Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I saw Scott Wheeler had Lindstrom ranked 11th, which is why I thought there was a chance he'd be available where the Devils pick. But @Guadana is right, it looks like he's expected to go top-3 or 4.

And if Helenius isn't likely to be a center, I'll take one Michael Hage please.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I saw Scott Wheeler had Lindstrom ranked 11th, which is why I thought there was a chance he'd be available where the Devils pick. But @Guadana is right, it looks like he's expected to go top-3 or 4.

We all want center. Really hard. But top-15 pick is for BPA.
Wheeler... he is Wheeler. He had Sanderson as #18 on 2020 draft.

And I would say Nygard and Chernyshov have some center potential. I thought the same about Yurov few years ago and look at him now - absolutely top-10 pick who is playing center role.
Helenius looks like player with NHL center potential and its more questionable is he top-6 center in NHL.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Wheeler isn’t a size queen but most NHL GMs are so players with size go fast.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Here is the problem with Eiserman, sometimes his compete level is low, sometimes its his hockey IQ.

I was listening to a prospects podcast, and they said he is super polarizing. He had a game where he shot the puck 18 times. I would call that effort, but at what point do use and trust your teammates. I also heard he squabbles with his teammates, he can be abrasive with scouts/media. I get the impression he is more blunt, than an butthole but thats a fine line.

Helenius would be my preferred prospect, but I wouldn’t be upset with Iginla or Nygard.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Just because the board is full of babies doesn't make it a children's board.
1712156732069.png

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Helenius isn’t as exciting as Iginla or Brandsegg-Nygard, who would seem to have much higher ceilings. However, I could warm up to this player. I know BPA is way to go but if all things are considered just about equal, give me the center. Will this kid be a center at the NHL level though?

EDIT- The article above talks about Helenius being a fantastic skater. Then later in the article it says he has no standout skills. Rather contradictory. I’ve read other analysts say his skating is average and has no definitive high end skills sans hockey IQ. Want to formulate an educated opinion.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Helenius isn’t as exciting as Iginla or Brandsegg-Nygard, who would seem to have much higher ceilings. However, I could warm up to this player. I know BPA is way to go but if all things are considered just about equal, give me the center. Will this kid be a center at the NHL level though?

EDIT- The article above talks about Helenius being a fantastic skater. Then later in the article it says he has no standout skills. Rather contradictory. I’ve read other analysts say his skating is average and has no definitive high end skills sans hockey IQ. Want to formulate an educated opinion.
His compete level is great. His skating is average, his speed is veery good or better. Most of his other skills are average or little above average. His positional game is very good. He reads the game very well, my vision of his "issue" is lack of accuracy.

I was too harsh on him before. Last games helped too. And @evnted marks helped me too watch closely on his game.
He is in my top 12 and I would be okay to draft by 9-10 pick(if top 8 players are not available).
I still have questions about his potential as top 6 center - again some lack of accuracy and average skating. As top 6 wingers I like Nygard and Chernyshov more. Nygard has great two way and scoring potential of complimentary player who is doing everything right and is creating plays.

Chernyshov has top line winger ceiling and goid middle six offensive winger floor.
I like Nygard floor more, I like Chernyshov ceiling(offensive part) more.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Its time for my 10th top-10 prospect of 2024 draft.

Igor Chernyshov

Three games of Igor Chernyshov

three more games

You will see how he will drop on the draft and how teams will regret about it.

6'2, 192

Chernyshov is a perfect player to draft for our center. He is hard shooting threat, he is very hard on the board, protect the puck really well - one of the best on the draft, he is skating really well, his starting/separating speed is very good, he is smart - he was coached really well and created a lot of combinations with his partners on the pace of the game - its a good option for a player who should potentially play with our smart centers. He is creating a lot of shots from different situations. And he is one of the rare players who work with the puck through traffic like no one - he is finding the puck and pushes it where he want to use it. He isnt perimeter player - he is driving the net, taking a lot of attention and he is very good passer to make the right pass under the pressure. He is competent positionally, takes away the puck from forwards, forechecking them and annoying on the boards. He is playing PK because he is doing good stick work without the puck. He isnt hard hitting player but he is very hard to play against. He isnt big dangler or trick handler but as I said before - Im not a big fan of the puck tricks because mostly they are working only for players of Jack Hughes level and players are much useful in tranches, puck protection is more important, as fast decision making. Overall he is good puck handler.

He was created to be great NHL player. And he was competent enough to play in KHL past season - he wasnt very shine, but he wasnt lost, he was competent in puck battles, didnt lose position etc.

He isnt as good as two way player as Nygard but he has more offensive ceiling.

And on my test with his great shooting and passing(not classic playmaking) and driving the net I think he has some potential as center, especially if he will play with playmaking winger. Last time I had the same feeling with Yurov, who was in my top-10, was drafted by Minnesota by 24 pick, and now he has 49 points in 62 games as 20 yo player and played a lot as center.
We will see how Chernyshov will drop because of lack of scouting from NHL teams.And all of Russian bias. And its fun because in 2024 there were the biggest amount of Russian players in NHL, they are continue to join NHL because no matter how media is trying to paint all of the situation - in reality USA are continuing to make a business with Russia as hard as they can. And hockey business isnt an exception - Russian players are traveling and playing in USA, north american players are traveling and playing in Russia. No matter do you like it or not.

Chernyshov should be drafted as top-10 - top-12 players with his abilities, it would not be a question for canadien player of the same skills and smarts. I dont think he will be our pick even if we will drop to 13-15 pick somehow. I still prefer to draft Dickinson, Buium and Silayev over him because we need in top-4 LD and top-4 two way defensemen or top-4 minutes eaters are more valuable than wingers. But I would draft Chernyshov over Helenius, because even if I like overall Helenius game, I have questions about his top-6 potential in NHL and I like Chernyshov combo of skating, size, skill and "puck work in the traffic" more than what Helenius can bring. I like Chernyshov more than Iginla. Of course I like him more than Eiserman - may be Eiserman shot is better but thats all, Chernyshov has more better tools for scoring in NHL and his compete level is much better. And I think he is no the same level with Nygard for me - Chernyshov has more interest as offensive forward, Nygard has better two way game, little better defensively/positionally on my taste.

If Devils will pick somewhere in between 10-12 and will draft Helenius or Nygard I will understand it - both are great two way players with interesting abilities. If Devils draft Iginla or (God, please, no) Eiserman, Parekh or Yakemchuk, or some Connely or Greentree guys - its because of lack of scouting or/and bias. Because Chernyshov is a better player. BPA. Fitz wasnt afraid to draft Mukhamadullin and it was a great pick for him, so I hope its not a problem for him and he is focusing on him as an option on the draft.

His goals video from year ago.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I want to know who's going to the next late round Artyom Barabosha.
Im cooking it. But you never know for how long some prospects will be available.

My first candidates are goalies Nabokov, Moiseevich (Nabokov should be drafted much earlier - second round, Moiseevich should be drafted in the middle of the draft), Zarubin and Saranchuk, and defenseman Shuravin(should be drafted earlier).

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Im cooking it. But you never know for how long some prospects will be available.

My first candidates are goalies Nabokov, Moiseevich (Nabokov should be drafted much earlier - second round, Moiseevich should be drafted in the middle of the draft), Zarubin and Saranchuk, and defenseman Shuravin(should be drafted earlier).
Barabosha still has a long way to go but I think I got more hyped when the Devils picked him then when they picked Nemec just because of how much we talked about him prior to the draft.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Nygard, Chernyshov, Iginla. One should be available(at least). All of them are skating fast enough, all of them are good shooters, all of them are physical, all of them are hard to play against.

Nygaard or Tij is who I want, Iginla would be the dream winger for Jack/Bratt and plus it'd be so f***ing cool to have Jarome's kid in Devils colors since his pops was associated with the Flames

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
Its time for my 10th top-10 prospect of 2024 draft.

Igor Chernyshov

Three games of Igor Chernyshov

three more games

You will see how he will drop on the draft and how teams will regret about it.

6'2, 192

Chernyshov is a perfect player to draft for our center. He is hard shooting threat, he is very hard on the board, protect the puck really well - one of the best on the draft, he is skating really well, his starting/separating speed is very good, he is smart - he was coached really well and created a lot of combinations with his partners on the pace of the game - its a good option for a player who should potentially play with our smart centers. He is creating a lot of shots from different situations. And he is one of the rare players who work with the puck through traffic like no one - he is finding the puck and pushes it where he want to use it. He isnt perimeter player - he is driving the net, taking a lot of attention and he is very good passer to make the right pass under the pressure. He is competent positionally, takes away the puck from forwards, forechecking them and annoying on the boards. He is playing PK because he is doing good stick work without the puck. He isnt hard hitting player but he is very hard to play against. He isnt big dangler or trick handler but as I said before - Im not a big fan of the puck tricks because mostly they are working only for players of Jack Hughes level and players are much useful in tranches, puck protection is more important, as fast decision making. Overall he is good puck handler.

He was created to be great NHL player. And he was competent enough to play in KHL past season - he wasnt very shine, but he wasnt lost, he was competent in puck battles, didnt lose position etc.

He isnt as good as two way player as Nygard but he has more offensive ceiling.

And on my test with his great shooting and passing(not classic playmaking) and driving the net I think he has some potential as center, especially if he will play with playmaking winger. Last time I had the same feeling with Yurov, who was in my top-10, was drafted by Minnesota by 24 pick, and now he has 49 points in 62 games as 20 yo player and played a lot as center.
We will see how Chernyshov will drop because of lack of scouting from NHL teams.And all of Russian bias. And its fun because in 2024 there were the biggest amount of Russian players in NHL, they are continue to join NHL because no matter how media is trying to paint all of the situation - in reality USA are continuing to make a business with Russia as hard as they can. And hockey business isnt an exception - Russian players are traveling and playing in USA, north american players are traveling and playing in Russia. No matter do you like it or not.

Chernyshov should be drafted as top-10 - top-12 players with his abilities, it would not be a question for canadien player of the same skills and smarts. I dont think he will be our pick even if we will drop to 13-15 pick somehow. I still prefer to draft Dickinson, Buium and Silayev over him because we need in top-4 LD and top-4 two way defensemen or top-4 minutes eaters are more valuable than wingers. But I would draft Chernyshov over Helenius, because even if I like overall Helenius game, I have questions about his top-6 potential in NHL and I like Chernyshov combo of skating, size, skill and "puck work in the traffic" more than what Helenius can bring. I like Chernyshov more than Iginla. Of course I like him more than Eiserman - may be Eiserman shot is better but thats all, Chernyshov has more better tools for scoring in NHL and his compete level is much better. And I think he is no the same level with Nygard for me - Chernyshov has more interest as offensive forward, Nygard has better two way game, little better defensively/positionally on my taste.

If Devils will pick somewhere in between 10-12 and will draft Helenius or Nygard I will understand it - both are great two way players with interesting abilities. If Devils draft Iginla or (God, please, no) Eiserman, Parekh or Yakemchuk, or some Connely or Greentree guys - its because of lack of scouting or/and bias. Because Chernyshov is a better player. BPA. Fitz wasnt afraid to draft Mukhamadullin and it was a great pick for him, so I hope its not a problem for him and he is focusing on him as an option on the draft.

His goals video from year ago.

Russki?? SOLD!

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nygaard or Tij is who I want, Iginla would be the dream winger for Jack/Bratt and plus it'd be so f***ing cool to have Jarome's kid in Devils colors since his pops was associated with the Flames
I think Chernyshov has highest ceiling because of the combo of smarts, physicals, starting speed and skills - like I said he is the best puck handler through the traffic.
Tij isn't the player people think about him on my taste. He is much more offensive complimentary producer(I don't think he is driver, but his motor, passing and shooting are on the very good level and he is doing it better and better. With his forecheck he should be great NHLer). Anf big part what he is doing now will be limited by level of competition. But big part of what he is doing is exactly what the doctor said.
Nygard is a perfect complimentary player for two way game, for defensive abilities, for supporting and firecjecking role, saving the puck and creating more dangerous situations. But his lack of playmaking and driving can limit his offensive potential. He is very good shooter, but he isn't as good as all around creator as Chernyshov and Iginla, still better two way player.
Chernyshov and Nygard are doing well on the men level, both are more disciplined, especially Nygard. Iginla is more dynamic and chaotic, still another level of competition, but I like him and I think he is a good pick outside top 8.

As good as I think that his game is more translatable than Cattons. Cattons ceiling is higher. But his skating is average or little above average, he is playing very perimeter playmaking game, his legs are not strong, he is trying to trick out from defensemen and his puck handling isn't on the level to do it on nhl level, he is avoiding of physical battle. I see a lot of problems for Catton to be NHL top six two way center. May be center overall. He should be very productive playmaker, but now I'm watching what Chernyshov and Iginla and I see how both are creating plays through the fire and smoke, how Nygard and Chernyshov are working positionally, how Iginla and Chernyshow are annoying for opponents, how Nygard is accurate defensively.

And I didn't mentioned Helenius, who is less accurate, but pest.

Its a very hot take and its a big gamble from my side, but I like this two way guys more personally. I think Catton has this 70-80 points potential with even better ceiling as playmaker, but his limitations is what will stop him from being great two way contributor / drive center. He will be better than this guys, but some of this guys or a couple will hit their dealing and they will be much more awesome players in NHL.
Iginla shouldn't be father esque player, but offensive producing and forechecking part with his weeks should help him with producing in every game.
Chernyshov has potential of power winger with skills and smarts. Nichyushkin in his best, not in his worsts, Chernyshov is much smarter player with much better stick work that Nychushkin was.
Helenius has Nick Suzuki potential.
Nygard is interesting case because I can't remember this type of disciplined two way scorer.

Overall I'm not a fan of this comparisons, but the better thing we can do is watching their tapes - they are on YouTube and hope that Fitz will understand that pure offensive players with shiny one way game don't work well in NHL, that offensive ceiling is real for players who can help themselves with their offensive abilities only by two way and forechecking game. Because without it they are losing the chances, can't create space etc. And its working as for personals, as for teams - this year Devils show that its not enough to be just a good shooter, its important to help themselves and to the team every minute and every meter of the game.

I think that Devils will have 9-12 pick and the math of this draft is showing that there are will be great player to draft no matter what. Player with interesting floor and ceiling in the same time. Its a very good draft to have top-12/15 pick. I just hope that scouts are doing good job and Fitz has a vision to make right decision.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Barabosha still has a long way to go but I think I got more hyped when the Devils picked him then when they picked Nemec just because of how much we talked about him prior to the draft.
He played in KHL this season and did it competently overall. 21 game, 10:45 TOI. Its more than a lot of our earlier picks will ever did - like third rounder Vukojevich or fourth rounder Bernard.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and Xirik

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Me, too. I remain a big fan of Barabosha. No time to look at my notes right now but I had him as a high 2nd round pick, so naturally I was thrilled when we nabbed him in the 7th.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just read up on Trevor Connelly. McLeod incident or not, this player would be on my do not draft list. Don’t care about the talent…racism and ethnic slurs have no place in hockey or anywhere.
the Hockey News write up on him makes it sound like he's repentant and actually taken steps to grow. They also suggest he was "cleared" of using a racial slur prior to starting in the USHL. It's tricky when dealing with teenagers. When did these things happen? Was he 14 or 15? I'm reluctant to tell someone to go wait tables for what might just have been a stupid mistake. With proper vetting a team can make a smart determination. If he's harboring ill will or racist beliefs those will come out but Tony DeAngelo is still in the league so I'm not sure teams care all that much.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Athletic article had some other interesting tidbits on Connelly.

But Connelly’s frequent moves and short tenures at prominent hockey programs have also been flagged by teams. While it is not unusual for top prospects to move to a new program in search of a better situation, Connelly’s well-traveled career stands out. Between the ages of roughly 13 and 17, he was a member of seven different programs, and that included two stops where he stayed less than a month. To understand what might be behind those frequent moves, The Athletic spoke to more than 40 people (players, parents, coaches and others) who interacted with Connelly during his playing career.

Connelly played six seasons for the Anaheim (Calif.) Jr. Ducks, ending with the 2018-19 season when Connelly was around 13, and The Athletic interviewed more than a dozen parents who had a child who was a teammate of Connelly’s during at least one of those seasons. Ten of those parents said they witnessed behavior by Connelly that they considered troubling, and eight of those 10 parents described Connelly’s actions as bullying.

Four parents said they saw Connelly punch a teammate during practice; three of those parents said they saw it happen multiple times. It was usually in response to Connelly getting frustrated, those three parents say, such as when he lost a puck battle or a teammate wouldn’t allow him to cut in line during a drill. Five parents said he would slash teammates with his stick out of frustration. Four of those five parents said they also saw him slew-foot players — trip an opponent from behind with a leg or foot.

Parents said Connelly also picked on some teammates in the locker room and away from the rink. He seemed to focus on players who were small in stature and/or were among the less talented members of the team, according to eight parents. He would make fun of their appearance, tell them they were not good players and that they didn’t belong on the team, among other insults. “He wasn’t just a troublemaker; it wasn’t just that. He was mean,” said one parent.

One mother said her son avoided team activities, like bus rides or team meals, to avoid being around Connelly more than was necessary. Another mother said her son asked to not stay at the team hotel because he didn’t want to be around Connelly. Yet another parent said she went so far as to ask her son to assist a player Connelly repeatedly picked on. “It’s frustrating when you have to tell your kid to protect his teammate from another teammate,” she said. Two players left the Anaheim Jr. Ducks program prior to or during or the 2017-18 season in part because of how they were treated by Connelly, according to three parents associated with that program.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Athletic article had some other interesting tidbits on Connelly.
I was many times on the other side (because of last name and I was kind person from normal happy family) and even in internet because there are people who doesnt like visitors from the outside. But I think every man and woman has a right to improve themselves. They need to admit their mistakes.
From organisation point of view I would not use first round pick on him. Because character is the most important "skill".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad