• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 15.7%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.7%

• Total voters

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm just happy that we're going to walk away with a solid prospect at #5. We're either going to get a solid forward or one hell of a dman. Should be a foundational piece for the team moving forward. We might not draft this early for another decade

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I didn't say you asked for three #1s but your opinion of selecting another d-man will load us up on d-men and ignore our biggest weakness forwards with high skill. Something that Nashville did.
It’s simple to see that the difference between Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux vs Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson is not even close to being greater than the difference between Mesar, Beck, Roy vs Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm just happy that we're going to walk away with a solid prospect at #5. We're either going to get a solid forward or one hell of a dman. Should be a foundational piece for the team moving forward. We might not draft this early for another decade

Yes. Like last year, we don't draft a top forward, but we drafted a very solid piece with David Reinbacher.

I'm very confident that Habs will select a another solid piece for building a winning team!

The progression of Slaf, help that rebuild. Guhle who have played 70 games, help the rebuild, he need to protect himself, but 70 games it's a good news for him. Dach if he stay healthy, that will help the rebuild aswell.

Reactions: Steve Shutt

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I’m saying Grant is the only person in the industry that would consider Sennecke above Lindstrom.

Basu was just covering all the bases like he always does.
It’s just a debate, which is fun to do.

And he said he had to pick a side for the sake of debating.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Thanks for the post.

But I love how most of his reply is ignored by the posters who want to draft a d-man. He also said he doesn't want to put a number on a player and thinks he's going to log lots of ice time. Also, he may be managing expectations.

It’s simple to see that the difference between Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux vs Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson is not even close to being greater than the difference between Mesar, Beck, Roy vs Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla.
Thank you!

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Buium, Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are all better prospects than Reinbacher for sure. I would argue Yakemchuk is as well. Parekh is where it starts to get questionable - I would probably go with Reinbacher because he’s just a safer bet, but I understand how some would take the gamble on Parekh’s offensive upside over Reinbacher.

Buium and Levshunov both just posted the two best seasons in the NCAA by draft eligible D since the 1980s. There is only one season ever better than Buium just had, and maybe 3-4 than Levshunov. All were in the 1980s before the NCAA was what it is today, so they are pretty meaningless. To put things in perspective, Quinn Hughes posted 26 points in his draft year. Levshunov just put up 36, and Buium just posted 50 and won the championship, shutting down guys like Hutson, Celebrini, and Leonard, Smith, Perreault, and Gauthier in the tournament. We have literally never seen a draft eligible D coming out of the NCAA like Buium before, both in terms of production and pedigree.

People like to claim that Silayev “has no offense”, but forget that he just played in the 2nd best league in the world as a 17 year old and broke the KHL record for points by a u18 player while playing 14 mins/game. And he didn’t look out of place at all defensively playing against men.

Dickinson is “vanilla”, sure, I can understand that. But “vanilla” as a defenseman is usually a good thing - see Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Doughty, Josi (until the last couple years), Hanifin, Dobson, etc. Dickinson is considered a defensive D, but put up over a point per game, is one of the best skaters in the draft, and has a Shea Weber/Sheldon Souray type of shot. He was also one of the biggest reasons why the Knights just won the OHL championship. His points per game this season was actually 9th best for his age in OHL history.

Yakemchuk just posted the highest goal total by a draft eligible WHL D since 2001-2002.

Parekh just put up the 3rd highest scoring season by a draft age D in OHL history. The two above him were both in the 1980s.

I can’t remember the last time there was a draft with so many D with this kind of pedigree and upside, if ever.

None of the forwards in the draft except maybe Celebrini have distinguished themselves relative to their peers like these D have. The Habs would be stupid to pass on that because of positional need and quantity in their prospect pool.

I don't think you realize how good Reinbachers draft year was, which one of these surefire better D prospects in this draft were a top pairing defenseman in a top men's pro league, scored at a historic rate there and then suited up for the Worlds and was their country's best D there before an injury?

You're over rating the draft years of this group and under rating the draft year of Reinbacher. If there were any sure fire top defenseman in this draft, the rankings from McKenzie would reflect that. You think Demidov would be ranked 2 behind sure fire defenseman with size? Come on.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
The pick of Jets is going 26 or 27 now. Vancouver need to lost their serie against Edmonton if we want 26.
Back to back 26+ with our second first round pick.... We are very unlucky. Make 0 difference to draft 26 or 27. i has hoping for a our second first round pick to be around 20-21

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't think you realize how good Reinbachers draft year was, which one of these surefire better D prospects in this draft were a top pairing defenseman in a top men's pro league, scored at a historic rate there and then suited up for the Worlds and was their country's best D there before an injury?

You're over rating the draft years of this group and under rating the draft year of Reinbacher. If there were any sure fire top defenseman in this draft, the rankings from McKenzie would reflect that. You think Demidov would be ranked 2 behind sure fire defenseman with size? Come on.
Historic? Like I said in the other post, Reinbacher and Josi are the only two D drafted out of the NL. Moser was an over-ager, and Siegenthaler played in the B league. So historic in that he’s the 2nd (and 2nd best, for that matter) draft eligible D taken out of the NL, not in terms of performance because there’s only one other player to compare against.

Silayev on the other hand, played in a superior league - the 2nd best league in the world, broke the records for both games played and points by a u18 player (a list that includes Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kaprizov, Nichushkin, Orlov, Michkov, Buchnevich, Kucherov, Panarin, Demidov) and looked better than Reinbacher did doing it. Not only that, but he led his team in several statistical categories. He’s also much bigger, much more physical, a better skater, has a better shot, and is more polished and poised defensively, as well as more proven. All at 17 years old.

You’re over rating Reinbacher massively solely because your favourite team drafted him.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Historic? Like I said in the other post, Reinbacher and Josi are the only two D drafted out of the NL. Moser was an over-ager, and Siegenthaler played in the B league. So historic in that he’s the 2nd (and 2 best, for that matter) draft eligible D taken out of the NL, not in terms of performance because there’s only one other player to compare against.

Silayev on the other hand, played in a superior league - the 2nd best league in the world, broke the records for both games played and points by a u18 player (a list that includes Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kaprizov, Nichushkin, Orlov, Michkov, Buchnevich, Kucherov, Panarin, Demidov) and looked better than Reinbacher did doing it. Not only that, but he led his team in several statistical categories. He’s also much bigger, much more physical, a better skater, has a better shot, and is more polished and poised defensively, as well as more proven. All at 17 years old.

OK

Reactions: Garbageyuk

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sure, because you have no counter argument because there isn’t one. Good talk.

No I've just been here long enough to know when someone has formulated an opinion they won't change and when its fruitless to discuss further.

Everything in the way you structured your argument was, no matter what you say to support your guy, I'm gonna pretend it doesn't matter.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No I've just been here long enough to know when someone has formulated an opinion they won't change and when its fruitless to discuss further.

Everything in the way you structured your argument was, no matter what you say to support your guy, I'm gonna pretend it doesn't matter.
I clearly stated exactly why I think he’s better and provided solid reasoning. Thats about as objective as it gets. You just don’t have a response. Thats ok.

And how is Silayev “my guy”? If anything, Reinbacher is my guy, but I’m not going to pretend he’s better just because my team drafted him. Again, that’s called being objective.

Chomsky22

Aug 1, 2022
People seem to think he’s on the smaller side. I think he’s listed at 5 feet 10 inches, but I also heard an NHL scout say recently that he’s a little taller than Macklin Celebrini, coming in a little over six feet. Do you think his size may be an issue in the NHL?

No, that is wrong. I think he’s got to about 184 (centimeters or 6.04 feet) now, around that. He’s a little taller than me. I think he’ll grow further, too. People usually still grow until they’re 20. I think his father is about 185, something like that. I think he’ll grow.

What do you know about him off the ice and his work ethic?

What impresses me about him is his personality. He’s a great guy; everyone loves him. In the locker room, he’s a true leader. He’s a guy who wants to do everything to get success in hockey. His daily routine is like this: He comes to the rink and has a two-hour warmup, practices, then stays on the rink, maybe sleeps a bit, and then an hour in the gym. If they give it to him, he’ll spend additional time on the ice or he will go off ice and go to the shooting room. He’s very dedicated.

How good do you actually think he is?

I’ve watched a lot of Demidov, and I watched the World Juniors to watch Celebrini. And I thought, who’s better, Celebrini or Demidov? I think Demidov is better just in terms of his creativity, in terms of his skating, in terms of how he thinks the game. He’s a great skater. He’ll have one-minute shifts and never stop, always moving. His legs are always moving and he has great separation speed. He’s a team player first of all. His passes are just marvelous. He can give you a saucer between three sticks. His shot needs improvement, but he’s working on it.
I heard a player can’t be loaned out to another KHL team if he’s in the final year of his contract. Is that true?

Yes. If his contract was for two more years, he could be loaned out. He could be loaned out to Sochi and he would play there. He would gain a lot of minutes and all that. But he can’t now because he’s in the final year of his contract.

Do you understand NHL teams’ likely reluctance to draft Demidov?

Yeah, because if you don’t see a player in person, if you don’t go to the rink to see him playing, that could be a problem, for sure. Maybe you don’t trust whoever is telling you about him or you’re not sure how great a prospect he is because he’s playing an easy game or you don’t know how he behaves on the bench and stuff like that.

If you were advising the Blackhawks, would you recommend drafting Demidov?

Yeah, I think so. I’m familiar with (Artyom) Levshunov, too. Not as well as Demidov, but I know Levshunov was recruited by KHL teams, refused and went to the U.S. He’s a pretty good player. But I think Demidov has more talent. He’s a guy who can do it all. If his shot can improve a bit, he’ll be a 50-goal forward, for sure.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
People seem to think he’s on the smaller side. I think he’s listed at 5 feet 10 inches, but I also heard an NHL scout say recently that he’s a little taller than Macklin Celebrini, coming in a little over six feet. Do you think his size may be an issue in the NHL?

No, that is wrong. I think he’s got to about 184 (centimeters or 6.04 feet) now, around that. He’s a little taller than me. I think he’ll grow further, too. People usually still grow until they’re 20. I think his father is about 185, something like that. I think he’ll grow.

What do you know about him off the ice and his work ethic?

What impresses me about him is his personality. He’s a great guy; everyone loves him. In the locker room, he’s a true leader. He’s a guy who wants to do everything to get success in hockey. His daily routine is like this: He comes to the rink and has a two-hour warmup, practices, then stays on the rink, maybe sleeps a bit, and then an hour in the gym. If they give it to him, he’ll spend additional time on the ice or he will go off ice and go to the shooting room. He’s very dedicated.

How good do you actually think he is?

I’ve watched a lot of Demidov, and I watched the World Juniors to watch Celebrini. And I thought, who’s better, Celebrini or Demidov? I think Demidov is better just in terms of his creativity, in terms of his skating, in terms of how he thinks the game. He’s a great skater. He’ll have one-minute shifts and never stop, always moving. His legs are always moving and he has great separation speed. He’s a team player first of all. His passes are just marvelous. He can give you a saucer between three sticks. His shot needs improvement, but he’s working on it.
I heard a player can’t be loaned out to another KHL team if he’s in the final year of his contract. Is that true?

Yes. If his contract was for two more years, he could be loaned out. He could be loaned out to Sochi and he would play there. He would gain a lot of minutes and all that. But he can’t now because he’s in the final year of his contract.

Do you understand NHL teams’ likely reluctance to draft Demidov?

Yeah, because if you don’t see a player in person, if you don’t go to the rink to see him playing, that could be a problem, for sure. Maybe you don’t trust whoever is telling you about him or you’re not sure how great a prospect he is because he’s playing an easy game or you don’t know how he behaves on the bench and stuff like that.

If you were advising the Blackhawks, would you recommend drafting Demidov?

Yeah, I think so. I’m familiar with (Artyom) Levshunov, too. Not as well as Demidov, but I know Levshunov was recruited by KHL teams, refused and went to the U.S. He’s a pretty good player. But I think Demidov has more talent. He’s a guy who can do it all. If his shot can improve a bit, he’ll be a 50-goal forward, for sure.
Where’s this from? Who is the interviewee?

Reactions: Garbageyuk

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
And I cannot say Nashville capitalize on Set Jones value in return of Johansen. Then, to say, we need to get the BPA and make a trade after. This is not true that you gonna get the value you want for the player. PHil’y received Drysdale for Cutter Gauthier. This is disgusting. GM are really cheap right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad