Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Those definitely look like our last four 1sts (But, Simashev, Lamoureux, Geekie). Though, less like our first two 1sts (Cooley, Guenther).
BA's draft history since 21

USHL: 9
Russia: 5
WHL: 4
QMJHL: 3
Finnish: 3
Sweden: 2
DEL: 2
Swiss: 1
Highschool: 1
Norway: 1

Based on draft history, I can see us targeting WHL and Russia guys early, while getting mid-round picks from the USHL again. Of course, there are a good amount of top-end prospects from the WHL this season, which makes it easier.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I’ve thought about this, too. It’s strange given BA himself was an OHLer. At this point I’m willing to call it a coincidence. Small sample. But if another year goes by, it’s going to be highly suspect. It feels…not intentional. Why would we draft so heavily out of the Q but not the O?
Its probably a consequence of the OHL being more heavily scouted - BA and the scouts have OHL players on their list but they are getting picked earlier due to a larger scouting presence in and around Ontario. Better "value" ends up being realized when kids are picked from other areas.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BA's draft history since 21

USHL: 9
Russia: 5
WHL: 4
QMJHL: 3
Finnish: 3
Sweden: 2
DEL: 2
Swiss: 1
Highschool: 1
Norway: 1

Based on draft history, I can see us targeting WHL and Russia guys early, while getting mid-round picks from the USHL again. Of course, there are a good amount of top-end prospects from the WHL this season, which makes it easier.
Good news for me.

My Favorites:

1. Yakemchuk - WHL
  2. Lindstrom - WHL
  3. Brandsegg-Nygard - SWE
  4. Surin - RUS
  5. Chernyshov - RUS
  6. Luchanko - OHL
  7. Miettinen - WHL
  8. Solberg - NOR
  9. Lavoie - QMJHL
  10. Howe - WHL
  11. Wetsch - WHL
  12. Thorpe - WHL
  13. Brunet - QMJHL
  14. Taimazov - RUS

Give me Yakemchuk with our 1st, Miettinen with our 2nd, Lavoie with the Caps 2nd, Wetsch with the Florida 2nd, Thorpe with our 3rd, Misskey with the Oilers 3rd and Brunet with the Avs 3rd.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Good news for me.

My Favorites:

1. Yakemchuk - WHL
  2. Lindstrom - WHL
  3. Brandsegg-Nygard - SWE
  4. Surin - RUS
  5. Chernyshov - RUS
  6. Luchanko - OHL
  7. Miettinen - WHL
  8. Solberg - NOR
  9. Lavoie - QMJHL
  10. Howe - WHL
  11. Wetsch - WHL
  12. Thorpe - WHL
  13. Brunet - QMJHL
  14. Taimazov - RUS

Give me Yakemchuk with our 1st, Miettinen with our 2nd, Lavoie with the Caps 2nd, Wetsch with the Florida 2nd, Thorpe with our 3rd, Misskey with the Oilers 3rd and Brunet with the Avs 3rd.
That is a solid list. I am big fan of Howe as well. I have watched him live a few times, and he always sticks out. Love his compete-level game after game. He seems to rarely take a game off

Reactions: rt

rt

May 13, 2004
Zeev Buium is looking phenomenal. His skating is crazy, he’s so strong and smart. Unbelievable talent. Works hard, plays tough. Average sized and doesn’t have that separation gear in open ice, but he’s got basically everything else you could want. Apart from not being right shot. Ugh! It’s incredibly difficult to rank these defensemen! One day I want to put Levshunov first. Then Dickinson. Now Buium.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Zeev Buium is looking phenomenal. His skating is crazy, he’s so strong and smart. Unbelievable talent. Works hard, plays tough. Average sized and doesn’t have that separation gear in open ice, but he’s got basically everything else you could want. Apart from not being right shot. Ugh! It’s incredibly difficult to rank these defensemen! One day I want to put Levshunov first. Then Dickinson. Now Buium.
Coyotes are going to get a very good D prospect (as long as they dont win out the rest of the season).

Simashev
Buium
Lamoureux
Moser
Durzi
Suber
Kolyochonok

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Next week you'll go with Silayev after convincing yourself that he'll become an elite shutdown D with some offensive skills.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He’s taking a tumble. No production at all in the MHL playoffs is worrisome. He might be an elite shut down D. Those shouldn’t be top five picks.
I agree, but I'd rather draft an elite shut down D at our current position than a d-man, no matter how talented, who can't play D.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think he's tumbling right into Bill's lap.

He had that hot streak to begin the KHL season. That alone made him the highest scoring draft-eligible D in league history. The skills and instincts are there.

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree, but I'd rather draft an elite shut down D at our current position than a d-man, no matter how talented, who can't play D.
Fair. So not Parekh? Haha. I think Buium and Dickinson are really good defensively. Especially Dickinson. I think Yakemchuk has elements of his game that are really good defensively and elements he really needs to work on. Don’t think he qualifies as bad defensively. Levshunov, like everything else, comes down to consistency and controller unplugged moments. Sometimes he’s good defensively. Sometimes he’s horrible.

I think he's tumbling right into Bill's lap.

He had that hot streak to begin the KHL season. That alone made him the highest scoring draft-eligible D in league history. The skills and instincts are there.
He looks in these MHL playoffs like he looked in the last MHL playoffs. Like an elite shutdown type.

None of Silayev, Simashev or Lamoureux look like PP1 players. They don’t look like final minute, down by one goals types.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
Dickinson’s production these playoffs has been very disappointing. But I’ve watched 5.5 of his 6 playoff games so far and I’ve been so impressed with him. The stats don’t tell the story. I think I like him better than Silayev, Levshunov and Parekh.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Dickinson’s production these playoffs has been very disappointing. But I’ve watched 5.5 of his 6 playoff games so far and I’ve been so impressed with him. The stats don’t tell the story. I think I like him better than Silayev, Levshunov and Parekh.
That's where I am, or was. Safe is a weak word to describe Dikinson. He has the fewest amount of flaws of those guys. I'm staying away from Silayev and maybe replacing him with Buium.

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site
Quick question, does the draft philosophy change with quickest NHL ready now a higher priority?
Obvious, last year the draft team was OK drafting guys that could and would take a few extra years to make it the NHL. Will the new owner want NHL ready players faster if possible?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Like I said in a different thread, I think Bill is persuasive and will be able to show his new boss that he's already following the right path.

Utah fans will be spoiled with lots of young talent breaking into the league over the next few years. They might have to be patient waiting for Silayev / Lindstrom / Yakemchuk.

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
Quick question, does the draft philosophy change with quickest NHL ready now a higher priority?
I don’t think so. The GM is a scout. Scouts don’t think like that. They want the best assets, I think.
Obvious, last year the draft team was OK drafting guys that could and would take a few extra years to make it the NHL. Will the new owner want NHL ready players faster if possible?
I think it’s more likely they just trade more 2nds for more NHL ready assets. Like McBain and Durzi.

Or they could combine picks to trade up for better picks.

I’d love to see us pick up a defenseman (Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuk or Levshunov please!) with our 1st and then trade a pair of 2nds to move back up for one of these center prospects I really like (Surin, Luchanko, or Miettinen).

rt

May 13, 2004
Like I said in a different thread, I think Bill is persuasive and will be able to show his new boss that he's already following the right path.

Utah fans will be spoiled with lots of young talent breaking into the league over the next few years. They might have to be patient waiting for Silayev / Lindstrom / Yakemchuk.
Yakemchuk is very old for this class. And is AHL eligible after next season. I think he could be a good bet to make an impact sooner than most.

I think Dickinson is another that qualifies because he’s got the frame, the feet and the NHL style game. He could take the Chychrun fast-track and bypass the AHL.

Buium, of course, is not subject to the CHL/AHL agreement and doesn’t have a whole lot to prove as an amateur after this incredible season. But I suspect he’s going to be the 1st defenseman off the board. So unless we win the lottery for 2nd overall, I don’t think he’s got much of a shot at being drafted by us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad