2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
My feeling is the hawks pick Dman this year outside of celebrini. They sit in juniors next year then hawks get another top 5 pick next year and pick that 2C ( i dont know if its a C heavy draft)
2025 is a C heavy draft per Wheeler's rankings a couple weeks ago. and some size too.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If we can't get Celebrini or Demidov in the draft, a defenseman makes a ton of sense. The top 2 are a lot better than the rest of the top 10 picks imo. Our young defenseman pool is pretty stocked and our forwards are questionable.

Next years draft is looking like a good one too. It's still a year out and still very much unpredictable. I don't think James Hagens is the unanimous #1 oa. Frondell and Ryabkin look really good. It might be a year where the #1 OA isn't decided like the 2022 draft

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Ok...now just 10 games remaining for the Hawks...so I continue my hit the Tankathom Draft Sim button forctge 3rd attempt since I started at the final Dirty Dozen countdown before the 12th then12th game remaining.

So

1st try = Hawks 4th (bumped down 2)
2ndtry = Hawks 3rd (bumped down1)

Now resukt from 3rd attempt = Hawth 4th
(with MTL getting 1st,and Arizona 2nd).

Looks like the hockey gods( a .k.a. the Tankathon algorithm) has it in for the Hawks this time.

So 9 more hit the button attempts to go
...do not get your Celebrini hopes up.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
If we can't get Celebrini or Demidov in the draft, a defenseman makes a ton of sense. The top 2 are a lot better than the rest of the top 10 picks imo. Our young defenseman pool is pretty stocked and our forwards are questionable.

Next years draft is looking like a good one too. It's still a year out and still very much unpredictable. I don't think James Hagens is the unanimous #1 oa. Frondell and Ryabkin look really good. It might be a year where the #1 OA isn't decided like the 2022 draft

I think every published ranking for next year has Hagens #1.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If you have not seen the YouTube by Hadid Kalakeche on hos Top 15 Prosoects (mid-season Topb32 (Partc2) =where he counts down from15( giving the most detailed scouting report on each player as to strength and weaknesses...what they project as to ceiling and floors) I thinknyouvshould take a look at it....

It probably is as close to my own rankings as any I I have looked at..

Hawks need only be concerned with a top 5 but most likely a top 4...I do not think they can catch ANH forc3rd last and thus risk getting bumped down to #5 in the worst case scenario....but morel ikely they maintain 2ndvkast and a worst case of bumped down to 4th.

But I will report his top 6 anyway:

6.Zeev Buuim
5.Berkly Catton
4.Cayden Lindstrom
3.Zayve Parekh
2.Ivan Denidov
1.Macklin Celebrini

He has Parekh as the best dman prospect in the draft ...view and listen to his explanation why.

I agree ..hexsaysxOarekh has potential to be an 80 points + NHL dman and he shows on video why the defensive concerns about Parekh are nowhere near the truth.. that he is very godcnow defensively(Parekh has realky improved over last season..Staggerng +39 is oro if that "defensive concerbs" are valid..If he were bad defensively that number would be mitigated doen towards a mere +10 or close to Zero.. but HK explains where Parekh is actually quite good defensively...But he is #3overall because hevis the best offensive dman i the class ..

He is correct...parekh has the best shotcof any dnan in this draft..He will score goals but also has such skilk in passing the puck that an 80 points plus super star dman is very feasible for a ceiling..His defending in closing off gaps andentries is very good..and this sesson he has got much better at moving guys from the crease..as he gets stringer that shoukd jeep on improving.. His skatibgvis so goid that he can stay on the check ratger than get left behind ....HK suggests he is the most poised of all the dmen when pressured...(In contrast he is not impressed by Silayev's lack ofvpiuse when pressured ...HK likes Buuim enough to rank him6th overall and 2nd best dman prospect...but he thinks Parekh hasxa hogher production ceiling...Buuimm =60+ pts ceiling...and Oarekh 80pts +ceiling.

I too now have Buuim ahead of Levshunov ...whobusxa solid fibe RD prospect .but nobody has tge ceiling Parekh does..

So I think HK has this right.

He has Levshunov at #7.

NOW in terms of talent +tenacity Demodov is the next BPA after Celevrini ..

Cekebrini projects as a1C(butvon the Hawks he would be a 2C)...

Demidov projects as a TE not as a Center according to HK...as his ceikingbis 90 pts + according to HK..

However there are the Rusdian factor questions and tge Hawkscifcthey draft 2nd,have never been a Russian shop lije sonevotger NHL teams...so thereviscthat ...Plus tge question of whether you build a Cup contender with 2 top Cebters or 1C and 1top W or with a superstar top producing Dman ...especialkyca coveted RD shot.

This is why IF Hawks draft 2nd the decision in my opinion is to grab either Lindstrom or Parekh..

From Hawks point of building the proper structure and balance on actual,my own preference would be;

1.Celebrini
2.Lindstrom
3.Parekh
4.Demidov
5.Buuim
I am concerned about Catton's size and not top level defensive game...

So to me the question is really do you grab 2nd best C in draft a unicorn with size power goal scoring tenacity and a physical edge and defensive game game...great 2C package to compliment Bedard and balance out the team style wise.OR do you grab a potentual superstar sky is tke limit Right Shot RD who has akso the best shot of any dman i the draft and who has improved dramatically defensiveky this season?

It would bea tough decision of Hawks draft 2nd or 3rd...If draft 4th or even 5th maybe they still could get Parekh or Lindstrom if a team draftibgvaheadvof them takes Demidov or maybe Levshunov or nerdsxa KD (Dickinson or Buuim who can play either LD or RD).

The most ibtetdstingvquestio if Hawks draftc2nd is therefore to Demidov or nor ...positionalky hard to find top Cs and top RD ...SURE KANEwasxaxstarcRW forctgexHawjs but never payed a lock of good defense..But I vtge goidcyears his production was so good you generally discounted the mitigatingvdefensive flaws...At least Denidov is a good defensive cjeckerxwith tenacity too...in NY case 4 very very goid prospectsvup at the tip of this draft.Hipe Hawks get 1 of these 4 but I think I'd be surprised ifJD went Russian..If he did,he could always claim he had him as the BPA after Celebrini.

Last edited:

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I know our goalie pool is supposed to be stocked but we should absolutely use a mid round pick on overager Ilya Nabokov. Playing in the same team as Kantserov and putting up huge numbers

No idea for the context of his stats but seems to have as much potential as any goalie the last couple of years

Reactions: Muffinalt

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
2025 is a C heavy draft per Wheeler's rankings a couple weeks ago. and some size too.
Hagens, Hensler, Frondell, Misa, Ryabkin, Martone, McQueen...Wozniak, Amico. Chicago will get two good picks again next year. This rebuild is about to get fun.

Martone would be a great fit in this line-up as a skilled power forward. He was excellent for Team Canada and Mississauga this season

I know our goalie pool is supposed to be stocked but we should absolutely use a mid round pick on overager Ilya Nabokov. Playing in the same team as Kantserov and putting up huge numbers

No idea for the context of his stats but seems to have as much potential as any goalie the last couple of years
Moysevich looks like more of an NHL goalie.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Not big enough.

Also I don't want to draft any more goalies. Commesso and Gajan are enough.

You can keep taking flyers on Soderblom types (Euro UFAs) in the mean time. No point in burning picks.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Not big enough.

Also I don't want to draft any more goalies. Commesso and Gajan are enough.

You can keep taking flyers on Soderblom types (Euro UFAs) in the mean time. No point in burning picks.
Using a pick say after the 3rd round doesn't really count as burning a pick, like what are the odds of those players panning out regardless.

I think 1 goalie a draft for us makes quite a bit of sense right now. Gajan's athletic and talented but his numbers have regressed and Commesso's never really shown true 1A starter upside. Goalie's are just so voodoo and hard to predict that I personally think we need couple more.

Don't know enough about this Nabokov kid to really comment, but I'll say that he's only an inch shorter than Shesterkin

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
If we are targeting goalies with assets, go for Askarov when Saros re-ups in Nashville. Not that I think we have what they'd want (as they probably want more NHL-ready talent and wouldn't move him in the division) but I'd rather spend picks on a more proven goalie like Askarov than drafting and praying given that we have some prayers in the pipeline already.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
If we are targeting goalies with assets, go for Askarov when Saros re-ups in Nashville. Not that I think we have what they'd want (as they probably want more NHL-ready talent and wouldn't move him in the division) but I'd rather spend picks on a more proven goalie like Askarov than drafting and praying given that we have some prayers in the pipeline already.
I wonder what Spencer Knight would cost. He doesn't have much future in FLA

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'd be very surprised if Nashville trades Askarov within the division.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think every published ranking for next year has Hagens #1.
Things are always changing. Pronman was on a podcast discussing the 2025 draft and he mentioned Hagens wasn't looking as good as scouts expected him to be. He said the race was pretty open and Frondell was gaining steam. I'm just saying the door is wide open for #1 oa next year. Hagens size also doesn't do him many favors.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
The more I watch Zeev Buium play the more convinced I am he will end up being a legit NHL player and likely top 3 pick in this draft. I would move heaven and earth for Blackhawks to move up using Tampa 1st, 2nd rd picks and even dangle the 1st from next yr to get him. I am convinced he is the next version of Quinn Hughes or Fox type Dman.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Red Dog God & brother @Rooh will come to the rescue once again...
200.gif

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So now just 9 games remaining for tgexHawks...

I just ran the 4th consecutive try hitting the Tankathon NHL Draft Simulator since I started the countdown from thex12th game remaining..

So far Hawks draft 4th 2 result sand 3rd 1 result.

Now on the 4th attempt I got another drafting 3rd result...

After next game there will be just 8 GR ...and I will run Tankathon Draft Sim again to get 5th attempt result.

But the algorithm seems to hate a 2nd place finish in regular season...so far in 4 tries no movevup or stay in place for Hawks..

Unless Uncle Gary fixes it,you should expect a bump down of 1 or 2 at about equal 50-50 chance for either..
But we shall see if Hawks get even 1 bump up in the 12 attempts..We should get 2 or occasionally 3 in any 12 attempt s ..but so far none have manifested...

So we shall see if the algorithm is honest or ifvtgerevisxsone glitch with a bias against dropping gvtgec2nd place finisher beyond what should be rightful chance to movebip or stYin position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad