• Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I find people will often underestimate someone's ceiling if their floor is high and vice versa.

The whole Sennecke vs Iggy/Lindstrom thing kinda reminds of Broberg vs Seider. The majority of people in 2019 thought Seider was Seidenberg 2.0 and Broberg was a future superstar.

And then there was also KK vs Tkachuk. Most of us pretty much thought Brady Tkachuk was high floor/ low ceiling

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Same thing happens every year... Last 2 weeks of May and start of June people are freaking out over their favorite prospect in the draft lol. Very often people have lost perspective of what the players actually are and are hypnotized by what is often false narratives. Many players dropping... or rising... despite the fact they haven't played in a month :laugh:

If we get Iginla, awesome.
If we get Lindstrom, awesome.
If we get Buuim, awesome.
If we get Demidov which seems super unlikely, awesome.

Bottom line is we're gonna get an awesome player. We'll find out in a couple years if it was the right pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you take out the Russian factor, would Silayev be the second best player of the draft?

6’7” skates like Niedermayer. Hits like Pronger.

He will be a very good top 4D but goal scoring power from the point is lacking. Point totals are not that impressive.

Do you see top pairing quality? I see a stable and mean top 4D who will bring it physically.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Timmins is not entirely guilty or innocent for me. For me, it comes down to draft power and having that draft power in strong draft years.

2012 and 2013 did not have much talent. Two draft years where we had lots of draft power. He did find Lehkonen in the 2nd round of 2013. Go look at that draft.... not just our picks but the overall talent to be taken.

2014-2016 lacked draft power. Bad picks and lack of top quality picks (top 100 picks). Sergachev was a great pick in 2016.

Started to improve from 2017+ in draft power but by then, it was too late.

Bergevin miss calculated our depth from 2012+. Yeah, we had great top end pieces to build from but the depth after them sucked. Did you know that we only had 8 top 100 picks in 4 draft years from 08-11? Compare those to the last few years and it's staggering to see the difference.
Habs had 3 picks in top 61 in the generational 2003 draft - only the 1980 draft topped the number of HOFers…that was a killer

11-picks and only Halak had a 7+ year NHL career

Last edited:

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Cayden Lindstrom is a bad skater? Okay.
It's actually insane that people think this lol, it's actually quite similar to what people were saying about Leo Carlsson last draft. He looks awkward because he is a 6`4 teenager but he flies and can move quite well laterally. The fact he moves his feet so quickly for a guy his size is freightening. He's a freak athlete.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's actually insane that people think this lol, it's actually quite similar to what people were saying about Leo Carlsson last draft. He looks awkward because he is a 6`4 teenager but he flies and can move quite well laterally. The fact he moves his feet so quickly for a guy his size is freightening. He's a freak athlete.

Most arm chair scouts are terrible skating evaluators and I include myself in this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is me if Iggy is on the board and we actually draft him
giphy.gif

This is me if Iggy is taken 2-4 range (before us)
giphy.gif

This is me if Iggy is still on the board and we don't take him
giphy.gif

I find people will often underestimate someone's ceiling if their floor is high and vice versa.

The whole Sennecke vs Iggy/Lindstrom thing kinda reminds of Broberg vs Seider. The majority of people in 2019 thought Seider was Seidenberg 2.0 and Broberg was a future superstar.

And then there was also KK vs Tkachuk. Most of us pretty much thought Brady Tkachuk was high floor/ low ceiling

Seider was a late mover like Iggy is (so was Reinbacher and Slaf). :naughty:

KK was a later mover but made his noise at the U18's primarily. Liiga numbers where meh and skating report was bad. :thumbd:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yep, he's got a short and choppy stride which isn't necessarily ideal but he's fast as hell and would probably be all-world if he hired Barb for a year.

There are things to criticize him about (tunnel vision, likelihood to play as a winger in the NHL), but skating is pretty far down the list.

Reactions: Favster

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Most arm chair scouts are terrible skating evaluators and I include myself in this.
I think a lot of us make the mistake overvaluing how things look rather than effectiveness. A perfect example is golfers, most of the top 15 players right now have a bit of an awkward looking move but are incredibly effective with it.

Luckily pro scouts won't make the same mistake (hopefully lol)

Lindstrom's size combined with his ludicrous footspeed make him a surebet to atleast being an above average skater at the next level. His combination of the size and footspeed reminds me of Rick Nash a bit, styliscally they are different players but their size and footspeed are similar IMO.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Bergevin miss calculated our depth from 2012+. Yeah, we had great top end pieces to build from but the depth after them sucked. Did you know that we only had 8 top 100 picks in 4 draft years from 08-11? Compare those to the last few years and it's staggering to see the difference.
He willingly went into the playoffs with Dale Weise as a top 6 option. I can’t forgive that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He willingly went into the playoffs with Dale Weise as a top 6 option. I can’t forgive that.

That's a good one :laugh:. With me, Bergevin gets more heat than Timmins. Timmins probably told him off in 2016 and said, stop trading picks away and give me more. Molson probably agreed and forced it. 2017+ is much better draft power. It's important.

Bergevin miscalculated the depth after Price, Subban, Patch, Pleky, Markov. Even if Chucky was a hit, the depth was just crapy after it. Leafs made this mistake as well. Depth after their "core" was horrible.

Habs are approaching a point where we want to move up again now. Depth is very good right now but we have a few quality holes to fill.

Reactions: Gustave

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think a lot of us make the mistake overvaluing how things look rather than effectiveness. A perfect example is golfers, most of the top 15 players right now have a bit of an awkward looking move but are incredibly effective with it.

Luckily pro scouts won't make the same mistake (hopefully lol)

Lindstrom's size combined with his ludicrous footspeed make him a surebet to atleast being an above average skater at the next level. His combination of the size and footspeed reminds me of Rick Nash a bit, styliscally they are different players but their size and footspeed are similar IMO.

Risky pick IMO but could make you look like a genius. Imagine going for Lindstrom (KK type with size) and passing on Iggy (Tkachuk).... AGAIN :ha:

Yes, Yes, I know... Lindstrom is a better skater than KK. Lindstrom does not have good play making or vision IMO. Half a season to evaluate with no U18's. Risky bud.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Risky pick IMO but could make you look like a genius. Imagine going for Lindstrom (KK type with size) and passing on Iggy (Tkachuk).... AGAIN :ha:

Yes, Yes, I know... Lindstrom is a better skater than KK. Lindstrom does not have good play making or vision IMO. Half a season to evaluate with no U18's. Risky bud.

I can see why Lindstrom gets some people excited. He offers a tremendous package and you see he has special tools take may make him a great player.

I still don't think his game away from the puck is as good as Iginla's. But I'd get it if we picked him. This is not the kind of prospect you find every year on a top 10.

That being said, I still am absolutely certain you can peg Iginla to be at the very least a top-6 forward. And you can see he's been watching tons of videos and that he's probably coached by his father, because his game is incredibly complete. His "bust potential" is very low.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can see why Lindstrom gets some people excited. He offers a tremendous package and you see he has special tools take may make him a great player.

I still don't think his game away from the puck is as good as Iginla's. But I'd get it if we picked him. This is not the kind of prospect you find every year on a top 10.

Very fair statement. I have Lindstrom in the top 10 but not the top 5. I'm not super low on him but I do see concerns. Injury season, no U18's to evaluate, and I don't think his vision/play making is good. He could be a big hit though. I have a wide range in ceiling/base with him. More than anybody in this top 10.

Others going to nit pick this as being nothing to worry about but he was a 3rd rounder entering the WHL draft. He is also a monster playing with kids in the CHL. That does stand out more than other leagues.

Yeah, that size/skating/shot package is attractive with Lindstrom. I just think Iggy will fill into his frame even more and provide the same but more.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

I don't see any similarities between KK and Lindstrom. Lindstrom already makes plays at a much faster pace than KK, his athleticism is incredible. KK has always been sluggish as much with his feet as his hands, we were counting on his execution speed increasing as he grew into his body which never happened unfortunately.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't see any similarities between KK and Lindstrom. Lindstrom already makes plays at a much faster pace than KK, his athleticism is incredible. KK has always been sluggish as much with his feet as his hands, we were counting on his execution speed increasing as he grew into his body which never happened unfortunately.

Which reminds me of a bet a lot of fans are willing to take with a prospect whose initials are B and S in this year's draft. No so much for the hands but for the rest of his game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I knew that was going to cause a distraction. Look past the similarities and consider who disappoints in this draft. Lindstrom is a candidate IMO.

Like I said, could be a real hit or not. Injury season, No U18's to evaluate, and play making/vision is not that good. Those are red flags for me. He's not a true type center. He is power forward winger who looked very very good against smaller CHL talent. Great skater with a great shot and works very hard.

I rather draft one of the D vs taking Lindstrom

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

Lindstrom plays more like Tkachuk than Iginla does.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

That being said, I still am absolutely certain you can peg Iginla to be at the very least a top-6 forward. And you can see he's been watching tons of videos and that he's probably coached by his father, because his game is incredibly complete. His "bust potential" is very low.
I am guilty when I see size. after all these years of the habs having so many smurfs

Reactions: Habssince89

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm really at ease because I doubt we end up with a player who doesn't move the needle for us. I'm not saying this is the 2003 draft or anything, but its a stronger draft than other years, and thankfully at 5OA we should be safe to at least get a strong addition, even if hindsight reveals who we passed on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hage has been climbing on some lists over the last month. He could go top 10-15 on draft day or be available at 20-25.
What would you think if they got Hage as their 2nd top 6 draftee in the first round? Virtually a given that they’ll land a forward with the 5 OA.

I’d love to see moves like this to start addressing the paucity of forwards in the system. Unless someone better than Hage drops to them somehow.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Imagine going for Lindstrom (KK type with size) and passing on Iggy (Tkachuk).... AGAIN :ha:
Other than the fact that Iggy isn't a pest on the ice, isn't very physical and doesn't fight, yea they are pretty similar...

:sarcasm:

Ironically, Lindholm is the closest thing to Brady Tkachuk at the top of this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad