winning meaningless games - I want to win.

I think we're walking away with either Lindstrom, Silayev or Yakemchuk, regardless of how many games we win down the stretch. I'm good with that. Actually, I'm thrilled with that.

I'm not so thrilled with how the season has gone and I don't want it getting any more rotten.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Regarding tank vs winning meaningless games - I want to win.

I think we're walking away with either Lindstrom, Silayev or Yakemchuk, regardless of how many games we win down the stretch. I'm good with that. Actually, I'm thrilled with that.

I'm not so thrilled with how the season has gone and I don't want it getting any more rotten.
I don't think Silayev is viable. Lindstrom could be available at our current pre-lottery 5 slot.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Have kept going back and forth between Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, parekh, and Buium.

I think I kinda want parekh and there’s probably the least chance we pick him. I think Yakemchuk is good but I think he’s more in the 10-15 range, but so was Simashev imo and look what happened.

Reactions: DustyDangler

rt

May 13, 2004
Have kept going back and forth between Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, parekh, and Buium.

I think I kinda want parekh and there’s probably the least chance we pick him. I think Yakemchuk is good but I think he’s more in the 10-15 range, but so was Simashev imo and look what happened.
Over the last week I've watched games from Levshunov, Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuk and Parekh. And they're basically impossible to rank with any kind of confidence.

I’ve only seen 3-4 games from Levshunov this year. More like 10 for Buium. A dozen for Dickinson (I watched two last night) and twice that for both Yakemchuk and Parekh. Silayev, I watched all of his MHL playoff games last year, and will be watching his MHL playoffs from this year eventually. But I haven’t watched his KHL games this season outside of shift-by-shifts and highlight packages. I guess I’ve watched all the highlights and scouting videos for all six, really. Not just Silayev. And I listen to all the prospect podcast, too.

All six are so incredibly different from one another and yet so incredibly close in terms of quality as prospects.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
My preference in order is Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium and then Yakemchuk. Haven't seen many games, just YouTube videos and podcasts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad