• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd take Silayev and trade him later. A 6'7 guy that some teams see as a 1D will get you a much better forward than anything you pick at 5.
Yeah I have a hard time passing up on Silayev. Like really hard time. Buium is my #1 D in this draft, but we better be damn sure that the forward we pick is going to be a damn good player since a defense of: Guhle/Reinbacher/Hutson/Silayev/Mailloux/Xhekaj would be an absolute nightmare to play against in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd take Silayev and trade him later. A 6'7 guy that some teams see as a 1D will get you a much better forward than anything you pick at 5.

Risky. Why? Because as early as D+1, his value could drop... doesn't take a step forward. What are your impressions with Reinbacher in his D+1? Stable value, increased value or decreased value from being taken 5th?

Don't worry, There is many D to like but it's top 4D talk. Way too much top pairing talk in projections from this D. There is not going to be 3 or 4+ sure shot top pairing D in this draft.

I think we are too worried we might pass up on a top pairing stud.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
with #26 in the past years

2023 = Quentin Musty
2022 = Mesar
2021 = Lambos
2020 = Neighbours
2019 = Pelletier
2018 = Bernard-Docker
2017 = Oettinger
2016 = Tage Thompson

I mean we can land some decent players at that spot.
agreed but we don't do well at 26th historically. 2015 Juulsen

2014 Sherback at 26th one pick after Boston's which was Pasta at 25. Boston's pick is at 25 again this year but Sens own it

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Timmins really struggled with finding translatable NHL offence.

Timmins is not entirely guilty or innocent for me. For me, it comes down to draft power and having that draft power in strong draft years.

2012 and 2013 did not have much talent. Two draft years where we had lots of draft power. He did find Lehkonen in the 2nd round of 2013. Go look at that draft.... not just our picks but the overall talent to be taken.

2014-2016 lacked draft power. Bad picks and lack of top quality picks (top 100 picks). Sergachev was a great pick in 2016.

Started to improve from 2017+ in draft power but by then, it was too late.

Bergevin miss calculated our depth from 2012+. Yeah, we had great top end pieces to build from but the depth after them sucked. Did you know that we only had 8 top 100 picks in 4 draft years from 08-11? Compare those to the last few years and it's staggering to see the difference.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Risky. Why? Because as early as D+1, his value could drop... doesn't take a step forward. What are your impressions with Reinbacher in his D+1? Stable value, increased value or decreased value from being taken 5th?

Don't worry, There is many D to like but it's top 4D talk. Way too much top pairing talk in projections from this D. There is not going to be 3 or 4+ sure shot top pairing D in this draft.

I think we are too worried we might pass up on a top pairing stud.
Any prospects value could drop. This isn't an argument.

I've said since January, Silayev is my top rated D. He is the only one in this class I see as a guy with 1D potential, thus why he would be the only D I would even consider in this draft.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think what makes Iginla such a “high floor/low ceiling” player is the incredible maturity in his game. Like I honestly believe the subtleties in his game are beyond many current quality NHL wingers, you could put together a video for a hockey academy on how to play wing just using clips of Tij.

Some would say that is what limits his ceiling, given that he is so advanced already. But personally I think this advances his ceiling, his hockey IQ is rare for a winger prospect. Think like a Mark Stone or ROR (at wing), I believe he could out produce his ceiling. And I’ve said it before, but I think he has the Tkachuk advantage just his dad is Jarome Iginla. I could see Iginla being a comparable player to the Tkachuk brothers, albeit less of a dickhead- two guys who have shown they can outproduce their “ceiling” just by having highly advanced understandings of the game of hockey due to being raised by an all-star hockey player.

People might look at Lindstrom and think he has the higher ceiling, but from a pure PPG standpoint I think Iginla projects as the more productive NHLer.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
What are the opinions towards E Pettersson after this playoffs and past season? I'll get to my point of why I am asking this in this thread in a min. Pettersson went from 102 pts last year to 89 pts this past year. Had 18 pts in 17 playoff games in (19/20) but 6 pts in 13 playoff games this season.

This was Pettersson's age 25 season. He's in his prime now right? Is this a case of him not really being a playoff warrior or something else? I think he has limited ability to escape pressure with his skating and he is not that gritty to overcome it. 6'-2" and 185 lbs. His skating doesn't suck but it appears he is getting smothered when the going gets rough in the playoffs and time/space is reduced even more.

Still a darn good offensive player but this was missing for the Canucks in these playoffs. If this happened to our roster, we would be all over it.

Someone like W Johnston might not put up 100 pts (TBD... still young) but man, he's passing my eye test in compete/warrior. A force out there making things happen.

For these reasons, I think I would take Iggy over Demidov.
I really wouldn't recommend making draft decisions based on recent playoff performances of somewhat stylistically similar players. The NHL playoffs are more influenced by random bounces than probably any other sport.

I've seen Iginla panic shoot and give pucks away a number of times in tight situations in important games, and I've seen Demidov play with ice in his veins in the playoffs. I've also seen Iginla score clutch goals and Demidov do too much and give the puck away in crucial situations. I wouldn't use any of those situations to evaluate how they might do in the playoffs in the NHL.

Marner had one of the most dominant and clutch playoff performances I've ever seen in junior hockey back in 2016 and look at him now. Matthew Tkachuk was incredible in the same playoffs, was terrible in the playoffs for YEARS with Calgary, and is now amazing in the playoffs. There's really no solid predictor of playoff success.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any prospects value could drop. This isn't an argument.

I've said since January, Silayev is my top rated D. He is the only one in this class I see as a guy with 1D potential, thus why he would be the only D I would even consider in this draft.

Not an argument yes. But wasn't the question to take a D with our pick so we can trade them later? I don't agree with that.

Silayev and Levshunov are my guys who could reach top pairing quality in the NHL. The others look like top 4D's to me. I think both are gone in the 2-4 range. I can see Demidov slipping like Michkov last year.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think what makes Iginla such a “high floor/low ceiling” player is the incredible maturity in his game. Like I honestly believe the subtleties in his game are beyond many current quality NHL wingers, you could put together a video for a hockey academy on how to play wing just using clips of Tij.

Some would say that is what limits his ceiling, given that he is so advanced already. But personally I think this advances his ceiling, his hockey IQ is rare for a winger prospect. Think like a Mark Stone or ROR. I believe he could out produce his ceiling. And I’ve said it before, but I think he has the Tkachuk advantage just his dad is Jarome Iginla. I could Iginla being a comparable player to the Tkachuk brothers- two guys who have shown they can outproduce their “ceiling” just by having highly advanced understandings of the game of hockey due to being raised by an all-star hockey player.

People might look at Lindstrom and think he has the higher ceiling, but from a pure PPG standpoint I think Iginla projects as the more productive NHLer.
Oddly enough I'd feel more comfortable with Iginla at C than Lindstrom. I think he generates offense better from the middle, usually opts to carry the puck through the middle of the ice, and would be excellent at supporting deep in the defensive zone along the boards.

My major knock on him is his skating, but I think a skating coach and some strength training can turn that around within a couple years.

Not an argument yes. But wasn't the question to take a D with our pick so we can trade them later? I don't agree with that.

Silayev and Levshunov are my guys who could reach top pairing quality in the NHL. The others look like top 4D's to me. I think both are gone in the 2-4 range. I can see Demidov slipping like Michkov last year.
Levshunov is really tough to evaluate. With his work ethic and natural tools he looks like he could be a number 1, but each time I've watched him, I come away thinking he'd be much better as a number 3.

Somewhat ironically, I think you could find some very good stylistic pairing matches with the top 6 D in the draft.

Silayev-Parekh
Buium-Levshunov
Dickinson-Yakemchuk

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Some would say that is what limits his ceiling, given that he is so advanced already. But personally I think this advances his ceiling, his hockey IQ is rare for a winger prospect. Think like a Mark Stone or ROR (at wing), I believe he could out produce his ceiling. And I’ve said it before, but I think he has the Tkachuk advantage just his dad is Jarome Iginla. I could see Iginla being a comparable player to the Tkachuk brothers, albeit less of a dickhead- two guys who have shown they can outproduce their “ceiling” just by having highly advanced understandings of the game of hockey due to being raised by an all-star hockey player.

100% agree. I tried a few times to sit back and re look into Iggy's flaws over and over again. I just can't find any. The maturity in his game is well ahead of the curve.

Add this layer to it too. Others in the CHL ranked close to him have had one extra CHL year over him. His age 16 season was close to a half of season.

Iggy is on a rocket upward curve and is one of the youngest. He's got it all. IQ, Skill, Skating, Shot, Compete level, maturity.

Call me crazy but I'm starting to worry he might get taken 2-4 range.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oddly enough I'd feel more comfortable with Iginla at C than Lindstrom. I think he generates offense better from the middle, usually opts to carry the puck through the middle of the ice, and would be excellent at supporting deep in the defensive zone along the boards.

My major knock on him is his skating, but I think a skating coach and some strength training can turn that around within a couple years.

Levshunov is really tough to evaluate. With his work ethic and natural tools he looks like he could be a number 1, but each time I've watched him, I come away thinking he'd be much better as a number 3.

Somewhat ironically, I think you could find some very good stylistic pairing matches with the top 6 D in the draft.

Silayev-Parekh
Buium-Levshunov
Dickinson-Yakemchuk

It's possible that Iggy could end up at center but I have him as a play making winger with a very goods shot.

Who's major knock is skating? Iggy or Lindstrom? I actually have both of them as good skaters. Last thing I want to do is take another guy who needs work at skating (KK).

With this D group, I see a lot of top 4D safe projections. Hence why they are all ranked so high. Not because they are all top pairing quality. I think there is miss conception on that difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
It's possible that Iggy could end up at center but I have him as a play making winger with a very goods shot.

Who's major knock is skating? Iggy or Lindstrom? I actually have both of them as good skaters. Last thing I want to do is take another guy who needs work at skating (KK).

With this D group, I see a lot of top 4D safe projections. Hence why they are all ranked so high.
Iginla's skating needs some work in my view. He has excellent edges and balance, but his first few steps and top speed are lacking.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Iginla's skating needs some work in my view. He has excellent edges and balance, but his first few steps and top speed are lacking.

It's a fair statement with Iggy's first few steps and top end speed. This to me is the only reason why he is ranked after Celebrini and Demidov.

Personally, I value the edge work and cross overs more than top end speed. Iggy's ability to be deceptive and find the ice space advantages is off the charts for someone his age. His head is up when he is moving and he has the ability to make a pass or shift his body weight in a different direction on a dime. He makes players around him better vs the other way around.

Hockey IQ and ability to comprehend the areas to improve on is also key with development. Slaf has it and I think Iggy has it too. KK never had it.

How would you compare Iggy to Suzuki (pre draft) in terms of IQ and skating? I think Iggy has a better shot but the IQ and being deceptive is similar. Suzuki improved his shot a lot since his draft.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
If you take out the Russian factor, would Silayev be the second best player of the draft?

6’7” skates like Niedermayer. Hits like Pronger.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is just like Sophie's choice. Probably Iginla, I just have a good feeling about him.

Same here. I like others but I think Iginla has a chance to be very good at the NHL level. We have done this for years and we know that it's not about who they are today, it's about who they become. I just don't see stalled development with Iggy and I do see the potential in others that may have stalled D+1 and D+2 years. I'm not afraid of not taking those D one bit.

I just love his complete game. I actually think he is a Suzuki type pick. Very high IQ and skill and focuses at improving his entire game.

Translating his great draft year in the WHL to the U18's and not skipping a beat did it for me. Young age and one of the hottest trending. Probably reaches Suzuki's size and maybe a bit more. Ability to deal with contact. etc, etc.

Only thing that would make me think is if both Demidov and Iggy are on the board.

Reactions: CDN24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
New management with a different head scout.
It's not all bad Claude Lemieux was also a 26th overall, one of those with the Jets pick would be fine. Its a crap shoot just found it funny that boston's pick was at 25th again right before us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad